AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So I been learning a lot, very quickly by using the forums thus far and I am very thankful! I still need some clarity on a remaining point and I wanted to start a new thread.

---------------------------------------------

My Speakers:

1.) Left/Right: Martin Logan Purities

2.) Center: Martin Logan Motif

3.) Surrounds: Martin Logan Helos 100

My Questions:

Do I buy an eMotiva XPA-5 to enhance all 5 of these speakers?

or

Do I buy 3x eMotiva UPA-1's just to enhance my Left/Right/Center?

Couple Points:

1.) I am set on the brand of eMotiva.

2.) I am interested in the most power/clarity for the buck.

3.) I am still learning so go easy on me

4.) I am more a Home Theater guy than a Music listening guy.

5.) I sit 19 feet away from speakers, room opens to a kitchen to my left and exterior wall w/ two windows to my right. I have two windows on my right wall and a big window behind my head. My subwoofer will be in the back right corner on my side of the room (only place for it). Carpet floors. Microfiber couch.

Thanks,

Thomas Gray

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Did you miss the point, in the other thread you started, where the Purity speakers are powered speakers? So an amp won't help them, I believe.

So you could use an Emotiva XPA-3 or the monoblock for the center, and surrounds.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19546610

Did you miss the point, in the other thread you started, where the Purity speakers are powered speakers? So an amp won't help them, I believe.

So you could use an Emotiva XPA-3 or the monoblock for the center, and surrounds.

this is the exact answer I would have posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey,

I understand that the purities are powered and don't need an Amp. BUT there were some threads around the fact that the purities' internal Amp is a "switching" amp ... therefore an external eMotiva might be better suited.

"The amps in your Martin Logan's are switching amps. I feel confident you'll be a lot happier with UPA-1's or any XPA amp.

Personally, I wouldn't skimp with those speakers. I'd hop all over 2 XPA-1's. With the holiday sale they are only $1660 shipped! Your Purities will absolutely come alive with these amps!!! Let the receiver run the rest or buy UPA amps down the road. Yeah I know... twice the cost of an XPA-5 mentioned in your original post. If you can swing it financially (aren't your speakers over 3K/pair?) I think you'll be very happy you did."

Thanks,

Thomas Gray

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Not sure why they said that. Without some further explanation I won't speculate. And without any further info on that, if I was making the decision myself, I would not worry about amps for the powered speakers because they are, you know, powered, and don't need amps (unless I am totally misunderstanding something.)

I am ever MORE shocked by this idea that powered speakers will somehow come alive somehow via amps. What am I missing?? Are you bypassing the amps currently in the speaker?

I should shut up...call me really confused.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19547598

Not sure why they said that. Without some further explanation I won't speculate. And without any further info on that, if I was making the decision myself, I would not worry about amps for the powered speakers because they are, you know, powered, and don't need amps (unless I am totally misunderstanding something.)

I am ever MORE shocked by this idea that powered speakers will somehow come alive somehow via amps. What am I missing?? Are you bypassing the amps currently in the speaker?

I should shut up...call me really confused.

You will need good amps for all Martin Logan powered speakers, including the motif which is a powered speaker. I have the Martin Logan the CLX, left and right front, and I am powering them with a McIntosh 402 amp/400wpc. My Martin Logan center is the Stage, and surrounds are the motif. They are powered by a McIntosh 205 amp/200wpc.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ron /forum/post/19548387

You will need good amps for all Martin Logan powered speakers, including the motif which is a powered speaker.

Huh? No, just no, that is dead wrong. The Purity has a built in 200 W amp that (absent internal modification) cannot be bypassed. It does not require any amp, other than a preamp. And the Motif is not a powered speaker.

AJ

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastcs1 /forum/post/19547576

I understand that the purities are powered and don't need an Amp. BUT there were some threads around the fact that the purities' internal Amp is a "switching" amp ... therefore an external eMotiva might be better suited.

Thomas, not to be rude, but you are off to shaky start at AVS.

First, you start two threads seeking similar advice instead of posting in your original thread. Avoid thread clutter. Rather than start a new thread, search for and join an existing thread on the same topic. This is especially true when you have already started an existing thread on the same topic.

Second, you purchase >$3000 speakers but do not really seem to know what you bought. Many of us in this forum have invested a lot of time & money in equipment, and many have not. But most of us get a little bit cranky at people who seemingly possess more cents than sense. To avoid this, research here before you purchase.

Third, you trust Martin Logan enough to acquire an entire five speaker system, yet you question Martin Logan's own choice of amps in the Purity. Regardless, the person who suggested Emotiva amps for your Purity pair was speaking out of his ass. The internal amp in the Purity cannot be bypassed. You gain nothing from an external amp, other than stacked noise & distortion from the external amp plus the internal amp.

Fourth, the name of the company is Emotiva, not eMotiva.

I apologize in advance, as I recognize that my response is brusque. But I hope that this advice will help you get the most out of your experience at AVS.

AJ

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength /forum/post/19549450

Huh? No, just no, that is dead wrong. The Purity has a built in 200 W amp that (absent internal modification) cannot be bypassed. It does not require any amp, other than a preamp. And the Motif is not a powered speaker.

AJ

I am not familiar with the Purity. I maybe wrong. I have owned Martin Logan hybrid electrostats. I started with the Vantage, and then the Summits. They both have built in amplifiers. They still required an amplifier or receiver to power them. I now have the CLX's which are true electrostats. They require an amplifier. My Motif surrounds and Stage center speaker are plugged into a electrical outlet. No internal amplifier. They require amplification.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength /forum/post/19549450

AJ

My wording was wrong on the motif. No powered amp in the motif. It plugs into an electrical outlet is what I meant, and does require amplification.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ron /forum/post/19550312

My wording was wrong on the motif. No powered amp in the motif. It plugs into an electrical outlet is what I meant, and does require amplification.

All electrostatic speakers require a high voltage power source to charge the diaphragm (driver) between the stators (metallic grill).

AJ

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a /forum/post/19549815

Wi. Man there's soooo no need for your rude attitude. Give love not rudeness.

Everyone goes brain dead from time to time.. but I agree with Wavelength. the repeated posting on the same subject and lack of knowledge when it comes to what you own is kinda funny. Cents then sense made me laugh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Wavelength,

I love your feedback ... all I can say is that I am new to forums, and did not understand the etiquette. I created the new threads due to my need to become more specific around the question. Remember, someone really threw me off when they mentioned there was a difference to be had with an Amp. Also, I inherited the Purities from someone else and decided to complete the system with matching brand components since I get it all through an employee accommodation where I work for 80% off. Did not cost me a whole lot of cents
... love the analogy!

When it pertains to power. My Panamax Powercenter will be around 12 feet away from 1 of my purities so I will NOT be able to plug it into a High Current bank. There is a wall outlet directly behind this speaker ... What can I do to get the right power to this device?

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm
i don't think he was rude at all. In fact, it was very well said and dead on balls accurate.
+1

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastcs1
Hey Wavelength,

I love your feedback ... all I can say is that I am new to forums, and did not understand the etiquette. I created the new threads due to my need to become more specific around the question. Remember, someone really threw me off when they mentioned there was a difference to be had with an Amp. Also, I inherited the Purities from someone else and decided to complete the system with matching brand components since I get it all through an employee accommodation where I work for 80% off. Did not cost me a whole lot of cents
... love the analogy!

When it pertains to power. My Panamax Powercenter will be around 12 feet away from 1 of my purities so I will NOT be able to plug it into a High Current bank. There is a wall outlet directly behind this speaker ... What can I do to get the right power to this device?
plug it into the wall...

the emotiva people are blowing smoke up your behind... not surprising...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj
plug it into the wall...

the emotiva people are blowing smoke up your behind... not

surprising...
^^^^^^^^?????????

I don't think his question has anything to do with Emotiva. I think he wants to know if he should plug one of his two powered mains directly into the wall because it is 12ft away from his Panamax Power Center.

Surge power protection is an all or nothing deal. Either plug all of the devices into the Panamax. That means you could use an extension cord of the proper gauge to plug that speaker into the Panamax. Or play the gamble of possibly getting hit by a surge and having that one speaker open to the surge. Leaving the rest of your equipment open. If that speaker does git hit the power supply should absorb the surge. But do you want to gamble on it? Thats up to you to decide. You could also use something like this for just that one speaker before you plug it into the wall. That way you wouldn't have to mess around with an extension cord to get it to reach the main Panamax.
http://www.panamax.com/Products/Other/MD2.aspx

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

did you bother to read the whole thread? or is this just more of your emotiva fanboyism?

if you are THAT concerned about the "protection" issue, a 50 dollar part installed at the breaker box will provide more "protection" than the panamax could ever dream of doing... as it will actually have a chance of stopping a truly destructive surge from entering your house...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts