AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about adding an amplifier to help supplement my Denon 4400. All channels driven, the Denon is probably good for about 75 WPC and I feel the Polk speakers I'm using could use some extra power to open things up. The room is used primarily for movies (80%) with occasional video games and music listening.

I've gone back and forth with just adding either a three channel amp for the LCR or a 5 channel amp to power the LCR and side surrounds. The Monoprice 3X (200 WPC) and the latest Emotiva XPA-3 (275 WPC) would each be stretching my budget but provide more than ample headroom for the front stage when needed.

The Outlaw 5000 is a more cost-effective option that provides a good bump in power (120 WPC) and would allow the LCR and side surrounds to get a boost. Heck, if I was going for a five channel amp, I would have to consider the Monoprice 5X. But honestly, I'd rather stay in the Outlaw 5000 budget range if I can get noticeable improvement there.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
I've been thinking about adding an amplifier to help supplement my Denon 4400. All channels driven, the Denon is probably good for about 75 WPC and I feel the Polk speakers I'm using could use some extra power to open things up. The room is used primarily for movies (80%) with occasional video games and music listening.

I've gone back and forth with just adding either a three channel amp for the LCR or a 5 channel amp to power the LCR and side surrounds. The Monoprice 3X (200 WPC) and the latest Emotiva XPA-3 (275 WPC) would each be stretching my budget but provide more than ample headroom for the front stage when needed.

The Outlaw 5000 is a more cost-effective option that provides a good bump in power (120 WPC) and would allow the LCR and side surrounds to get a boost. Heck, if I was going for a five channel amp, I would have to consider the Monoprice 5X. But honestly, I'd rather stay in the Outlaw 5000 budget range if I can get noticeable improvement there.

I'd get one of the first two options, give your mains a big boost, and let your AVR do the rest. It's what I do, and seems to work pretty well. Not sure the Outlaw would provide much of a boost, but then again, if you are pushing the Denon it will get really hot, and any offloading will probably be helpful.

Reactions: Todd G.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Most current AVRs seem to rely on never driving all channels to the same high level at the same time. (That's for home theater, not multichannel stereo.) I can't speak to the truth of that concept.

I'm running an AVR-X4300H with an Emotiva XPA3 Gen3 for the LCR fronts. (My fronts are Hsu CCB-8.) It seems like a good compromise: more power available for stereo and the speakers that are used for home theater, and enough power from the AVR for the surround and Atmos speakers. The 4300 doesn't run hot. ( I don't use "eco" mode. The duty factor on the surround and Atmos speakers appears to be much less than 100%.)

I might have considered the Monolith over the Emotiva amp, but at the time of purchase, the Monolith amps were in an extended period of unavailability. (I believe that they were being modified to add XLR inputs, which are of no use to me at the moment. The Emotiva has them too.)

I didn't run the fronts without the amp long enough that I have much of an idea whether the amp made a significant improvement. At least the 4300 runs cooler than without the amp.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, the Denon doesn’t run hot as I’ve got adequate ventilation and an Aircom T10. If I unload LCR stress from the Denon I’ll use the Aircom on the amp and add another later for the Denon if needed. But I wouldn’t think powering only two surrounds and four Atmos speakers would create any temperature issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
After trying out some Crown XLS amps and having issues, I pulled the trigger on an Emotiva XPA 3 Gen 3 amp. I really debated with the Monolith (I have dual Monolith 15" subs that I've had a great experience with), but I have owned Emotiva in the past and I like their customer service, and warranty better. I have an Emotiva amp (UPA700) powering my Atmos speakers and surrounds so it seemed to make sense to keep it in the family.

But that Monolith amp() are really impressive. The Emotiva ended up being a little but cheaper too (but that really wasn't the deciding factor).

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At this point, the Emotiva is another $30 once the price of shipping the Monolith is considered. Warranty appears to be the same as does global parts sourcing and American assembly. Power supply design and weight appear to differ the most. To me, this is a toss up and I am guessing I can’t likely go wrong with either unit.

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
At this point, the Emotiva is another $30 once the price of shipping the Monolith is considered. Warranty appears to be the same as does global parts sourcing and American assembly. Power supply design and weight appear to differ the most. To me, this is a toss up and I am guessing I can’t likely go wrong with either unit.

For some reason I thought the Monoprice warranty was 3 years but your right both are 5. Monoprice charges tax in my state Emotiva did not. It's reallly sixes..

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What RCA cables are you using?

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blue Jeans. I had used some more inexpensive ones from Amazon that had great reviews but when I had a ground loop hum I upgraded. Always been a fan of Blue Jeans cables and RCA cables seem like something I will use a long time.

I’ve got Blue Jeans subwoofer cables and they’re great.

Reactions: ack_bk

·
Registered
132 Posts
hi,

if i were u i choose outlaw but not the 5000 model, take the model 7200.

i own emotiva and outlaw amp both 200 watts per channel.

my system:
onkyo tx-nr1030 /w atmos
outlaw 7200 7 channel
paradigm studio 100 v5 (front)
cc 690 v5 (center)
Studio 20 v5 ( surround)
adp V1 ( surround Back) ( replacing soon)
millenia 20 Trio Atmos...

emotiva is soft in everything....( music and movies) but the outlaw has a power of everything...i own my emo less than a yr,,, 80% movies and 20% music ( Spotify, Pandora & my Technics SL-5300 turntable ( played most 80 New wave song)

for outlaw 5000 i never try, but i have a friend in PA area, he's using 3 emotiva monoblock amp which is 300 watts per channel and i told that try an outlaw amp. he try on outlaw 5000 , and me told me that 5000 is much better than the emotive even its only 120 watts per channel...he's driving Paradigm studio v3 on front.....

well you can try, outlaw has 30 days return....

thanks hope this help...

·
Premium Member
549 Posts

What did you end up doing?

I’m having the same dilemma in choices!

Outlaw 5000 for all 5 channels, 3 Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks for the front 3, or a 3-Ch Monolith for the front.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll likely go for the Monoprice refurb 3x200, but we need to get some other expenses paid before I get the amp.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,750 Posts
Definitely go with the higher powered amps, not the 120w option. The main point of a dedicated amp is to get more power for additional headroom, but it takes A LOT of power to gain headroom. Even doubling available power only gains 3 dB, and that assumes the speakers can handle the extra power without distortion and compression. I too have been considering the purchase of a dedicated amp for LCR to all the possible performance out of my speakers, but I've decided that going from 100/120 watts to only 200 watts is not a big enough jump in power to make a $1k+ purchase worthwhile.

I'm currently leaning towards a D-sonic 3 channel...yes the cost is higher but I rather wait, save a little more, and make the upgrade worthwhile with 6dB+ of headroom gained from the increase in available power. 3x400w @ 8r and 3x800w @ 4r. Future proof and more than enough power to drive anything I am ever to likely own.

https://www.d-sonic.com/amplifiers/multi-channel/three-channel/
Another option since you are home theater oriented is to get home theater speakers such as PSA. They will require anywhere from 1/4th to 1/10th of the power to drive than a low sensitivity speaker like Polk.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So what did you end up doing?
We wound up buying a second family vehicle instead of investing more in the theater room. As it is, the Denon does pretty well on its own. An amp would have been nice, but not really necessary.

Reactions: nlpearman
1 - 16 of 16 Posts