AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all,

Fairly new to this but:

I am looking for some advice on some floorstanding speakers, specifically the Monitor Audio Silver 6 and the Thiel CS1.7.  I have listened to PSB Image T6, B&W 683, Goldenear, KEF's, Martin Logans, and the Silver 6's really stood out to me.  While the Thiels are more expensive, they are available used with warranty for ~2k for the pair (possibly negotiable), I really liked the sound of them the most - although the sound was very different.  For anyone that has listened to both of these speakers:

1. I am going to be using Yamaha RX-A830 receiver to power the setup.  Mostly used for music.  What I'm wondering is if the Thiels will sound good with this setup, or whether a separate amp will be required to make them sound good (I've only heard them in showroom setup, and I'm nervous they wouldn't sound as good on my receiver).  Also, I will be starting to use them in 2 channel setup, with hopes of eventually building a 5.1 system down the line for movies, but not right away.  

2. I'm assuming the Silver 6's would work well on my receiver, but correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Is there any other speakers I should listen to before making my decision?  Max budget 2k for the set.

Thanks in advance for any response.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
As someone who had Thiel 2.3's and 1.6's your going to get your best results w/a separate amp. Thiels like power. If you like a lot of bass you'll need a sub. But the mids and top end are very detailed. You'll be seeing a lot of clearances on Thiels in the near future as the company is completely scrapping all of the late Jim Thiel's designs. The 3.7 will be the first to go. Followed by the 2.7 and 1.7. Sad to see but in the future the only similarity between todays Thiels and the models in the future will be the nameplate.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A  /t/1524601/monitor-audio-silver-6-vs-thiel-cs1-7#post_24540170

As someone who had Thiel 2.3's and 1.6's your going to get your best results w/a separate amp. Thiels like power. If you like a lot of bass you'll need a sub. But the mids and top end are very detailed. You'll be seeing a lot of clearances on Thiels in the near future as the company is completely scrapping all of the late Jim Thiel's designs. The 3.7 will be the first to go. Followed by the 2.7 and 1.7. Sad to see but in the future the only similarity between todays Thiels and the models in the future will be the nameplate.

Sad 😢

1 - 3 of 3 Posts