AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a projector under $2k that has the option to disable the filter wheel (stop on the clear segment) and operate in a monochrome mode. I have a couple of Plus U5-632h projectors with this option, but they are no longer in production and I need an alternative. Any current models available with this feature?

Alternatively, I could crack open the case and remove the filter wheel completely but there is still the danger of color processing that could still be active. If anybody has been successful in removing the filter wheel from a projector, I'd like to hear about your experiences.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Look for an InFocus SP4805 with a busted wheel ... there are a few on eBay etc. Really great projector .... the wheel is its Achille's heel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/14160265

Look for an InFocus SP4805 with a busted wheel ... there are a few on eBay etc. Really great projector .... the wheel is its Achille's heel.

Thanks for the recommendation, but the SP4805 unfortunately is not bright enough nor the resolution I am looking for. Specifically, I am looking for a projector that is 1024x768 native resolution (preferably with DVI input, although VGA is acceptable) and produces between 3000-4000 lumens. Also needs to be an in production model as I will be purchasing 6 of them once I find the right one.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srluka /forum/post/14161372

I am looking for a projector that is 1024x768 native resolution (preferably with DVI input, although VGA is acceptable) and produces between 3000-4000 lumens.

OK. So its not a home theater projector you want. You are looking for a business/presentation machine.

This might not be the best place to find that. Here's a link to a summary of such projectors .

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I remember that HP used to have some projectors where you could chose between 2 different colorwheels, or shoot between the colorwheels for monochrome. But looks like they got out of the business.

Given that Kaga Components made the Plus projectors according to projectorcentral.com, maybe some of their newer ones would include that feature. You can find different model numbers by going to projectorcentral.com and searching under "Find Projectors" for Kaga Components. I'm not sure if any current ones would be as bright as you need though.

It looks like the Plus U7 series listed here:

http://www.plus-projector.jp/en/prod.../u7/index.html

may still be available and might have that same feature.

--Darin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts