AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I was aware, the "PowerBridge" had been the only product available to create a simple unpowered outlet/inlet setup for a wall-mounted TV:

http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/


But while browsing Monoprice I noticed they are offering a very similar product now:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2


Their includes a recessed low-voltage "nose" hole as well.


Has anyone used this product from Monoprice? Any reason to get the more expensive PowerBridge solution over this product? I can't tell but it doesn't look like the Monoprice product includes the two junction boxes for the in-wall installation.


Thoughts anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
I am the person who authored the DIY version on this forum. It cost about $25 to build plus the time to source the parts. I'd say at $45 this is deal. It probably does not come with the j-box because in theory the code in your jurisdiction could vary. But the box is relatively cheap and you can get one that has a low voltage side and a line side to keep the low voltage easy to pull. I obviously haven't used it, but I would have bought it if anything like that existed at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
I purchased:


Leviton duplex recessed outlet

12ft. of Romex

2 - gang old work box

3 - gang old work box

4ft. of 2-wire 12g

4ft. of 3-wire 12g

(2) 2-prong plug terminations

(2) 3-prong plug terminations

Decora receptacle

2-RG6 Decora receptacle (for DirecTV)

3-gang Decora cover plate


For probably $50, and now I have separate power (so I can control the outlets separately) for my panel and bias lighting, as well as room to run all my cables through the wall to the credenza, and all necessary wiring from the credenza to the panel.


I'll take some pictures when I'm done. About the only non-clean part of the job was not having a cover plate for half of the 2-gang box behind the plasma, due to the nature of the Leviton recessed outlet (integrated cover plate). Although since it's completely hidden by the panel, it doesn't really matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
Male-male cables.


They're not as safe as the power-bridge type, but much cheaper and you just have to not be an idiot with them (mine are buried behind a 200lbs. cabinet so I'm not too worried about it).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymanme /forum/post/14169483


I am the person who authored the DIY version on this forum. It cost about $25 to build plus the time to source the parts. I'd say at $45 this is deal. It probably does not come with the j-box because in theory the code in your jurisdiction could vary. But the box is relatively cheap and you can get one that has a low voltage side and a line side to keep the low voltage easy to pull. I obviously haven't used it, but I would have bought it if anything like that existed at the time.

OK, good, that's what I thought.


When PowerBridge was $50 the DIY-vs-buy-it tradeoff was different, but when they hiked their prices it makes it more tempting to do the DIY.


However, I fall into the category of people not 100% comfortable with all of the steps in the DIY (specifically the difficulty in finding a good recessed male power inlet) so I'd rather buy a pre-fabricated solution. So you agree that it looks like this monoprice version is basically the same thing, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/14172819


However, I fall into the category of people not 100% comfortable with all of the steps in the DIY (specifically the difficulty in finding a good recessed male power inlet) so I'd rather buy a pre-fabricated solution. So you agree that it looks like this monoprice version is basically the same thing, right?

Yeah, the monoprice does the same thing ... but I feel obligated to tell you that the sourcing of the parts is the only thing you are saving. The actual install is still going to take some time and planning. If you have any hesitation about what you are doing, then come back and post again to let us help you. The DIY part on my setup was just making the adapter. There is still lots of DIY left in installing it safely and correctly.


Whatever you choose to do, be certain that what you are doing is safe for you and your family and up to code.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seemed like in the DIY solution you had to create the recessed male power inlet by sourcing the individual parts and gluing it together -- that's the part I'd rather avoid. I know you can buy that Leviton one that's intended for outdoor GFI applications, but I'd rather not have a metal outdoor outlet in the living room.


I'm definitely willing to pay for the ability to have it all ready-to-go in a pre-fabbed kit. For $45 vs. $25, the decision to me is easy. When powerbridge jumped up to $70... that made the DIY a little more inviting.


I'm totally comfortable with choppin' some dryall, installing a basic work box, wiring the outlet/inlet, etc. It's a very short run, maybe 3 or 4 feet in-wall straight up-and-down. It was mostly about getting all the right parts and having it look clean and well-organized, which the powerbridge type solution does nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
Leviton now has a nema 15-5 inlet, but didn't previously. So you could get one probably color matched to your interior. I would have dropped the 45 too if it were an option. The other side of that inlet where the low voltage cables go is what I am using, b/c I felt it was less overall headache than terminating multiple cables. As suggested before, try to get the type of jbox that has a line voltage side and then a flange for the low voltage side, it will save tons of time trying to pull your signal cables.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/14168207


But while browsing Monoprice I noticed they are offering a very similar product now:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2


Their includes a recessed low-voltage "nose" hole as well.


Has anyone used this product from Monoprice? Any reason to get the more expensive PowerBridge solution over this product? I can't tell but it doesn't look like the Monoprice product includes the two junction boxes for the in-wall installation.


Thoughts anyone?

I just installed the setup from Monoprice yesterday and it works great. Very easy to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, thanks for the report! How roomy was the low-voltage "nose" hole for the a/v cables? How many cables did you run through there? Were you able to find good dual-voltage work boxes for the outlets? I went to Home Depot the other day and the only ones they had were these Carlon dual-voltage boxes that were stud-mountable (with the big nails), but I need ones with the twist up flanges that screw into sheetrock.


I'm probably going to do the on-wall install in the next 2-3 weeks so I'm about to grab this. Thanks for the report, any pics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
I should have taken some pics while I was at it. There's a TV in the way now and I'm not about to take it back down to get pics. :lol:


The boxes I used looked exactly like this:



Found them at Home Depot. Single gang old-work electrical box. Make sure you look for "old-work" or "retrofit" in the name.


The low voltage holes have plenty of room as well. I ran a 10' HDMI cable through there with no issues and have plenty of room for more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,411 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_fowler99 /forum/post/14520621


I should have taken some pics while I was at it. There's a TV in the way now and I'm not about to take it back down to get pics. :lol:


The boxes I used looked exactly like this:



Found them at Home Depot. Single gang old-work electrical box. Make sure you look for "old-work" or "retrofit" in the name.


The low voltage holes have plenty of room as well. I ran a 10' HDMI cable through there with no issues and have plenty of room for more.

Thanks -- I'm a little confused though, the Monoprice wall plate is a 2-gang wall plate, right? Don't you need a 2-gang work box? Did you cut a larger hole than that work box in the image, and just run the low voltage stuff straight through with no work box?


Forgive my noobishness on this subject, thanks for the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
I was a bit confused at first too, but the instructions call for a single gang work box.


The part with the outlet screws into the work box. The part with the hole for the low voltage wiring has blades on the side to secure to the drywall.


After I used it, I understood why. The low voltage wiring would be a pain to put through a box...especially something like an HDMI cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah, I see now -- looking at the pic from the monoprice site I can see the screw holes are centered above/below the left-most outlet side of the wall plate:




This would have made more sense if Monoprice had just included a photo of the back! So there are screw-up flanges on the right side, like on an old work box (like in the image you posted)?


So the wall plate came with instructions then? Cool.


Glad I didn't buy those 2-gang old work boxes! I wouldn't try to run A/V cables into an old work box, I was referring to this dual voltage box that just has a big open area on the right for the low voltage side:




But on this box I'd need to rip open the whole wall to get it on a stud! No dice there....


Thanks for your feedback, very helpful...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah, found an illustration in the item description for the recessed power + low voltage wall plate:




I can see the little flanges there, nice! This should work perfectly...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
It's a very easy install.


Only difficulty I ran into is that the template isn't quite wide enough, but that's easily dealt with.


I'm very happy with the product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
I installed the powerbridge and let me tell you that it is very easy to install (basic actually) unless, like my situation, you have very tight vapor barrier and insulation against the drywall. Then it is a total beeeaaaaatch as the blue plastic boxes are excessively deep.
 
1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Top