AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Monster Cable is pretty much regarded as the devil around here, mainly due to price. However, I was in a local closeout shop today and they are selling Monster Cable Home Theatre kits for a heck of a discount.

$20 - http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1597

$10 - http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1593

My question is...does anyone know what gauge wire they are using in these?

Would I be stupid to pass this up, especially the first one with the component cables. Seems like I can't really beat this deal even at monoprice. Assuming that the wire is thick enough.

If someone could let me know soon that would be great because I don't know how long they will have them available.

Thanks in advance,

David

·
Registered
143 Posts
You could always unload it on ebay if you don't like the cables, I'm sure you could probably turn a profit at those prices.

·
Registered
We just moved, it's in shambles!
582 Posts
A lot of the monster stuff is 16 gauge I think.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the HTIB CV-KIT, the wires seem fairly thick, too thick to be 16 gauge. I like it alot.

maybe this will help
http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm

Without cutting the cable apart, I would say the diameter is a good 2 millimeters, which gives it a radius of 1 millimeter. That's an area of roughly 3 millimeters squared. guess what? 12 gauge. So much for all the 16 gauge monster bashing.

The component cable itself is probably worth $10 easy. The extra 10 ft subwoofer cable is really nice too. If you ignore everything else, just the quality of the component cable and subwoofer cable is probably worth the $20.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchaforce /forum/post/0

many websites online have had those "packages" for even cheaper. Its not a heck of a deal.

buy 12 gauge from monoprice, its way thicker than that crap

SCREW Monoprice. I waited 3 months for their 12 gauge cable. I passed up on other deals because I always assumed they'll have it in stock. Will the day they got them finally in stock they hiked the price by $6 almost.

If they knew they were going to hike the price, they should have advertised it as such 3 months ago. Instead they made an idiot of me and had me pass up all the other wire deals I found only to have them pull the rug out from under at the last second.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david81 /forum/post/0

I know that Monster Cable is pretty much regarded as the devil around here

I don't care, I buy what I like anyway...........

I don't know why the same people are'nt protesting $20,000.00 speakers, or $10,000.00 amps?

Quote:

Would I be stupid to pass this up, especially the first one with the component cables.

No, jump on this, it looks like a good deal. It's a good combination of quality cables and wire.

It is no less than 16AWG, and could be larger depending on wire model No..

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have this, I believe it's 12 gauge. I used a ruler to get a rough measure of the diameter of the wire. 2mm was pretty close. 1mm^2 * pi = about 3mm^2. Thats a 12 gauge wire they're using.

For it to be 16 gauge, the wire diameter would have been roughly 1 mm wide.

For it to be 14 gauge, the wire diameter would have been roughly 1.6 mm wide.

For it to be 12 gauge, the wire diameter would have been roughly 2 mm wide.

I trust my eyes to say that it was much closer to 2 mm than 1.6 mm.

1 mm no way

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I've been wondering for years on what the size; their hiding it for some reason.

However, the wire sucks; every time I've prepare it for use, strands break (on every other wire I've used, the strands don't break).

Monster are thugs; Boycott Monster.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupfacts /forum/post/0

SCREW Monoprice. I waited 3 months for their 12 gauge cable. I passed up on other deals because I always assumed they'll have it in stock. Will the day they got them finally in stock they hiked the price by $6 almost.

You can buy good 12-ga speaker cable (Carol Industries stuff) at Home Depot. Look at the wire on rolls, not the stuff in bubble packs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Straight from the Monster's mouth.....it's 16 gauge.

I'm actually surprised that they were so forthcoming with the answer. The whole call took less than a minute.

Still, for my runs, 10-20ft I'm thinking that it should suffice. Plus, I won't have to wait for monoprice to get any more in stock. I was going to need a new component anyways once the receiver gets here.

Who knows...If I hate it, ebay here I come.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:

I'm actually surprised that they were so forthcoming with the answer. The whole call took less than a minute.

Still, for my runs, 10-20ft I'm thinking that it should suffice. Plus, I won't have to wait for monoprice to get any more in stock. I was going to need a new component anyways once the receiver gets here.

Really!?

I took a ruler to measure this and the wire is 2mm across!?!?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So they said.....

I'll be picking one up later today. I'll probably sacrifice one of the cables for measurement. I hardly need 20ft for my fronts or 10ft for my center. I'll report back on this. May even pick up some Home Depot 16, 14 and 12 to compare.

David

·
Registered
29,326 Posts
With the Monster cable, it may look like 12ga because the outer casing is extra thick, but the wire is 16 gauge. A common practice done to confuse the buyer believe it or not.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts

Quote:

bottom-line, it's good wire.

They use thick insulation, with flux-tubes. Many other brands (of "audio" wire) are doing the same thing. Although Monster may be priced higher than others.

No mystery, or conspiracy.

It's okay to feel good to yourself that you bought it, don't let anyone make you feel guilty.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I bit the bullet and picked up a set. It definitely is 16 guage, says it right on the insulation. But considering I'll probably never run anything beyond 30 feet (and if I do I can "splurge" on some 14 or heck even 12 gauge) Considering that the kit came with 130 feet of 16 guage with banana plugs already attached, plus the component cable and a "bonus" subwoofer cable (which will most likely serve as digital audio coax until I can get myself a decent sub), I can't really find fault in it. The "equivalent kit even from monoprice (with 100' of 16 gauge instead of 130') would have cost me $53 bucks shipped.

I can rest easy tonight. No Monster guilt here. Now if the darn speakers and receiver would just get here.

David

P.S. For anyone who is interested...these will be used with my first "real" (not cheapo shelf system) audio setup. Yamaha 5960 receiver and a pair of Primus 360's with matching center. My wife will soon be in American Idol heaven me thinks.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:

Well, I bit the bullet and picked up a set. It definitely is 16 guage, says it right on the insulation. But considering I'll probably never run anything beyond 30 feet (and if I do I can "splurge" on some 14 or heck even 12 gauge) Considering that the kit came with 130 feet of 16 guage with banana plugs already attached, plus the component cable and a "bonus" subwoofer cable (which will most likely serve as digital audio coax until I can get myself a decent sub), I can't really find fault in it. The "equivalent kit even from monoprice (with 100' of 16 gauge instead of 130') would have cost me $53 bucks shipped.

It states SP16 not 16 gauge. I was having problem with that myself...
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

Take a ruler maybe. It's easy enough to see through the clear sleeve to measue the diameter.

2.053 mm = 12 gauge

1.628 mm = 14 gauge

1.291 mm = 16 gauge.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll do you one better actually.....no insulation....

In an effort to assuage any curiosities about the wire I figured that photo evidence may suffice. I pretty sure it's less than 14 gauge, maybe not quite as small as 16 but definitely not a full 14 either. I don't have any 16 to compare it with, but I did stop by Home Depot today to pick up some 14 for comparison. The Home Depot 14 is the solid copper color while the Monster is the fancy smancy braided copper/silver color.

Excuse the photos, I didn't take the time to set them up proper. Just a couple quick shots.

David

1 - 20 of 250 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.