AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I've been looking to upgrade my display that I use for PC gaming. I currently have two 24'' 1080p LCDs, one Dell ST2410 and a Samsung TOC. I play games on my couch, so I'm sitting about three, maybe four feet away.

I've been debating whether to get a 27'' monitor, or a 32'' HDTV. In my limited research I've read that HDTV's will produce input lag, making first-person shooters and other quick games a pain to play. I've also read it won't look anywhere near as good as a monitor due to pixel pitch.

Are HDTV's really that bad for PC gaming? I've used LCD monitors for the last few years and I haven't noticed any input lag (I've read all LCD displays have it), maybe I'm just used to it?

My budget it $350, but would be willing to spend a little more for an HDTV if I find they aren't as troublesome as I've been led to believe. Been looking at this HDTV: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+32%...=227502&loc=01

·
Registered
77" A80J, 48" LG C1, X4700H, 5.1.2 Infinity Primus + Bic PL200
2,162 Posts
The difference is there, but I dont really notice. Ive been using HDTVs for monitors for a few years now. A TN panel monitor will be the smoothest option, but the TV will have better viewing angles and PQ if you go with an IPS varient.

The current LGs (LD350/400/450) are steps below Pansonic and Samsung in PQ, not just little bits, but really noticeable. Howeve the LD450 (and LD450 only) has the fastest input responce thats been tested this year and does proper 4:4:4.

I was deciding between one of those and Panasonic for my GFs tv, and went with Panasonic becuase its just for 360 use and the PQ was just so much better. And the input lag is only 2-3 frames compaired to 1-2 for the LG. And Ive gotten used to 10 frame lag on my LN-46C630/Onkyo reciever combo.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM Audi /forum/post/19577578

The difference is there, but I dont really notice. Ive been using HDTVs for monitors for a few years now. A TN panel monitor will be the smoothest option, but the TV will have better viewing angles and PQ if you go with an IPS varient.

The current LGs (LD350/400/450) are steps below Pansonic and Samsung in PQ, not just little bits, but really noticeable. Howeve the LD450 (and LD450 only) has the fastest input responce thats been tested this year and does proper 4:4:4.

I was deciding between one of those and Panasonic for my GFs tv, and went with Panasonic becuase its just for 360 use and the PQ was just so much better. And the input lag is only 2-3 frames compaired to 1-2 for the LG. And Ive gotten used to 10 frame lag on my LN-46C630/Onkyo reciever combo.

Are there any HDTV's better than the LG I posted for ~400 or less? Which Panasonic/Samsungs are better so I can look for deals in the coming weeks?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMallory /forum/post/19581710

http://www.amazon.com/LG-32LD450-32-...1310584&sr=1-7

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-32E200...1310584&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-L...1310584&sr=1-5

Are any of these any good? One of 'em I know is an IPS panel.

In regards to input lag, the LG has the lowest (1-2 frames). Followed by Panasonic (2-3 frames) and then Toshiba (3-4 frames). I don't know if you're particularly sensitive to lag, but generally speaking, the 3+ frames mark is when lag becomes noticeable for most folks.

For PC monitor/gaming usage, 4:4:4 subsampling capability is very important. I've only tested the LG, and it passes the 4:4:4 test perfectly fine. I don't know about the other two. But given how hard its to find a 2010 LCD with proper 4:4:4 capability, I'm leaning towards a no.

The LG comes in a variety of panel types, so you're stuck with a panel lottery issue (but fortunately easy to determine panel type from the product code). The two most common are S-IPS and TN, but there are reports now IPS Alpha panels are being used now too. I don't have a comment about the Toshiba's panel, but the Panasonic's should be all IPS Alpha's.

The LG is reported to have an issue of dim edges, see this for an example. I personally have three 32" sets, and while the problem exists on mine, its no where near as bad as that link shows. For me, unless I'm looking at a really bright/white image in a pitch black room, this problem is undetectable. No comment about the Toshiba or Panasonic in regards to this issue.

Edit: Also, the LG has some of the best picture/color settings available for tweaking (ex., 10 IRE, six color hue, etc). The other two are fairly limited on what you can tweak.

All in all, I'm a huge supporter of the LG LD450 series. But I'll admit I haven't spent as much time on the other two sets than I have with the LG.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum /forum/post/19582383

In regards to input lag, the LG has the lowest (1-2 frames). Followed by Panasonic (2-3 frames) and then Toshiba (3-4 frames). I don't know if you're particularly sensitive to lag, but generally speaking, the 3+ frames mark is when lag becomes noticeable for most folks.

For PC monitor/gaming usage, 4:4:4 subsampling capability is very important. I've only tested the LG, and it passes the 4:4:4 test perfectly fine. I don't know about the other two. But given how hard its to find a 2010 LCD with proper 4:4:4 capability, I'm leaning towards a no.

The LG comes in a variety of panel types, so you're stuck with a panel lottery issue (but fortunately easy to determine panel type from the product code). The two most common are S-IPS and TN, but there are reports now IPS Alpha panels are being used now too. I don't have a comment about the Toshiba's panel, but the Panasonic's should be all IPS Alpha's.

The LG is reported to have an issue of dim edges, see this for an example. I personally have three 32" sets, and while the problem exists on mine, its no where near as bad as that link shows. For me, unless I'm looking at a really bright/white image in a pitch black room, this problem is undetectable. No comment about the Toshiba or Panasonic in regards to this issue.

Edit: Also, the LG has some of the best picture/color settings available for tweaking (ex., 10 IRE, six color hue, etc). The other two are fairly limited on what you can tweak.

All in all, I'm a huge supporter of the LG LD450 series. But I'll admit I haven't spent as much time on the other two sets than I have with the LG.

Wow, thanks for the info! Is there any of of chart/graph that shows the input lags for LCD displays, in case I run into another deal online?

Is there any difference in input lag/quality between the LD400 and the LD450? The LD400 is on sale at BB for $350 shipped

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMallory /forum/post/19582830

Wow, thanks for the info! Is there any of of chart/graph that shows the input lags for LCD displays, in case I run into another deal online?

Is there any difference in input lag/quality between the LD400 and the LD450? The LD400 is on sale at BB for $350 shipped

Your best bet is to check out the input lag wars thread. Its a behemoth of a thread, but you should be able to find what you want through the search feature. Barring that, you could also check out the "official xyz" thread for that particular model.

As for LD400 vs. LD450, check out Colmino's excellent comparison between the two. link

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Anyone for an "Official Toshiba 32E200" thread here on AVS? So far, this "gaming" thread is the only one with any mention of the Toshiba. I bought one just before the holidays for a great price and so far am very pleased with it. Just curious if anyone is up for any discussion on this particular model or Toshiba's LCD product line.

=====================

UPDATE: Okay I found it already exists: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19652898

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.