AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I have just bought a Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 set which includes the VW8 sub.
This hums quite loudly - it is audible eight feet away, and audible about quiet sections.
I have mailed MA with no reply - is this normal?
If not, then I'll return it to AudioVisualOnline; if it is normal I'd be very surprised as the other five speakers are excellent.
Best wishes to you all
Tony

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi All
I have just bought a Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 set which includes the VW8 sub.
This hums quite loudly - it is audible eight feet away, and audible about quiet sections.
I have mailed MA with no reply - is this normal?
If not, then I'll return it to AudioVisualOnline; if it is normal I'd be very surprised as the other five speakers are excellent.
Best wishes to you all
Tony
PS Should have said - the hum is a steady state.
It does it when nothing is connected, and is unaffected by changes in volume.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Could be DC on AC line? I'm getting humming from a amplifier that isn't connected to anything, but the pitch changes and not all the time.

Or it could be a faulty plate amp, bad capaictors in power supply. Or vibration from the PSU.

It can be many things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be DC on AC line? I'm getting humming from a amplifier that isn't connected to anything, but the pitch changes and not all the time.

Or it could be a faulty plate amp, bad capaictors in power supply. Or vibration from the PSU.

It can be many things.
Yeah, AudioVisualOnline say hum you can hear 8 feet away is normal for "cheap" subwoofers like the Monitor Audio VW8.
Oddly enough, they don't mention this on their website before you buy, where it is described as "suitable for high performance home theatre systems" and they refuse to replace it.
I thought they were a respected company and am surprised, both at Monitor Audio's quality and AVO's customer care.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Don't accept that, I have a cheap Yamaha YST subwoofer and it doesn't produce any hum at all. 8' distance is not acceptable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't accept that, I have a cheap Yamaha YST subwoofer and it doesn't produce any hum at all. 8' distance is not acceptable.
Thanks FB
I think AudioVisualOnline are low on stock, and don't want to swap it out.
I've mailed them again for more info
Cheers
Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts