AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We're in the midst of a home renovation and I'm going to be adding In-Ceiling speakers in the family room (for rear surrounds), and a pair in the Dining Room (for ambient music).

Originally I had planned to use Bowers & Wilkins / B&W CCM 662 or 663 speakers with their matching back box (BB 6C). They run about $750/pair.

The way the ceiling is framed out, it doesn't look like there's room for this speaker & backbox combination. So my AV contractor is recommending Monitor Audio CP series speakers -- they include a sealed enclosure that's permanently molded to the speaker. I'd be looking at something like the CP-CT150 ($530/pair), or CP-CT260 ($750/pair) I think, if I stay with the round format.

Question: I'm not familiar with Monitor Audio as a brand --- it sounds like they are pretty well respected, but I haven't shopped for speakers in a long time (my HT is a Paradigm "Monitor" setup with an SVS subwoofer). Not too familiar with Monitor Audio --- are they well liked and considered a good competitor to Paradigm and B&W?

Does anyone have the Monitor Audio CP (Controlled Performance) series speakers, either round or square versions, and have any feedback?

Or anybody have an opinion about Monitor Audio vs. B&W for an in-ceiling application?

Thanks,
timingchain

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry I can't offer much insight, but I'd like to see some helpful suggestions on this thread as I'm also debating between B&W in-ceiling speakers or Monitor Audio. I've been a B&W devotee for nearly two decades, but I'm impressed with what I've seen from MA and they appear to be a leader when it comes to in-ceiling (or in-wall) solutions.

For my house renovation, I'm debating between B&W CCM665s or MA CT280s for the following rooms:
1. Living room -- for the rear channels in my 5.1 surround system. This room is small with the sofa right up against the wall, so thinking in-ceiling is the best option that will keep the wife happy.
2. Kitchen -- for two-channel audio (connected to a Sonos connect amp).
3. Master bathroom -- for two-channel audio (connected to a Sonos connect amp).

I would also welcome suggestions on other models that I should be considering. Many thanks for any help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andrew, I ended up auditioning the Monitor Audio CP-CT150 vs. the B&W CCM 663 -- and both I and the wife strongly preferred the sound of the Monitor. She couldn't believe what a difference there was.
We chose Monitor Audio CP-CT150s in the dining room, and CP-WT140LCRs as rear-channel surrounds in the ceiling. The 140LCRs are an unusual choice for a surround speaker, but I was space constrained and they just barely fit. Will follow up with a review once we get them connected to some equipment..

·
Registered
844 Posts
Curious as to how you guys are liking the monitor Audios? I too have B&W's, 704's and an HTM7 center. I need some in ceiling surrounds. Suggestions?? Was considering some used CCM817's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.