AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a brand new cary audio cinema six ...to match a set of monitor audio 8i surround package I'm not to happy on the amp side i have and old

power master 500 ( 5 channel)....so i do want to upgrade to and amp that

can handle metal tweeters and doesn't sound to bright...what are my options here?....may be i should leave the power master for the surrounds and get a three channel amp or go for 5 channel ? what brands will be the best for this set up.....thank you

·
Registered
983 Posts
I don't know what your budget is, but Cary has the Cinema2, Cinema3, Cinema5 and Cinema7 amplifiers (each model number reflecting the amount of channels). Except for the Cinema7 which is 100 watts/channel into 8 ohms, the rest are 200 watts/channel into 8 and 350 into 4 ohms.

Go to their site:

www.caryaudio.com

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Columbia, the Cinema 7 amp lists close to $2000 I believe. I'm using the Cinema 5, and I can tell you it's a great match for the Cinema 6. But there's a good review of the 6&7 together on Cary's web site. I don't think you could go wrong unless you really need the extra watts (I think the 7 is like 125 WPC but I'm not sure).

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
OK a slight reversal here. Personally I've come to the conclusion that for best sound quality and most versatility with equipment, it's best to hold out for a 200 wpc amp. Since I'm auditioning new speakers now I especially see how true that is.

Though the Cinema 7 is undoubtably a good amp and would match up well with your Cinema 6, if I had the $2K to spend, I think I'd check audiogon for a good 200WPC 5 or 7 channel amp that has a reputation of being good with music (because the Cinema 6 definitely is).

Amps are the one thing that you never get rid of if you get quality in the first place - and for the many different speakers and rooms you'll be playing them in over the years, I think a 200 WPC high quality amp will serve you best in the long run. Just IMO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what are the amps on the 200watts range that are good with music and can be a potential match for the cinema six on the use market? do you have anything that you will recommend?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Since the Cinema 6 has a slightly warm, laid back, and non fatiguing presentation, I'd look for the same in an amp. Maybe DredNaughts, Proceeds, Sunfires etc. But these are just guesses. I'd go over to the forums at Audiogon and pose that question. It's more of a high end crowd over there - and you generally get good information. And when you see a piece on A-gon that looks interesting, google it for reviews, looking for statements like "musically engaging" etc.

Heck, I even saw a brand new Cinema 5 for $2300 there a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
One other thought is to call Cary directly and tell them you're looking for a $2000 200WPC used 5 channel amp. And which amps would mate especially well with your Cinema 6. Their tech support is very helpful, I've asked for recommendations for speakers, interconnects etc. BTW, they seem to like MIT and Tarra Labs for interconnects and speaker wire.

Who knows, you might even score a slightly used unit from them..

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
200 watts per channel would be good, but if your speakers are sensitive enough (>90 dB) and nominally 6-8 ohm, a 100 watt amp with high current capability should be sufficient for a normal listening room. That said, I think you can get Adcom and Parasound amps (new) at your price at Audio Advisor, and some Aragon amps for a little more. And don't forget Gemstone's new amp.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Since the whole Cary system is new for me it's hard to tell if I'm listening to the amp or preamp. But all the HT systems I heard before were either bright and dynamic with HT and bad for music, or good with music but dead sounding in HT.

The Cary manages to be very revealing of details, yet smooth and totally non-fatiguing on the top end - even with my B&W 804 tweeters. And with all the revealing of details, it's still biased towards the smooth and warm. It's amazingly dynamic for music and HT yet on music not over-dynamic but realistic sounding. Timbre sounds full, rich and accurate, and I'm getting crazy imaging I never had before.

It seems to transcend so many of the trade-offs I'm used to hearing, especially with HT setups, but even with 2 channel systems. Again, I don't know how much of this is attributed to the amp or the preamp, but all I know is together they're great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm on the road Right now .....as a service-tech for a alarm company i do have to travel a lot ....but i will be back on Friday and call this people

thanks ht-crazy i probably can get a deal.... you never now....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.