AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you using to hook up these expensive recorders?

I splurged for the Monster Ultra Component, S-video and audio but I can't help feeling that I paid too much (way too much). I justifed it by saying that I am carrying a signal I want to record and I am delivering it fully protected. :rolleyes: :confused:

For my regular cables, I'll use the AR or RCA brands.

I work in electronics and know how much these cables should cost to make and the price they sell them for is absolutely ridiculus. That does it, I'm taking them back. ;) :p :cool:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not that this should make you feel better, but I purchased this cable as well ( I think we're talking about the same one).

I ran this cable, a different monster S-Video, and a radio shack S-video cable from my Sony DVD player into all the different inputs of the Panny E80H and then interconnected the panny with my WEGA via the component cables.

Results: after switching between the panny's L1, L2, & L3 inputs there is not much of a difference to my eyes, but I'll probably keep it all the same. I'm sure that Monster is correct when they say that it's better per all their tests, but if the "better" is beyond the scope of human (or my) recognition, than I guess I don't see what the benefit is. All the same, I don't have 20/20 vision. Perhaps someone else watching with me would notice the difference. ?????

·
Registered
322 Posts
I still use some RCA cables that were old when I first got them in 1979. In fact, they're probably better made than many expensive cables are now, since they were made before corporations started trying to split a dime more than 10 ways.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm sure that your RCA cables are better. Back in the day, they hadn't yet developed the technology needed to make the cheap junk that is sold today:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are plenty who will disagree, but, for my money, a cable works or it doesn't. I believe in shielding and good solid construction, especially a quality connector. Beyond that, I won't pay the big bucks for what I cannot see.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Monster Quality or Monster Price?

I will not argue the Monster cable is good if not a great cable. What bothers me is the price that they sell it at because I work in R&D and have cables made for us in development. Cables as simple in design as what Monster makes should only go for about $10 to 15 at low volumes. The more you make the less your cost is and your profit increases.

If you want to improve your video viewing quality make better connections on better equipment.

S-video is better than composite

component is better than S-video

DVI is better than component

This will improve your picture more than buying very expensive cables that do nothing more than carry your signal. Once basic shielding is done you have taken care of most of the problems in carrying your signal.

NO CABLE WILL MAKE YOUR SIGNAL LOOK BETTER. It will only transfer what your player sends out!

If you have the money to spend, buy better equipment. A DVD player with progressive scan (you need a tv that supports this) is better than interlaced. A 12 bit video dac is better than 10 bits. These things actually make the signal that you are viewing, so put your money their.

Component out is a must. More players with DVI will soon start coming out (if your tv supports this).

This weekend I decided to test the video playing quality of my new Sony GX7 dvd recorder with a 12 bit 108 mhz video processor against my Denon 1600 with a 10 bit 54 mhz video processor with the famed Faroudja decoder.

Back in the day when I believed in Monster and component cables were still $40 bucks I bought some. That is what the Denon is hooked up with. When I brought my GX7 home I did not have another component cable so I stole the $19 HD set from my Xbox and hooked up the GX7. WOW what a difference the 12 bit video dac made over the 10 bit (even though I was using a cheaply made uninsulated game unit cable).

I have a 50" HD tv that lets me see the suttle details that you are gaining in processing. I watched Star Wars AOTC and for the first time I was able to see that R2D2's blue light panel is actually individual LEDs turning on and off. Before it looked like a panel with a blue light that would dim or go on and off. The detail that you can see in some shots when the camera is focused is amazing (like viewing a still picture).

I noticed all this with my $20 Xbox cables.

:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.