AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always gotten excellent advice from you folks, so I am going to ask for a little more help from the collective wisdom.

I have decent setup based the Monitor Audio Silver 5i's they are mainly used as a stereo pair to listen to vinyl, and I am pleased with the setup. But when I fire up the Sanyo Z2 and watch some big budget explosion extravaganza they just don't have the low end to knock my socks off. So I am looking for advice on what sub would be a good compliment. Now I don't have the budget to buy anything good so I am looking for something to punch up movies, and for everything else be turned off. My room is 15 x 10, and I have a Denon AVR-3300 for surround purposes. And the bad part is $200 to spend, I also have a full wood shop so DIY is option is well as used on eBay. As I just decided to head in this direction yesterday I have no preconceived notions, so fire away.

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello Jim... you may have given the folks here an impossible task... coming up with a subwoofer that "matches" your Monitor Audio, on only $200. Prolly better to post on the DIY thread... or over on the htguide.com forum.

I have a set of RS6, RS1 and RRSLCR... and opted for a B-stock SVS SB12-Plus. Almost 3X your budget, but only a little over a one foot cube, rosenut... both making for a high WAF.

It all comes down to opportunity cost: time, capital investment in woodworking equipment, woodworking skill, immediacy... oh, and did I mention WAF?

P.S. It will be the first dedicated subwoofer I ever owned. But if it brings as much "satisfaction" as my early 60's AR-3's, I'll be ecstatic!!!!! The AR-3's were also acoustic suspension, 12" woofers... we'll just have to wait and see if the SVS is as good

1 - 2 of 2 Posts