AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running i3-2100 with HDMI going to my TV port 1, and DVI going to my computer monitor.

When I turn on the TV and it's set to HDMI 1, the monitor goes black, the picture displays on the TV, and then is cloned onto the monitor (which is fine). The problem occurs when the TV is turned on when HDMI 2 was the last input used. The monitor goes black, comes back after a second, goes black, comes back, and so on and so on, until I set the TV to HDMI 1 (and then go back to HDMI 2 like I wanted) or unplug the cable.

I like that it auto-detects the TV being turned on, but I do not like that it can't figure out that HDMI 2 is being used. Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing.

TV is LG 42pw350

i3-2100 with latest drivers

Windows 7 Ultimate

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
493 Posts
While I do think it is weird to use both a TV and a monitor, due to the fact that one is usually considerably larger than the other, you probably need to go into the display settings to remove the dual/mirror display option, and independently set each screen's resolution. If it's a laptop, you might need to set a hotkey.

While I can definitely see where you'd encounter this scenario w/ a laptop, it still seems rather weird, perhaps even more since laptop screens are even smaller than desktop monitor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The monitor is on my desk which I use for general computing purposes. The TV is in the living room and used for entertainment purposes. I'll try to set each resolution independently and see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hceuterpe /forum/post/20825605

While I do think it is weird to use both a TV and a monitor, due to the fact that one is usually considerably larger than the other, you probably need to go into the display settings to remove the dual/mirror display option, and independently set each screen's resolution. If it's a laptop, you might need to set a hotkey.

While I can definitely see where you'd encounter this scenario w/ a laptop, it still seems rather weird, perhaps even more since laptop screens are even smaller than desktop monitor.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I use a monitor and a plasma TV and have for two years. Until last week I used a Radeon 4670 graphics card and ATI catalyst in extended mode. I have switched to a Nvidia Asus 440 and now do not use catalyst. So far the only thing I am sure of it that I do not get a picture on the plasma until the HDMI audio handshake is recognized. But it is working pretty well and I am still finding my way around this set up. Tomorrow I am setting up a new AVR and I am hoping it will handle HDMI a little better. I think something has changed in 7MC and I am having a motherboard audio speaker jack problem and a PowerDVD audio video sync problem both of which I am attempting to resolve.

I do not have an I3 and I do not have an answer for your issue. But I can assure you it is possible to use a monitor for computer programs and a TV for entertainment hooked up to one computer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been doing it for awhile with a cloned screen at the same resoultion which was fine with me. I don't need to watch the TV and work at the computer at the same time. The TV was not in its native resolution, but handled the upscaling well.

My beef now is that with this new setup, even simply switching off HDMI 1 (the computer's port) to HDMI 2 will cause my monitor to flash on and off until I switch back to HDMI 1 or unplug the cable. I didn't have this issue with my hd4650 card. Any other ideas??

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I switched out my old Yamaha AVR for a Pioneer vsx-31. Now I need to be careful when I switch off the AVR and the computer is on to go to control panel-Hardware and Sound-Display-connect an exteranl display and unconnect the Pioneer vsx-31, (which is named rather than the Panasonic plasma). I think windows 7 32 bit has tightened up the protected circuit requirements.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm...any other tips on how to get the computer not to auto detect the tv sources?

My main goal is to turn on the TV and have my computer show up (I don't use cable, so this is my main source), but still be able to switch to another source without my computer trying to sync up with my monitor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.