AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering for those who went from a monocoated filter on their pj to a multicoated, what if any difference did you see?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Guy Kuo did initially get single coated and then HMC and thought that it was better. Logic and specs said it's better. I got HMC from the get go and it's very good. There is still reflection but not much especially on my setup due to my filter being angled downward a bit to direct the reflection away from the DMD chamber to avoid backlighting the DMD which could reduce contrast. There is NO perceived change colors or light output on angle or perpendicular filter placement. This is at 96" wide at 14 feet, 1.5 gain Video Spectra Dalite, pitch dark room. This may be imaginary but the blacks seem ever so slightly darker on angular placement from ? improvement in contrast. Maybe because of slightly more reflected light causing overall slight dimming of image? Who knows, but I'm happy with my angled HMC Hoya FL-D filter. This issue has been bugging you from the get go so why not shell out $30 and get a HMC filter and compare it yourself?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Huey. I have ordered one but they are out of stock and according to an email I received even Hoya is out of them.

I've just installed my new Firehawk and was looking for the improvement to 99% transmission over the monocoated. I no longer really need the improvement in black level that the filter provides and was wondering if there was a perceptable viewing difference in the transmission efficiency.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
That's not quite right. I got the mono-coated and measured such a small effect on ANSI style contrast from the mono-coated filter that I never did bother to pick up a multicoated version.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
sorry I was mistaken. Facts tend to blur over time :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is sort of a "bump", but I was considering posting a new thread regarding this very topic.

I just received my multi-coated (HMC) Hoya FL-DAY yesterday. I've been using the monocoated one for the past 2 months or so. I found the monocoated in a local photo shop and I've stuck with it this long because I was quite pleased with the result. However, I'd always wanted to try out the HMC. I ordered the HMC from www.bhphotovideo.com and received it yesterday (they're in stock! :) )

IMO, the difference between the HMC and monocoated filters is quite significant. There is less of a "haze" or "softnening" to the picture with the HMC, and the overall brightness is better. I recall a "dirty glasses" analogy made by Guy Kuo - very fitting in this case. It took me literally 10 seconds to decide that the HMC was superior. The color correction factor appears identical (nice rich reds), the blacks are just as good, and the picture is brighter... score!

When placing my order, I picked up another flourescent light correcting filter that I have not seen discussed on this forum - the "B+W F-Day". It was a bit more money than the Hoya ($30), but still a cheap experiment for this hobby. This filter is a solid glass filter, and very well made. It offers the same brightness and crispness that the Hoya HMC has, but with a slightly less agressive red correction. Both filters look great, and it will take me some time to figure out which one I prefer. On my projector (LT155), the HMC is a bit "warmer" (people look fleshier, pinker). On individual viewings, the Hoya and the B+W look very good - very realistic. A direct comparision shows the Hoya giving peoples' faces more "blood". I can't decide which I prefer with my projector (perhaps one over the other as the bulb ages..hmmm).

Just thought I'd throw another filter idea out there, for you experimenting types. The Hoya HMC is a slam dunk, but I'd be curious to hear what Guy Kuo thinks of the B+W filter.

-Jeff

·
Registered
306 Posts
As a serious amateur photographer for the last 5 years, I have used a number of filters and can safely say there is a definite difference in quality levels. On a camera (and I would assume on a PJ) poor filters that have a high level of reflectance can create a variety of problems.

Basically, less light gets in (or out in this case) but also the light that is not admitted bounces back and forth between the lens and the filter. It is much easier to get "lens flare", or bright blobs of light when using a cheap filter.

Bottom line, spend the extra few bucks and get the HMC version.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Jeff,

As a fellow LT155 owner (I was feeling sort of lonely...), I'm anxious to hear your final opinion! Keep us (well, me anyway!) posted.

Ross

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe any UHP or NSH bulb based projector will benefit from the FLD. These bulbs are red deficient and using one allows you to increase contrast and achieve a more natural color balance. That is assuming the projector has individual controls for setting RGB contrast. I received the HMC and do think it looks better than the monocoated, althought the difference is subtle and could be placibo.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just purchased the Hoya HMC FL-DAY filter to use with my LT150. I've been projecting on my off-white living room wall until I can get a dedicated room ready. Holding the filter in front of the lens, their is a huge difference in the brightness of the image. If I were stuck with projecting on the bare wall, I would definitely not use the filter. The improvements are not worth the dim picture. I'm hoping that the 1.5 gain of the Video Spectra (which is the screen I'm leaning toward) will counteract the loss in light output from the projector. I'm glad I didn't order the monocoated filter even if the difference is minimal.

Randy D

·
Registered
108 Posts
RossVTaylor,

Yup - I'm loving' my LT155 :) I am running the lamp in "Eco Mode" on a 100" 4:3 Firehawk. For me, the picture is fantastic and I don't find it too dim at all with the addition of a filter. In fact, I wouldn't THINK of not using an FL-D filter. Faces look physically ILL in comparison, their skin is so pale and green. On my setup, the difference between the monocoated and HMC Hoya's is not that subtle - it was a no-brainer which was best (the HMC). As of right now, I have to give the edge to the Hoya over this B+W. I plan to test more, but I do like the additional richness of the red from the Hoya over the B+W.

OH - fellow LT155'er - the best way to mount your filter is to get either a 52mm size, or at least a 52mm->Other step up/down ring (e.g. 52mm step down ring to 49mm - in which case, you'd buy 49mm filters). The threads on a 52mm are just shy of "catching" on the LT155, and the next size up (55mm) is way too big. What I did to secure the filter was wrap about 2 layers of teflon tap around the threads of the 52mm filter or stepping ring. The added thickness and soft texture of the teflon tape secures it on the LT155 perfectly. The end result looks very "stock" - you'd never know it was a "mod" at all. The step down ring approach is particularly good for cleaning the filter or for experimenting with other filters. A 52mm ring with teflon tape can be so snugly secured onto the LT155, that unscrewing the filter from the ring becomes more convenient than removing a 52mm filter connected directly, which could tear the delicate teflon tape.

Randy D - FWIW, for me, even in Eco mode on a white wall (before my Firehawk), the improvements in red WAS WORTH the extra dimness - that's how good it looked (IMO). However, with a real screen and an HMC, the dimness is more than acceptable (after all, blacker blacks) - I'd definitely give it another try when you get your 1.5 gain screen (sounds like Huey has that exact setup).

-Jeff

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Personally I don't like the FL-D's all that much because they have more attenuation in the red than I think is necessary. The CCR type filters do a very good job in this regard but I can't find any that have elaborate coatings and all of the glass versions I've found are simply sandwich jobs with a gelatin version in the center.

To me the best filter currently overall is the Lee Resin filter but I wish I could get an anti-glare coating put on it to make it a perfect choice.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wiggles - like I said, the B+W F-Day filter is noticably less red than the Hoya - it is also solid glass. Maybe it's worth checking out for those who don't need so much red... (?? - YMMV)

-Jeff

·
Registered
289 Posts
Jeff,

I know it's been a few months, but I finally got an FL-D filter today and OMG! I'd been quite happy with my LT155, except for the occasional green tinge that fleshtones had. I'd played with changing the red color contour in my HTPC's video card settings, but the results were not what I'd hoped for.

Well, after only 5 minutes with the filter, I was sold. I popped in LOTR and saw that Gandalf's skin had lost its greenish pallor and everything looked more deeply dimensional, if that's possible. Maybe due to the increased black levels? Who knows. Now I'm kicking myself for waiting so long! I then watched the entire superbit Fifth Element with my kids and I was really shocked at the improved color rendition.

And, this was with the less-desirable (according to the many posts I've read here) Tiffen filter. This Tiffen appears to be glass, but I'm not sure. I'm anxious to try out a Hoya multi-coated, but I can't imagine things getting much better.

Thanks again, Jeff, for the info. You were absolutely correct - the 52mm works great!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've just purchased a double coated Hoya FL-D filter. The camera shops guys told me that there isn't a difference between double coated an multi coated. I am sceptical.

Is the term "double coated" synonymous with "multi coated", photographers please advise......

I've angled my filter downwards to deflect the reflection rebounding back into the panels but as Obiwan has mentioned that you get a mini image on the ceiling as a result of the rebound. Is there a filter besides the Hoya FL D Double coated which would reflect back less light ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.