AVS Forum banner
  • Take part in a short activity and share your valuable opinion on new design concepts for AVSForum! >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Monoprice 50-ft video cables, they work great

1799 Views 22 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  joekun
Before purchasing cables for a 50-foot run to a projector, I didn't find much on this forum concerning what cables will work over such a distance. So, I took a chance and ordered one each of the following cables from Monoprice;

1. 50-ft DVI-D dual link (24AWG) for connecting to a Radeon 9000 PC video card.

2. 50-ft SVGA (RG59u) for connecting to an old RCA DTC-100 HDTV tuner.

3. 50-ft RCA component for connecting to a Pioneer DVD player.

I selected what seemed to be the best grade Monoprice had for each type of cable. They are all made in China and seem to be of excellent quality. These cables seem to be well shielded and are really thick and heavy with durable black jackets. The SVGA and DVI cables have very large ferrites and well built molded terminals. The terminals come covered with plastic caps.

As far as I can tell, they all work superbly with my Infocus SP5000 projector. I'm not implying that cables from other sources won't work as well, or possibly better. I'm just providing info all in one place on the fact that 50-foot cable runs will work. I had found on different websites where authors authoritatively suggest otherwise.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
That is great news for me. I have just ordered 2 sets of 40' Component cables from them for my new Panasonic AE900 and was a bit wary as they were so low cost compared to the other dealers I had talked to. They have come highly recommended on the forums just glad to hear yet another person give them the thumbs up and at long lengths as well.

Cheers

Calv1n
Good stuff OP, thx for the info.

Might i ask how well you've tested the 50' DVI cable? The reason i ask is because, from what i understand, it is the rare dvi cable that can handle long distance without sparkles and blocking or other digital anomolies.

Also heartening to hear that you've tried them on a higher resolution 1280x720p projector...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99
Have you tested HDTV as well as dvd?
Yes, I receive HDTV over-the-air using my old RCA DTC-100 tuner. It's connected to the PJ via the 50-foot SVGA cable. This setup provides an great picture on a 76" screen.

EDIT: Yes I play DVDs from the Pioneer DVD player via the component cable to the PJ and it also looks great, but not as good as DVDs played on the PC using PowerDVD5 connected via the 50-foot DVI-D cable from the Radeon to the PJ. See below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71

Might i ask how well you've tested the 50' DVI cable? The reason i ask is because, from what i understand, it is the rare dvi cable that can handle long distance without sparkles and blocking or other digital anomolies.

Yes, I have tested the 50-foot DVI-D cable connected to the SP5000 from the PC's Radeon 9000 video card and it provides a perfect display of still Windows apps as well as DVDs played using PowerDVD5. With the Radeon's driver set to 1280x720 and the SP5000 set to bypass all scaling, the display of Windows apps look as good or better than when displayed on a flat panel PC monitor connected via a 6-foot SVGA cable. DVDs look considerably better than those played on the Pioneer DVD player via the component cable. I've read that this DVI config provides a one-to-one pristine digital pixel match between the PC and PJ without any conversions to/from analog.

Like you, I also read a lot of B$ about DVI being limited to about 3 meters, period. No, I do not have any sparkles. Blocks? What are blocks?

****Edit: The above should be 5 meters rather than 3. See the mext post.****

If this is the rare DVI cable that can work great over 50-ft runs, then I must be lucky to be thrifty. Otherwise I could have paid over six time more for cables from other vendors whose 50-foot cables may not have been so rare.
See less See more
I found an article relevant to the above post. According to the article here , the DVI spec requires gear to maintain a signal over a minimum distance of 5 meters (16'). It is also reported that various test equipment maintained strong signals up to 32 feet, but troubles started at 12 meters (39').

This indicates that 50-foot DVI runs like mine will not work in all situations. It seems that distance limits depend on the particular equipment on both ends of the cable and particular cable design, and possibly the environment as well.

TH
I have a monoprice 25 foot DVI cable and have no problems.
It is intersesting that the 25 & 33 foot cables are certified. This is not true for the 50' cables. I think a cable that long is always hit or miss. It is great that Monoprice now sells a cable extender and a good price if it is necessary.
I noticed signal loss resulting in sparkles on screen when connecting my 4805 to the Monoprice m1-dvi 50ft. I gather from info on the web that dvi at 33ft or less should avoid the signal/sparkle problem. If you need greater than 33ft dvi then you may want to consider a dvi signal booster/repeater like the ones offered at gefen.com

Putting the technical limits of dvi aside, the Monoprice cables are very good. I am currently using their 50ft component cable with excellent results.
Monoprice just started offering a singnal boster/repeater at a very good price. It is about 1/3 cost of the Geffen. I agree that 50'is realy a bit much. I would consider using two 25' cables and the boster in the middle. There repeater is listed on the same page as the hdmi switches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley
Monoprice just started offering a singnal boster/repeater at a very good price. It is about 1/3 cost of the Geffen. I agree that 50'is realy a bit much. I would consider using two 25' cables and the boster in the middle. There repeater is listed on the same page as the hdmi switches.
It took me a minute but I found it here
I had to return my 50' monoprice HDMI cable as it would not work with a Pioneer 79Avi and Panny AE900. Just another data point as 50' runs are component dependent. The cable did work with my Sony NS70 which I no longer have. I bought a 50' HDMI cable from Ram and it does work in my current setup.

jcg
Monoprice actually has two repeaters. They have one for DVI and another for HDMI.

They are on the bottom of the page for the HDMI switcher.
Ok, so here comes my question...

I am outputting from my Ti4200 via DVI, and my Panny AE700 takes HDMI... what will be the difference in quality between a DVD->HDMI cable, and a dvi->hdmi converter followed by an HDMI cable? the reason for the Q is because in my opinion, an hdmi-only cable is more compatible, that is, if i get another component that outputs hdmi, i'll plug that in, instead of converting back from the DVI end of the cable back to hdmi...

is my logic correct?
Nimrod3

Yes, assuming the cables have the same build quality, it is a good choice to use an HDMI cable to the PJ with a DVI-2-HDMI converter on the sending end. DVI originated in the PC world, whereas HDMI is specifically for protected HD video content, and is the trend for cable boxes, satellite receivers and DVRs as well as DVD players.
Monoprice is the best! :cool: I have not had one problem with any of their cables yet and their prices are amazing!:)
They have really been great for many of us. Monoprice was the first to offer fair prices on HDMI cables and now switches. Many of us are tired of being ripped of by high prices from the Big Block & City stores.
Too bad they seem to be out of stock on the 50 ft dvi to hdmi cables, I am still waiting or else I may have to pull the trigger on a more expensive cable.
RoodyPoolUS, there may be an other alternative that you know will work and will be good in the future. You could get a 25' DVI to hdmi cable and a 25'HDMI to HDMI cable. You can than add an HDMI extender also sold by Monoprice. Even though this is more expensive it will elemenate problems with such a long cable run. It may not be much more expensive than getting a 50' cable from some other souce that you do not know will work.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.