AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monoprice is very popular in these forums for their great selection and prices on cables, AV and HTPC accessories. I buy from them myself quite often. Great company to deal with.

There was some disturbing news posted about the possibility that their site was hacked and that cc details may have been compromised. In the meantime they've taken down their site as a precaution.

Monoprice may have been hacked. Check your credit card charges.

Although its unconfirmed, you might want to keep any eye on your credit card statement online until this gets sorted out just in case.

Update - March 12th

Monorprices's website message changed to:

Our outside investigators have continued to review log files from our Internet-facing servers. They have not found evidence of any successful attempts to penetrate our computer system. Our internal IT staff found some suspicious files on one of our quarantined Web servers while they were reviewing files to build replacement servers.

We have identified the suspicious files to our outside investigators so that they can extract the files from the image of our servers that they made earlier. We asked them to let us know if the suspicious files are significant. We will post more information here about the investigation when we have it.

We are taking steps to re-launch our site early next week. We will not take credit card payments on the site initially but will take payments through PayPal Express and Google Checkout. We will let you know when the site is available. Thank you for your continued support.

Last updated at 3/12/2010 11:00PM PT

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the heads up...missed this in my review of gizmodo posts today in Google Reader. No issues for me yet fortunately. *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiBz /forum/post/18284637

There was some disturbing news posted about the possibility that their site was hacked and that cc details may have been compromised. In the meantime they've taken down their site as a precaution.

They took (past tense) their website down. They had outside experts examine it. The found nothing. They notified the authorities, their merchant account providers, etc. They brought it back up. Sounds like they did everything there were suppose to do.

Reports of fraudulent activities happen more then people imagine I bet. My company runs several ecommerce websites for our clients. We've had on several occasions people report to us that our site was hacked and their credit card information was stolen. In those cases it wasn't possible that customer cards were compromised by us as card information isn't ever saved, only the transaction ID (which is useless unless the hackers want to start issuing refunds).

Unfortunately welcome to the joys of online ecommerce Monoprice and customers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
first i've heard of this... i made a purchase i guess about 3-6 months ago from monoprice... and yesterday i get a call from Credit card company fraud dept... which was confirmed fraud.

a couple of $1 test transactions.

a $10 at some dallas TX store or something

and $400 watch order from buckle.com.

might be related... then again might not...

joy.

ppp

·
Registered
876 Posts
That's the reason I use virtual numbers for any online purchases or even to pay bills. They can only be used once, so it doesn't matter if someone gets the number, they can't use it anyway. If your credit card bank doesn't have this feature, I'd get one that does. I have mine with Citibank and I give them a lot of credit for this innovative feature.

Bank account auto-pays aren't a good idea either as it exposes your accounts unnecessarily. Also, a lot of people don't realize that you can't stop the authorization, the vendor has to do it - never understood the mentality behind this practice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've made a couple purchases from Monoprice over the last few weeks in preparation for home theater construction. After hearing this news this morning I immediately checked my account... yep... lots of stuff on there that wasn't from me. Some of the charges were actually sort of funny. Seriously... who steals a credit card number and then uses it on match.com!? CRAP! I've already called and disputed the charges and had the old card closed and a new one issued. They were great, about it, too, so no $ lost. I then got Monoprice on the phone. They took some of my info including the order numbers and dates of purchases and let me know that somebody would be calling me back. I'll post back to let you guys know how that conversation goes.

I hope Monoprice doesn't get hurt too bad from this. I've really enjoyed dealing with them. Their products have been top-notch as has their customer service.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest /forum/post/18285530

That's the reason I use virtual numbers for any online purchases or even to pay bills. They can only be used once, so it doesn't matter if someone gets the number, they can't use it anyway. If your credit card bank doesn't have this feature, I'd get one that does. I have mine with Citibank and I give them a lot of credit for this innovative feature.

Bank account auto-pays aren't a good idea either

Yes, because the waiter that just walked off around the corner to ring up your credit card is 100% hacker-tested to be fraud-proof

Tin-foil hats on everyone

-Suntan

·
Registered
823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/18286093

Yes, because the waiter that just walked off around the corner to ring up your credit card is 100% hacker-tested to be fraud-proof

-Suntan

More protection > Less protection

I'm just sayin'...

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:

Yes, because the waiter that just walked off around the corner to ring up your credit card is 100% hacker-tested to be fraud-proof…

Tin-foil hats on everyone…

-Suntan

You knock someone for using protection online?

Anyway, I purchased some cables from them... I check my statements all the time but I'll be on the lookout. Thanks, OP.

Hopefully monoprice will find how they were able to get in and shore things up... spammers, crackers... hackers... oh... only takes a couple of idiots to ruin it for everyone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've always purchased Monoprice products through Google checkout or PayPal. After this potential hack I plan on continuing that practice.

I hope Monoprice comes back online with some amazing deals to bring back cautious customers. Maybe a half off everything sale

·
Registered
250 Posts
i think it bears repeating (for everyone just reading the subject of this topic and nothing else) that they posted a statement on their homepage yesterday (3/9) that "investigators have found no evidence that card information has been stolen from Monoprice’s computer network"

i just purchased from them on sunday... no problems, no suspicious activity.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC4Ever /forum/post/18286210

You knock someone for using protection online?

Not knocking, just being pragmatic.

You have to weigh the extra time and effort does it take to long onto your bank's website and setup special codes for each online transaction against the probability that you will suffer from fraud... My opinion is that It's not worth my time.

Online fraud always gets the headlines, but you are still vastly more likely to get screwed over by a dumpster diver or someone stealing mail out of your mailbox.

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2lounge /forum/post/18286614

i think it bears repeating (for everyone just reading the subject of this topic and nothing else) that they posted a statement on their homepage yesterday (3/9) that "investigators have found no evidence that card information has been stolen from Monoprice's computer network"

i just purchased from them on sunday... no problems, no suspicious activity.

I'm quite certain my initial post was abundantly clear that their site MAY have been hacked and as a precaution people should check their c/c statements online.

Several people on this thread have in fact confirmed that they've found fraudulent charges on their accounts. We don't know if this related to Monoprice's issue, but the coincidence is questionable.

I don't see anywhere on this thread where anyone, including myself has posted not to shop there. Monoprice is a great vendor.

In any case, it's mighty generous of you to assure everyone that there is no risk or problem, especially when it's other people's money and credit.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:

-Suntan

LOL. Yep. I'm more concerned with the waiter/bartender stealing my card info then I am with the top online web sites. I keep daily tabs on my cards thru Quicken anyway so nothing would get past me if crazy charges started showing up.

·
Registered
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiBz /forum/post/18286783

I'm quite certain my initial post was abundantly clear that their site MAY have been hacked and as a precaution people should check their c/c statements online.

Several people on this thread have in fact confirmed that they've found fraudulent charges on their accounts.

but not that they were in fact related to monoprice in any way.
Quote:
We don't know if this related to Monoprice's issue, but the coincidence is questionable.

exactly, so people shouldn't post things that give the impression that they were. (see below). i'm not sure what you mean by "coincidence is questionable".
Quote:
I don't see anywhere on this thread where anyone, including myself has posted not to shop there. Monoprice is a great vendor.

i wasn't saying that people said that people shouldn't shop at monoprice, i was more commenting on the fact that people automatically assume that they did in fact get hacked instead of waiting to see what they say happened. especially considering that they have already said that they so far have found no evidence that anyone has violated their network.
Quote:
In any case, it's mighty generous of you to assure everyone that there is no risk or problem, especially when it's other people's money and credit.

i'm just saying what they say on their site, i never said there was no risk. if you assume there's no risk then that's your prerogative.

i wasn't talking about your original post, i was commenting on post #13 that says
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC4Ever /forum/post/18286210

Hopefully monoprice will find how they were able to get in and shore things up... spammers, crackers... hackers... oh... only takes a couple of idiots to ruin it for everyone.

which gives the (unverified) impression that someone in fact did get in to monoprice's servers.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The thread was intended to alert people to check their credit card charges online due to a potential issue where a popular vendor's site or credit card info may have been compromised.

If your c.c hasn't then fine..move along. If it has, at least you had a heads up and can sort it out with the credit card company.

As it stands right now, their ecommerce is offline, meaning you can't buy anything. They said they hope be back online again on Monday.

To debate whether monoprice was hacked or not isn't the scope of the thread.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 97 Posts