AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The subject pretty much says it all. I'm wondering what you guys used/auditioned for amps? I'm very close to buying a DC-1 and will be getting the 9i's once I have the cash saved (I've also been quite good this year so Santa may surprise me:rolleyes: )

I'm after a warmer sound to complement the 9i's sound. I haven't done much amp auditioning because I recently decided to go with separates. I have heard the Anthem MAC-5 and was referred to the Rotel 1095 but haven listened yet. My system will mainly be for HT with a 80/20 split.

thanks for your help and advice

Jake

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm currently using a Sony ES50 receiver and (3) Parasound mono amps.

I've also used my brother-in-laws Denon 5800 and it sounded great.

I also have a old Onkyo receiver that sounds a little bright with this speakers but its their cheapest model .

When I audition the speakers they were hooked up to sunfire amplification and it just ROCKED

·
Registered
44 Posts
jake,

my wife and i have used the Silver 9's, Silver 12 center and Silver 5's (rear) for close to 2 years. our amplifier of choice is the Sherborun 5/1500. other amps we have had in the system are; parasound 2205, cinepro 3k6, and for the first 2 weeks after getting the speakers, marantz ma-500 monoblocks. the parasound and cinepro were both outstanding in every regard. we loved them both, and still have them doing duties elsewhere.

the Sherbourn however, is just plain magical with the Monitors. the bottom end is nothing less than stunning. the amplifier has one of the best sounding bottom ends you'll ever hear, and it controls the 9's bass with an iron fist. the top end is completely free from any glare, grain or other type nastiness, but the detail is almost spooky. the soundstage is front yard big when asked to

be, and the speakers literally vanish with good recordings. the bottom line is that a combination of gear in this price range simply cannot sound this good. (try the Silver 5's alone with this amp and a good preamp sometime. this combo was giving both of us goosebumps last night!) Finally, be sure fill the speakers with lead shot. best wishes putting your system together. enjoy!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'll second the vote for B&K. The Ref 7250 sounds wonderful with Monitor 9i's.

I tried Parasound, but it sounded a bit thin for my taste.

I think a minimum of 200 watts/channel are a must for the MA gear.

You've got to get the amps home and try them out!

I also found that mass loading the Monitor speakers (added sand to the base - about 1 1/2 - 2 cups worth per speaker) provided a much nicer sound - cut the treble resonance - softened/deepened the bass.

Enjoy,

John

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is fantastic, I have a hard time finding anything on the forum about the MA's. So I wasn't sure I'd get any response

I don't know why I didn't think of it before but I was looking at the B&K 307 before I decided to look at separates and I really liked that combination, so I will definitely check out them

I will try and find dealers locally to listen to the other amps and I appreciate a push in the right direction

reddavid said
Quote:
I think a minimum of 200 watts/channel are a must for the MA gear.
With out actually owning the speakers I might mis speak but the 9i's sounded great even with minimal power. So I was thinking 200 watts Max. Should I rethink this and go for more power?

thanks

Jake

·
Registered
750 Posts
Jake,

Although the Silver 9i's sounded pretty good with minimal power, they will sound better with more... Even 300 wpc would be better (but a lot more costly)... Just plan on a long road of upgrading... I'd look into the NAD's or the Sherbourn...

-Bob

·
Registered
688 Posts
Jake,

I ran my Silver 5i, Centre10, FX Surrounds with the Denon AVR3300 for over a year.

However, I recently upgraded to the Model 750 and couldn't be happier (about 10x happier). 5 x 165 W @ 8Ohms nominal and it delivers absolute uncolored sound. The 750 does not add warmth nor does it ehance any top end harshness. This amplifier is totally neutral; real instruments, voices, etc arrives to your ears uncolored.

Of note, my Silver Series had a long break in time before they came out this beautiful! I have read many articles and readers opinions that indeed they also had to break-in the speakers at least a month.

Try the Outlaw. It's a steal at $1175! Besides, you have 30days to demo it.

Let us know what you decide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.