AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your guys input. I have Polk RT800 towers and CSI40 for center. Should I get polk FXi30 dipole/bipole for surrounds or RTi 38 mono? I will be sitting close to the rear of HT. My one wall is longer in hight than the other because of the HVAC soffit.

Here is a not so great Pic.

Thanks

Taz

·
Registered
123 Posts
THX suggests that the best HT experience is obtained by dipole/bipole for the side surrounds. Rear surrounds in a 7.1 system could be either. For multi-channel music, most experts prefer monopole direct radiating speakers, some even insisting on matching the fronts. So, make the choice based on your primary intended use.

Whatever you decide, I strongly recommend you pre-wire for two sets of side surrounds and two sets of rear surrounds. It is easy to do while you are in "studs"; a ***** to do later, This way you can, if you choose, have two approaches to the configuration of your system each optimized for music or movies. Many receivers have A-B switches for the side surrounds to accomodate this approach.

If you take this approach, consider placing the wiring for the direct radiating side surrounds in a position that matches the fronts as closely as possible only in the rear. (Such as in the rear corners of the room if your fronts are near the front corners.) This would allow a configuration that is often recommended as optimum for mutl-channel music such as DVD-A or SACD.

Wire every possibility now. If you don't use it, no big deal. If you need it and don't have it, you'll wish you did.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
"THX suggests that the best HT experience is obtained by dipole/bipole for the side surrounds."

Vinnie - I don't think that is true. Can you provide a link or reference?

·
Registered
30 Posts
^In answer to your question:

http://www.thx.com/mod/techLib/homeTheatreFAQ.html

The Dipole Surrounds' design emulates the soundfield of an array of loudspeakers exactly as those found in mixing theatres and movie theatres. In movie theatres, these "surround arrays" provide a big surround sound experience. Because surround placement in the home is limited to a few speakers close to the listener, the THX Dipole Surround is the best way to provide a big surround experience.

http://www.thx.com/mod/techlib/surroundEx.html

For optimum results, THX recommends use of two THX Ultra-certified dipole speakers for the back surrounds. However, allowing for customer preference, a pair of direct radiating speakers can also be used for the back surrounds under a new THX specification.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks, Grand. You saved me looking for the references.:)

Whatever decision Taz1 makes, the most important thing is to prewire multiple options NOW to provide maximum flexibility in the future.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks VinnieR, I will do just that. Now, I just got to go and buy some more wires before the contractor closes the walls.:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Should have added to pre-wire for multiple subs as well. I suggest at least 4 drops in the vicinity of the 4 corners with electric plugs nearby. Its not that you necessarily would ever have 4 sub woofers, although that is not unheard of (and wouldn't it be nice). It will, however, provide great flexibility in choosing the optimumm sub location later. The cost of wire for low-level sub woofer feeds is chump change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.