AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever compared the Monitor Audio Silver RS8 to either of the PSB Image T55 or T65 speakers? I like my PSB T65 but I'm always on the lookout for a shorter speaker which has similar sound quality, bass response and sensitivity. The Silver RS8 looks like a T65 but with three 6" drivers instead of 6.5" drivers. Also not sure if the top woofer/midrange goes down to the bass or if it's crossed-over higher and/or in it's own enclosure. These speakers look like a decent compromise for a shorter speaker vs my PSB Image T65's. Not sure if they are better than the T55's though.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/...mage-T55-Tower

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...oduct=5&area=2

Has anybody compared these speakers?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Too bad we didn't live nearer to each other, as then we could do a temporary swap with our speakers, as I've got the T55s. I sometimes second guess myself for not going with the larger speaker. OTOH, the T65s are very deep in dimension, and the taller confiuration makes the tweeters that much further from my center speaker's. Still, I wouldn't mind more midbass.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
My general impression of PSB vs. MA is that MA's soundstage better and are a little more refined, but can't crank like PSB's. That's been my experience thus far.

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/15566408

Too bad we didn't live nearer to each other, as then we could do a temporary swap with our speakers, as I've got the T55s. I sometimes second guess myself for not going with the larger speaker. OTOH, the T65s are very deep in dimension, and the taller confiuration makes the tweeters that much further from my center speaker's. Still, I wouldn't mind more midbass.

True, true. If we lived close, we could get the speakers together and dare to compare. Could always do a swap for a week or two. I am sure I could 'live' with the T55's as I have a subwoofer, but... I always like how two channel music sounds with a large tower. The T65 does have more bass overall. I actually had the 6T's previously and the T65's are a nice boost in overall sound. I actually find the PSB's very bright and detailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/15566466

My general impression of PSB vs. MA is that MA's soundstage better and are a little more refined, but can't crank like PSB's. That's been my experience thus far.

Right. I want a shorter speaker, but I'm seeing that the RS8 wouldn't quite match the PSB for bass and cranking the volume. Still, it's interesting to get feedback.

thanks guys,

P.S. I actually want to find somebody to split center channel speakers with. Whether I keep the T65's, go with T55's or say the MA Silver RS8's... I plan to use a 3rd identical tower as a center channel speaker.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc /forum/post/15568714

True, true. If we lived close, we could get the speakers together and dare to compare. Could always do a swap for a week or two. I am sure I could 'live' with the T55's as I have a subwoofer, but... I always like how two channel music sounds with a large tower. The T65 does have more bass overall. I actually had the 6T's previously and the T65's are a nice boost in overall sound. I actually find the PSB's very bright and detailed.

no no no .. Axioms and Klipsch are bright. PSB I find more laid back man

I even found the tweeters on the Image series to be less etchy than the Monitor series from Parardigm.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db /forum/post/15569456

no no no .. Axioms and Klipsch are bright. PSB I find more laid back man

I even found the tweeters on the Image series to be less etchy than the Monitor series from Parardigm.

Depending on which PSB. The Alpha B1 is very laid back on the high end but dynamic everywhere else. The Image line is very bright but not in any way thin.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/15570443

Depending on which PSB. The Alpha B1 is very laid back on the high end but dynamic everywhere else. The Image line is very bright but not in any way thin.

I have the Image T45s and find them laid back comapred to teh Axioms and Paradigms I heard.

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well let me say that my PSB Image T65's are very bright, very detailed and very revealing, almost harsh and crispy, when paired with my Marantz SR9600 receiver. The 9600 is known for it's revealing detail, so it's not entirely the speakers fault. Once I finally get around to treating the room, I'll have a better idea once and for all how the setup will sound.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have, I auditioned the RS8 and T65 against each other last year at a local dealer who carries both brands. Here's my post copied from another site:

Quote:
Source component: Marantz DV6001 (DVDP)

Amplifier: Marantz SR5003 (A/V receiver)

The dealer had a sweet setup, a bunch of speakers were all lined up against the wall and there was an electronic switch panel to switch among them at will. Speakers I listened to:

- Monitor Audio RS1 (bookshelf)

- Monitor Audio RS8 (tower)

- PSB Alpha B1 (bookshelf)

- PSB Image T55 (tower)

- PSB Image T65 (tower)

Scattered impressions:

First I'll start by saying I vastly preferred the Monitor Audio RS8 among all the others. It took a while for me to develop the preference, there was a wow factor that got in the way with the PSB Image T65. The T65 was a whole lot of punchy bass, and it had a huge, direct mid-range that was like an assault on the ears. A very theatrical-sounding speaker and I immediately felt it's probably a great speaker for movies.

I started out casually switching between all five speakers but shortly realized there was going to be a time black-hole if I didn't start eliminating some, so I spun a reference CD, Andrea Parker's Kiss My Arp, to eliminate the ones that sucked at low bass. These included the Monitor RS1, PSB Alpha B1, and PSB T55. I stopped listening to these speakers after I ran through some tracks off the CD.

So it was between the RS8 and T65, and I certainly was knocked out by the T65's mid-range and bass - they were omnipresent and filled the room with authority. However, in comparison to the RS8, it had a really narrow soundstage, as if it was projecting a 20-30 degree radial off its axis. The bass also went out of hand on several occassions - it was punchy but it also seemed unnecessarily boomy, and there was a complete lack of control on it. I hate lack of bass control and this quickly got on my nerves. Oh it was fun, I gave it that, but I want more than just "fun" from Porcupine Tree (In Absentia) and The Crystal Method (Vegas).

The RS8 took a significantly more laidback seat than the T65 and sounded downright conservative in comparison. It didn't "rock out" quite as well (and required more amp volume to rock), but it had a much larger soundstage that spread out radially very nicely. There was a much greater illusion of the speakers "disappearing" with the RS8 than any other speaker in the room - the music filling space, with absolutely no sense it was being pushed from somewhere. The RS8 also sounded clearer than the T65, with no muddying of mid-bass or lower-mids, while the T65 did sound muddy in that area. The RS8 also had a very balanced frequency response and very controlled bass - maybe a little too controlled, at times I wished it had more low bass.

The RS8 impressed me but it didn't bowl me over. I suspect it would've bowled me over if it had been fed by a better source and amplifier...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc /forum/post/15572904

Well let me say that my PSB Image T65's are very bright, very detailed and very revealing, almost harsh and crispy, when paired with my Marantz SR9600 receiver. The 9600 is known for it's revealing detail, so it's not entirely the speakers fault. Once I finally get around to treating the room, I'll have a better idea once and for all how the setup will sound.

I've heard that speaker paired with a Marantz, Cary, Onkyo, CEC, Denon, and tube stuff. It's the speakers that are bright. I'd pair them with an ICE based amp that's revealing and dynamic but dark on the top end.

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting feedback. Thanks guys.

Although I like the idea of a shorter speaker that sounds good, I don't find the bass of the T65's too much or out of control. I'll see if I can't give the RS8's a listen and get an idea myself for how they sound. One of the main reasons I like the PSB T65's is the low bass extention, so if I tried another speaker and lost that low bass, I wouldn't be too keen on that option.

As far as changing amplification, that would require other decisions. I have a Marantz SR9600 and it's got plenty of clean steam power, so changing amplification would cause me to re-think my receiver. I'd probably get a Marantz AV8300 with amps instead.

One comment I have to add about the T65's is the bass quality. I have never had a problem with too much bass, and in fact, I am always amazed at how low and clean the bass is from these speakers. The bass goes deep and sounds "tight" to use an old school term. That is the main issue I have with substituting shorter speakers. I will miss this good low bass.

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/15579921

I've heard that speaker paired with a Marantz, Cary, Onkyo, CEC, Denon, and tube stuff. It's the speakers that are bright. I'd pair them with an ICE based amp that's revealing and dynamic but dark on the top end.

Any suggestions for an amp that won't break the bank? I could always sell/upgrade the SR9600 to an AV8003 and some amps, but, I don't want to too badly into 'further' debt...

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I think I'm in a different boat that most. I perfered the sound of the T55's over the T65's. I own a pair of RS1's I used as computer speakers, which have now been pushed to surround duty. They're ok, but the tweeter really needs about a 2-3db l-pad, or even just encorporate a BBC dip, but that might just be me.

Being that the RS8's have more "woofage" it may help warm up the sound and keep the tweeters from sounding so overbearing...I have yet to hear a pair of RS8's.

For amps, check out Emotiva.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc /forum/post/15572904

How is your room configured now? Are there lots of bare walls, bare hardwood floors etc? That certainly would emphasize the highs and make them sound crispy.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrale /forum/post/15578168

I have, I auditioned the RS8 and T65 against each other last year at a local dealer who carries both brands. Here's my post copied from another site:

How close to the walls were the T65s? They need alot of room to breathe and putting them xclose to any wall will cause excessive bass.

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are hard surfaces here. Carpeted floor, drywall ceiling and walls. concrete underneath and concrete back wall. I'm working on a plan to soften the room. Thing is, it didn't sound like this with my 14EX but when I switched to the SR9600 more detail seemed to be exposed such that some recordings sound sort of distorted. Mostly older recordings. Case in point are the cymbal crashes on Crazy on You, the Heart song. Now, I have heard the distortion on other stereo's, even a cheap car stereo, but it doesn't stand out the same way as it does with my Marantz SR9600 + PSB Image T655 setup.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc /forum/post/15594981

There are hard surfaces here. Carpeted floor, drywall ceiling and walls. concrete underneath and concrete back wall. I'm working on a plan to soften the room. Thing is, it didn't sound like this with my 14EX but when I switched to the SR9600 more detail seemed to be exposed such that some recordings sound sort of distorted. Mostly older recordings. Case in point are the cymbal crashes on Crazy on You, the Heart song. Now, I have heard the distortion on other stereo's, even a cheap car stereo, but it doesn't stand out the same way as it does with my Marantz SR9600 + PSB Image T655 setup.

It could be that you now have a system that can't hide a bad recording. The Image series are a very revealing speakers and I've found a few recordings in my collection that sound a little off. The good recordings however, sound amazing.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc /forum/post/15584229

Any suggestions for an amp that won't break the bank? I could always sell/upgrade the SR9600 to an AV8003 and some amps, but, I don't want to too badly into 'further' debt...

If it's a power amp, either Emotiva (Class AB I think) or Wyred 4 Sound and D-Sonic for ICEPower based Class D. All below $1K I think. Or do you want integrated?

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/15601686

If it's a power amp, either Emotiva (Class AB I think) or Wyred 4 Sound and D-Sonic for ICEPower based Class D. All below $1K I think. Or do you want integrated?

Problem is I am using the SR9600 as my stereo and surround/multi-channel listening system for everything. I'd need many amp channels.

I'll go listen to the RS8's and see what I think. I have actually given up on D the newer ICE type classoutboard amps for a while simply because they appear to be out of my budget at $2995 for a 7 channel amp.

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc /forum/post/15565916

Has anybody ever compared the Monitor Audio Silver RS8 to either of the PSB Image T55 or T65 speakers? I like my PSB T65 but I'm always on the lookout for a shorter speaker which has similar sound quality, bass response and sensitivity.

Has anybody compared these speakers?

I had some RS8's and got rid of them in favor of some Infinity Primus 360's. I'd be very careful moving to the RS8's away from a quality product like a PSB. The Monitor's have a wonderful form factor, and they look incredible, but I don't have any faith in the Monitor Audio brand after my experience with those speakers. The far-cheaper Primus 360's imaged far better, and had much flatter, tighter bass (could be the room interaction though) and played just as loud and clean as the $1500 RS8's. I tried moving the RS8's around as much as possible, playing with the port plugs, etc., but couldn't get a good image from them, and I could never get rid of the boomy bass. I've since replaced the Primus 360's with Revel F32's, and the difference between the Revel's and what I remember from the Monitors is far greater. And none of the Harman speakers I've owned have been any trouble to place. Just plop 'em in and they perform.

Because of that experience, I'd suggest caution on the RS8's at the very least.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts