AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post so I wanna make it count.

I have seen great things for Monovisions and the Zenith (all speculation though). I plan to build a new pc in the next few weeks when I find out which was the best SFF from computex. I will use the pc as my primary device, for gaming, newsgroups, internet viewing, home office use.

Will there be a differentiation in quality between the tvs as they will each use a difference interface: DVI and component?

Considering the price of the ATI dongle for the 9800, it doesnt seem like there will be much of a price difference. And considering that the Monovision is larger and widescreen is seems like a obvious choice. So, if anyone can give me testimonials and recommendations on the tv, it will be much appreciated, and of course I will post pictures when everything is done....TIA

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kharvel for the quick reply. I think just the saving of time to get the resolutions to work seems like Monovision is a great deal. Just 2 more questions?

1) How is the quality of TV feeds for the Monovision monitor relative to other TVS?

2) I think that your monitor is Widescreen. Does the monitor support 4:3 resolutions also b/c I know alot of games don't? Ever run into problems of this nature?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hi,

My Monivision is actually a 38" 4:3 display. But the 30" widescreen should support 4:3 resolutions just fine. The 30" Monivision owners may want to pitch in on this issue.

Regarding the quality of the TV feeds, you said that you are going to be using the HTPC as your primary device. If this is so, then I assume that you are going to feed your cable to a TV card in the HTPC. Therefore, the quality of your TV picture will depend on the TV card as well as on the PVR software you will use (Snapstream, Showshifter, ATI MMC, et al). With the right card and right software, the TV picture can be de-interlaced and scaled to either 1024x768 (4:3) progressive or 1280x720 (16:9) progressive to yield very high picture quality.

EDIT: By comparison, standard consumer-grade HDTVs will display analog cable at 640x480-interlaced or 640x480-progressive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.