AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my fronts and center, I have boiled my choices down to the MA RX6 and B&W 683. Was able to listen to the older RS6 as well as the 683. Initial reaction - the 683 was terrific. Felt the music envelop me in a lovely soothing way along with great separation and the highs were mellow and non-fatiguing. Some of it may have to do with the fact that this store had higher-end electronics driving it.

The RS6 were very clear and sounded great too, but a tad bright. I also got the feeling that separation was not as good, and it made the sound as if all coming from the center, whereas the 683 was able to separate instruments better while still maintaining the center-location for vocals. However, the RS6 had somewhat more 'regular' electronics, so I am not sure what to attribute the difference to (including different store layouts).

Am therefore looking for suggestions between these - the RX6 and 683. I have heard the RX6 is better than RS6 with technology from the Gold line, and it is mellower as well. I also much prefer the way RX6 look, and they are about $400 cheaper too than the 683. But just can't get over how sweet the 683 sounded. But if the RX6 are close to the 683, I would rather take that for better looks as well as the savings.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yea I have to agree that the B&W 600 series leave a little to be desired in the looks department, definitely not eye candy and cabinets look real cheap. But man do the 683s perform well! I owned a pair and they where a definite step up from the other 600 series B&Ws (Which are all great performing for what they are as I've owned them all - the little 685 bookshelf speakers even though don't perform as good as the 683 are even more impressive because of what they do for such a small speaker).

If you want the looks with B&W, sadly you have to move up the line.
Maybe the B&W CM9? I have to admit those Monitor Audio speakers (RX6) look much better than the B&W 600 series, more in line with the B&W CM series (best I can tell from pictures) but you say the 683 still sounded better (oh wait, you listened to the RS6) but it was different room/electronics?

Honestly, I would bring them home and on your own system (which is what I did with the B&W 600s - I got a 7 day in-home trial from a local dealer) or at the very least swap them back and forth in the same room, gear, and position (how I compared the 683 to it's high-end brother- the 804S which I'm now a proud owner of!
)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I am a big fan of both, do you have a sub? If it were me I would be comparing the RX6 to B&W CM5.

I doubt the higher end electronics caused much sound difference.

Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both! Unfortunately, the dealers here charge 5-10% to get the speakrs home but apply it towards purchase price if I buy them. I am trying to avoid that, as the two brands are available in different stores.

As for the CM line, they are a bit beyond my budget, even the CM7.

Ronaldo - Yes I will be using a sub, but I still prefer the floorstanders, as they are more stable with 2 kids!

I also seem to remember that MA are flexible with placing, while B&W need more precision. Also, are the B&W easy to drive with an AVR, or do I need a separate amp for that? The MA I think can be driven easily with the receiver.

·
Registered
975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_in /forum/post/18205981

Thanks both! Unfortunately, the dealers here charge 5-10% to get the speakrs home but apply it towards purchase price if I buy them. I am trying to avoid that, as the two brands are available in different stores.

As for the CM line, they are a bit beyond my budget, even the CM7.

Ronaldo - Yes I will be using a sub, but I still prefer the floorstanders, as they are more stable with 2 kids!

I also seem to remember that MA are flexible with placing, while B&W need more precision. Also, are the B&W easy to drive with an AVR, or do I need a separate amp for that? The MA I think can be driven easily with the receiver.

I think you'll be perfectly fine if you're crossing over to a sub and still ok running full range if you don't like to blast the volume. I did run my Yamaha RX-663 into protection mode multiple times running the B&W 683s full range at loud volumes with bass intensive music. Crossing over to a sub you should be perfectly fine. I went with a Emotiva XPA-5 so that I'll always have a nice amp for the more demanding situations I can always carry over from processor to processor and I'll never have to worry about the quality of an AVR amp again. BTW, my dealer didn't charge me anything to in-home demo the B&Ws. Full refund on returning the speakers and full refund towards upgrading to a higher up model.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m /forum/post/18207155

I think you'll be perfectly fine if you're crossing over to a sub and still ok running full range if you don't like to blast the volume. I did run my Yamaha RX-663 into protection mode multiple times running the B&W 683s full range at loud volumes with bass intensive music. Crossing over to a sub you should be perfectly fine. I went with a Emotiva XPA-5 so that I'll always have a nice amp for the more demanding situations I can always carry over from processor to processor and I'll never have to worry about the quality of an AVR amp again. BTW, my dealer didn't charge me anything to in-home demo the B&Ws. Full refund on returning the speakers and full refund towards upgrading to a higher up model.

My Onkyo 707 has similar ratings as your Yamaha 663, so I guess it should be fine in that sense. I may add an amp later down the line as well.

How does the 683 behave for HT? Do you think being warm takes away any of the detail from movies and dialogs?

If anyone out there has listened to both the RX6 and 683, it would be great to know your opinion. If mellowed RX6 sounds similar in warmth to 683, I may go that way.

Btw, what kind of % discounts off MSRP have people got on B&W's?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts