AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
POSSIBLE SPOILERS!. New season just started yesterday) Friday (January 9, 2009).

I just started watching the new episode, and the PQ looks so friggin (excuse my language), SHARP!!!
No more soft picture. Anyone else think so?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If this is Monk's last season, I hope they give it closure ...

Have a super final episode(s), that Allow Monk to finally solve his wife's murder, & in doing so "snap out of" the quirky mental state he's been in since her killing, that forced him to quit the 'force ....

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ Hi MeatChicken. I agree about the part where they should solve Trudy's murder.

And the last 2 episodes, karma chips, the football episode and the swirly episode were great!

Monk--the Defective Detective. And my ALTER ego.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Wait, is this the last season?

I like this show, but I really wish they'd have a more underlying ongoing plot with Trudy's murder. They've only touched on actually trying to solve it a couple times, and none recently.

It would be nice if that was an additional ongoing investigation throughout the series. You know, have the standalone episode like they do now, but maybe sprinkle 3-5 minutes throughout the show to him investigating Trudy's murder as well as following leads and making progress, leading up to a finale where he actually solves it.

EDIT: Just read that season 8 (16 episodes beginning summer '09) will be the last. Guess Tony Shalloub is quitting to do other things.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts
Monk to Clean Up His Final Murder Case in 2009

From TV Guide, by Matt Mitovich Nov 14, 2008

USA Network has announced its pick-up of an eighth and final season of Monk, to debut in the summer of 2009. The OCDetective series, fronted by three-time Emmy winner Tony Shalhoub, will say goodbye with a 16-episode run.

"We want to build to a spectacular conclusion for this wonderful show," USA Network's executive vice president of original programming, Jeff Wachtel, said in making the announcement. " By many measures, Monk is the most successful series in the history of basic cable.... Our fans have been extremely dedicated, and Season 8 should prove to be a very satisfying reward."

Monk delivered series-high ratings last February, with 7.55 million viewers.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts
One Last Season for 'Monk'

From the Hartford Courant, by Roger Catlin November 15, 2008

USA Network is washing its hands -- very fastidiously -- of one of its most successful series.

"Monk" will have one more 16-episode season next summer, but that will be it, the network announced.

For the eighth and last season of the delightful detective yarn about an ex-cop with OCD, network officials hint they'll be wrapping up of one of its longest mysteries -- who killed the wife of ex Det. Adrian Monk.

Tony Shalhoub has won three Emmys in playing the obsessive compulsive lead of the show. They read best lead actor in a comedy, but "Monk" has been more than that, providing satisfying whodunits both for basic cable and during a second run on NBC.

Its theme music has won Emmys as well -- both the first one, an instrumental used only in season one, and the Randy Newman tune "It's a Jungle Out There," which has been used since the second season.

There have been a string of great guests on the show, as well, including two who have won Emmys, John Turturro and Stanley Tucci.

With a splendid ensemble cast, "Monk" deftly maneuvered around two big changes through its run -- the departure of Bitty Schram as his assistant Sharona, who was replaced quite well by Traylor Howard as Natalie; and the death of actor Stanley Kamel, who played his psychiatrist.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Well, I've enjoyed the run from the very beginning. I'm glad we are at least getting one more season out of it.

I'm a little concerned that it is 16 episodes, however. 20 is such a nice round number. Yes, 20 is better than 16. 16 is so not 20.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr /forum/post/15853406

Well, I've enjoyed the run from the very beginning. I'm glad we are at least getting one more season out of it.

I'm a little concerned that it is 16 episodes, however. 20 is such a nice round number. Yes, 20 is better than 16. 16 is so not 20.

But 16 is mathematically better. It's a perfect square. So is its square root (four perfect sides) as well as the square root of its square root (an even bookended 2).

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/15853746

But 16 is mathematically better. It's a perfect square. So is its square root (four perfect sides) as well as the square root of its square root (an even bookended 2).

.....well, OK, when you put it that way

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another great episode (Season Finale/Parking Garage)! I liked how they brought back somebdy. I don't want to spoil it for anybody.

I thought the "Magic" episode was dumb last week. It dragged for me. I had to keep myself from leaving the room.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The last couple of seasons have been pretty bad. I'm surprised they're gonna pump out 16 more. I was kind of hoping they'd just finish with one two-hour movie.

·
Registered
662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinstonWolf /forum/post/16920496

Thought you guys might be interested in this:

Nice little tribute for the final season of monk starting up next friday...

http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/07/29/us...tribute-promo/

Thanks for the link. I've seen the tribute running on USA for the past few days, actually, and it's great -- VERY funny!

I'm looking forward to the last season -- 1 week from today.

DGK

·
Registered
662 Posts
What did everyone else think about the 1st episode of the new season? I liked it I guess. There's been better, though. IMO it was actually a bit irritating for the first 15 minutes or so....

BTW there's a couple of new tribute/promo spots for the show similar to the original one which are running on USA now -- saw one of them this evening during L&O: CI. Very funny, just like the first!

DGK

·
Registered
86 Posts
Spoiler Alert:

The last three episodes of Monk will feature Bitty Schram (Sharona Fleming) on the Nov. 20th episode, and the final two will solve the murder of Trudy Monk (Nov. 27th and Dec. 4th), entitled "Mr. Monk and the End".

1 - 20 of 86 Posts