AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody use/have opinions on the monster cable power centers? namely, I'm wondering if the 7000 stage 5 is worth the money.

thanks!

Bruce

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was very skeptical about those, until I used one. We had a storm roll through here on a friday night and a buddy and me were finishing his room and the whole time we had the HD sat on one of the plasmas and it looked great, along with dvd and everything else. The next day he called me and said that were monster lines going through his picture and his 42" plasma wouldn't play dvd's without the worst distortion he had ever seen. we did a lot of troubleshooting and came to the conclusion that the only thing in common was the power! he ordered a HTS 3600 and that straightened everything right up, found out that there was a wiring problem in the house to boot! I can't vouch for the fact that it made the pictures better than they were the night of the storm because we had just hooked up the system but it did it's job on filtering and got rid of the rolling lines that were huge on his 60" plasma. And that's all I got to say about that!

Natas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good words. I'm in a position to get the MP HTPS 7000 at a killer price, but it's still more than twice the price of the HTS 5100. The 7000 is more than a filter, Monster claims it "regenerates" the power so it's a clean signal, and teamed up with the voltage regulator it's like having your very own power plant. Since I've never had more than a filter unit before, I was just wondering who had experience and who had good/bad things to say.

Thanks for your input...

Bruce

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by natasrof1
I was very skeptical about those, until I used one. We had a storm roll through here on a friday night and a buddy and me were finishing his room and the whole time we had the HD sat on one of the plasmas and it looked great, along with dvd and everything else. The next day he called me and said that were monster lines going through his picture and his 42" plasma wouldn't play dvd's without the worst distortion he had ever seen. we did a lot of troubleshooting and came to the conclusion that the only thing in common was the power! he ordered a HTS 3600 and that straightened everything right up, found out that there was a wiring problem in the house to boot! I can't vouch for the fact that it made the pictures better than they were the night of the storm because we had just hooked up the system but it did it's job on filtering and got rid of the rolling lines that were huge on his 60" plasma. And that's all I got to say about that!

Natas
Now wait a minute here. Are you saying the system was fine, then a storm rolled thorugh, the system was not fine, and adding a power conditioner fixed it?

No doubt lightning damaged something either in the house wiring or internal to your equipment but that must be repaired. If the power conditioner is "fixing" the problem, something is wrong. It could also be a serious fire or shock hazard.

Rolling lines that go up the screen vertically mean a neutral to ground short other than the deliberate bond at the breaker panel or a ground loop because the CATv or DBS antenna is grounded improperly.

Better get a qualified electrician to look at your wiring. That should include CATV, DBS, and telephone system grounding.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have no doubts that lighting broke something, I used to work in this part of town and the electricity was always sketchy, my buddy said he was going to call an electrician, I'll follow up. But yeah it was real bad and this monster power center absolutely cleared it up. Another possibility that I did not verify was that another piece of equipment was putting out power somehow and interfering with the other components, dunno if that is possible but the HTS would take care of that also.

Natas

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have the 7000 and it did the most improvement with sound, made my cheap denon 3802 and seperate amp sound as if it was a dedicated pre amp.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm looking to get either the PowerCenter HTS 3600 or the 3500. Could someone explain the difference for $100? I know the 3600 has the LED but the specs look the same. Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
607 Posts
Personally I have the Monster power 3500 and the Monster power AVS2000 power voltage regulator. I really do enjoy the benefits of a clean and stable 120volts of power to my Home theater set up.

Joel

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks. I just ordered the 5100. Started looking at the brickwall/surgex models but decided to go ahead with the Monster Power for now until I see more data about their claims. Does the 5100 have a light that tells you when it is no longer working (would hate to have it connected and think that it was actually working like the surgex site tells you).

Dave

·
Registered
248 Posts
Guys what about the Voltage Stabilizer AVS2000?

Is it worth getting both the AVS2000 and the HTPS 7000?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have one of their AV centers and I've been very happy with it so far (4 years). There was a blowout on a TV connected to it that has not been determined if the power source was the problem or the TV's age (JVC-TV purchased same time as the PowerCenter). It has been said by many JVC techs to me that the Power supply in the JVC TV's is not equipped to handle many power outages. So I'm doubting that the Powercenter is the problem. However, I still called Monster Cable and they sent me a replacement unit and an insurance claim form and I have sent the original PowerCenter back to them to find out if I am entitled to insurance. The gentleman I spoke with there was VERY accomodating and kind.

For their customer service I'd give them an A+++++ on a scale of F to A+. In other words, I was EXTREMELY satified with the way the issue was handled up front. I'm still waiting for the results on the powercenter, If you'd like, PM me and I'll keep in touch with you on that.

My unit has 2 LED's one blew out ("Protection ON" Light) and the "Power light worked fine till it's last day in use.

I have a simple AIWA minisystem because of the fact I live in an apartment and I am forced to keep the noise levels down. However, I must say that the sound that's coming out of this thing sounds 60-80% better than it did in the store. Even in mid-day opportunities for good loudness out of the system, I've never heard any interference and there is always a crisp clean signal that rocks the building (many complaints in the past :)).

Overall, that one experience on the phone, and the consistently crisp pictures/sound that I get from my system makes that cost of the $500+ in cabling that I have for my system and the Powercenter all well worth it to me.

Best of Luck!

·
Registered
248 Posts
For me the HTPS 7000 seems like a given at this point. What I'm not sure about is whether the AVS2000 is necessary or not.

AnthonyB great to hear that you had such a great experience with Monster.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm considering the HTS 3600. I've seen Brand New units on ebay for $350 delivered. That's actually a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
This thread poses a very valid question.

Buy a UPS or buy a surge protector? That is the question should you choose to accept it you will be obligated to a valid answer.

(Sorry, I had to do it)

AnthonyB

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I got the PSAUDIO Power Director 4.7 and I just love it. It gives me a better PQ on my plasma and much better sound on my Denon AVR-5700. In fact I've had to lower the base from the original setting when my wife is around because she complains. I used to have the volume around -24DB and now it is around -30DB setting. Either the Monster or the PSAUDIO is worth it to be able to get clean power, line isolation, line stabilization and triple surge protection from the PD 4.7. Nothing though will give you absolute protection from a direct hit. Also, I recommend getting the Power Port receptacles to replace your builder's grade receptables if that's what you have. You'll have better video, better audio and better cleaner power should prolong the life of your equipment.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've changed my mind about monster, I'll be getting a Richard Gray 1200S. I came to this conclusion after doing a bit of research on this subject matter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyB
Overall, that one experience on the phone, and the consistently crisp pictures/sound that I get from my system makes that cost of the $500+ in cabling that I have for my system and the Powercenter all well worth it to me.
no offense, but i can't believe you spent that much on cables. for speakers, decent lamp cord works just fine. wrt to monster power conditioners: i haven't looked at them, but tripplite and apc might be cheaper/better. also, keep in mind that surge protectors go bad, sometimes w/o any warning.

monster cables are great - if your ht stuff is next to a nuclear reactor. there just isn't a need for that much insulation unless you're doing a long run or there's an abnormal ammount of interference.

i was at cc years ago, and the kid tried to sell me monster rca cables. at the time, i was using the dvd player's 6 analog outs. it would have cost me > $100, iirc, for monster cables. instead i bought others for about $10/pair. monster cables are a waste of money 95% of the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.