AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently shopping for a replacement for my 30" Samsung (16:9 HD crt). It's treated me well over the past 3 years but the lack of inputs and lack of 720p support has me searching for new. (And, truth be told, it is so heavy my TV stand is sagging in the middle.)

I thought I had settled on the Philips 37PF7320A which has inputs galore (2 HDMI!) until I spotted the gorgeous 37" Westinghouse monitor at Best Buy over lunch today. It lacks HDMI (though it has 2 DVI inputs) and CableCard but supports 1080p and the price difference is so significant that I thought maybe I should reevaluate my need for a tuner.

I currently only watch time-shifted content (TiVo) - never live TV. Other uses of the TV are Xbox, PS2 and DVD. All sources are used in roughly the same amount. Once I make the new purchase I plan to upgrade to HD service and get the HD-PVR from Cox Cable in Orange County, CA. (I'm in the video game industry and expect to add both the 360 and PS3 to the mix once they are released.)

It seems, then, that we're all destined to have some type of box, be it set top from the cable/satelite provider, some type of PVR or otherwise so is the internal tuner really necessary? (Regardless of what the FCC thinks.)

I keep thinking to myself that if I do go the monitor route, someday I'll want that tuner and wish I'd bought the TV instead. (I distinctly remember thinking that 1080i would widely used in video games and not 720p... what a poor prediction!)

I'm sure others have had the same internal debate so I thought I'd post here rather than wracking my brain endlessly. What were the decision factors for others who went through this?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well as far as ATSC goes; it might be kinda okay, especially if you ever think that you might live in an area where you get terrestial HDTV. That is my only regret that I have w/my lt32HVE, in the sense that I may live somewhere in the future where I could get the local channels w/o paying for them.

AS far as DCR/qam/cablecard tuners go, they are great as long as you don't watch a lot of PPV or VOD which won't work as well/at all with cablecard and they certainly don't work with sattelite. And unless your wall mounting it's not that big a deal to have a STB. But if you have a qam tuner you will be able to get the unencrypted HD Channels w/o paying for the HD STB/cable card. If I remember correctly Cablecard 2.0 will elimanate the last of the limitations.

Of course of you use PIP/POP alot then an extra tuner is great, because that is one more source that you have access too. And something I've wondered: If you had a tuner in the TV and a dual tuner PVR, could you watch one thing and record 2 other shows?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I bought the westy mostly as a PC monitor, but have also used it on occassion as a TV. You don't need a tuner these days....I mean are you really going to hook up an antenna to your TV?!? Not any more...those days are long gone for most of us. We'll either use Tivo, or a cable box, or a sat dish. So, no need for a tuner. You want to know the real reason for the tuner? Its import tax law. A monitor imported into the US pays less taxes than a TV...this is to keep Japanese TV imports at a higher price to let our crappy US companies compete against them. (as if any US company can do that). If you like the westy and can live with its poor black levels, then definitely pick it up. It makes a wonderful PC monitor and a nice gaming device. You will notice some ghosting on FPS, but its not bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.