AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people on the home theater forums (including this one) said that the Monster cables are over-priced. I must agree, as I had the displeasure of paying nearly $90 for a Video 3 component cable. That is nearly 50% the cost I bought the Panasonic DVD-RP82 more than two years ago! Fortunately, I found out that I did not need to pay for expensive cables so I sold them at eBay.

What made them over-priced? Is it the materials used in the cable?

· Registered
1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by megamii
What made them over-priced? Is it the materials used in the cable?
No....it's their mark-up.

· Registered
303 Posts
Check out Monstercable.com for their explanation as to why their products cost more than some others.

· Registered
1,652 Posts
I can understand it is expensive when you guys compare Monster to the industrial grade cables. But what about when you compare it to MIT, VDH, Transparent, Cardas n Tara Labs etc.. I thought their price are right in the middle of them. Let me know if I am wrong.

· Registered
2,167 Posts
megamii:

If you purchase the Acoustic Research Master Seris component cables, they are better rated than Monster Video 3 components. You can get them for cheap for about $30 dollars on Ebay. I bought two sets of them and a friend of mine also bought one so it's a good investment.

Both master series are hooked up on my RP82! I also have the master series coax cables as well.

Sango

· Registered
16,403 Posts
Monster has the name recognition, so they are able to charge more, pure and simple. It all comes down to marketing, and supply & demand. If sales decreased due to competition, they would lower their price. They do make good cables, but they are overpriced compared with other brands (ie, you're better off value-wise with Acoustic Research, Audioquest, etc, etc.).

· Registered
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sango
megamii:

If you purchase the Acoustic Research Master Seris component cables, they are better rated than Monster Video 3 components. You can get them for cheap for about $30 dollars on Ebay. I bought two sets of them and a friend of mine also bought one so it's a good investment.

Both master series are hooked up on my RP82! I also have the master series coax cables as well.

Sango
You might be able to get them for $30 on ebay, but the list price is $20 more than the Monster Video 3 component cables.

· Registered
7,295 Posts
Another round of Monster bashing, I see.

Some people buy into the exotic cables that cost thousands.

Some people buy into the high end cables that cost hundreds.

Some people buy into the mid-range cables that cost tens.

Some people buy into the budget cables that cost singles.

Start at budget and work up the food chain, if necessary or desired. Snug connector fit, proper length, shielding (if required) should be the guiding criteria.

IMHO

· Registered
303 Posts
What's funny to me about the whole thing, is that Monster and other companies get bashed for charging what they can get for a particular product and people bash them for it. If people weren't willing to invest in the technology built in to the cables, power products, etc, they wouldn't. It's just smart business. We act like companies should all be non profit. Some of the hobbiests on this site and others like it have no idea how business works. They just bash the same companies everyone else does, for the same reasons everyone else uses. Just a bunch of lemmings.

· Registered
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stryf3
What's funny to me about the whole thing, is that Monster and other companies get bashed for charging what they can get for a particular product and people bash them for it. If people weren't willing to invest in the technology built in to the cables, power products, etc, they wouldn't. It's just smart business. We act like companies should all be non profit. Some of the hobbiests on this site and others like it have no idea how business works. They just bash the same companies everyone else does, for the same reasons everyone else uses. Just a bunch of lemmings.
They are certainly entitled to charge any price they want. And every consumer can buy/not buy anything they want. Part of the problem though is if you go to a big box retailer or even some higher end speciality audio shops, the sales-people are very well-informed and trained in the selling of Monster cables - almost as if there is nothing else other than Monster cables.

The reason for the confusion, I think, is because the quality of a cable is usually in the eye (ear?) of the listener. If there was an empirical way of testing the quality of a cable, there would be no discussion about which cable is better.

IMHO, of course...

· Registered
2,167 Posts
Quote:
You might be able to get them for $30 on ebay, but the list price is $20 more than the Monster Video 3 component cables.
I checked the listings but there are snipers on that so that makes it more expensive since I used "Buy It" now at the time to get them for the good price. Even with my connections to get 60% off Monster's MSRP, it is still higher priced as well.

Technically I wouldn't complain about the quality of their cables but there is one thing that should take note. The gold teeth are way too tight to the connector of the device that the connector comes off when you pull the cable out because it broken the anchor off the device's PCB. The way to get around it is to forcely widen the teeth.

· Registered
303 Posts
the 3ft Video 3 lists for $70 the comperable AR lists for $90.

At 60% off the Video 3 is $28.....pretty simple math

The connectors are supposed to be tight. When you put them on or remove them your supposed to turn with the "turbine" style cuts so as not to damage the jacks on your equipment.

· Registered
303 Posts
Well that settles it then, doesn't it!

· Registered
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stryf3
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wannabe AVS enthusiasts = OWNED. And for good reason :p

· Registered
2,167 Posts
Stryf3,

Yup that's true for the 3 foot Monster. Unfournatley it's 3 ft is too short for me so I need the 6 foot.

The 6 foot does around $36.

Note that as indicated through the Monster's discount offer, that the shipping and handling charges do go on top of it.

I can obtain the the AR 6 foot with shipping which is cheaper in that case.

Reguaridng the turbine, it can be slightly more loose. In the past, the turbine was tighter.

I would say their discount comes in handy when I purchase the Monster Power HTS 3600.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.