AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a Toshiba 9200 with a Toshiba CW34X92 HDTV. Is there any advantage to using Monster 3 Component cable versus using Monster 2 Component cable? Thanks.

·
Registered
512 Posts
oh yeah, the rca brand component cables i picked up were 12 feet long and mis-tagged as $19.99 instead of the intended $29.99! gotta love that

·
Registered
42 Posts
My first post I have bettercables Components, going into my HDTV. I love the picture they help to create, a 'no scanning line' digital picture! My HDTV isn't just digital ready, it's Digital.

------------------

Gary Seven

·
Registered
42 Posts
My first post I have bettercables Components, going into my HDTV. I love the picture they help to create, a 'no scanning line' digital picture! My HDTV isn't just digital ready, it's Digital.

------------------

Gary Seven

·
Registered
987 Posts
The monster cables are made well, but the signal doesn't know the difference.

As long as the end connector is not crimped to change the impedance of the cable, all will be fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I also use Monster component rgb cables for HD stb and dvd

and I'm very pleased with it. The picture quality is fantastic.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Quote:
Gary, I'm a little confused. A better cable will let you see scan lines, a worse cable will hide them. Do you mean scan lines, or did you mean noise.

By the way, Following is probably cheaper than monster 3, and still way overkill for any short run:
http://www.avcable.com/Merchant/merc...gory_Code=HRGB

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
512 Posts
there might be a tiny tiny teeny weenie difference but unless you are a hardcore video freak (nothing wrong with that) you probably won't notice. i spent $80 on some monster cable component connections and then found some $20 rca brand component cables (with a nice silver braiding cover which looks really nice by the way) and i can't tell the difference in picture quality. in addition the turbine connectors on the higher end monster cables are so tight they could probably yank the female end of the connection right out of your tv! a lot of people in this forum recommend the BetterCables which are conveniently advertised on the top of the site, and i've heard good things about them too...

money or name recognition: you decide

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
lUCKY-

I THINK THE MAIN ADVANTAGE IS TO THE RETAILER- HE MAKES MORE MONEY. I HAVE SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON MONSTER CABLE, ALWAYS THINKING, YEA, THIS TIME I WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE. WELL, TO TELL THE TRUTH, IT IS DARN HARD TO TELL A DIFFERENCE, IMHO. VIDEO MAYBE A LITTLE MORE DIFFERENCE THAN AUDIO MONSTER. PLEASE CONSIDER SWAPPING OUT AND CHECK IT YOURSELF. SNAKE OIL? OTHERS WEIGH IN !

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I'm personally not a fan of monster cable. I think you can get substantially higher quality cable (ie avcables) for less.

On personal note, pls don't use caps. Its the forum equivalent to shouting

------------------

Alex

[This message has been edited by work permit (edited 06-29-2001).]

·
Registered
730 Posts
This is topic that resurfaces every now and then. Search for "Monster cable" and you should find some older discussions on it. I think the general consensus is (1)Monster cable is good cable; but (2) there are other very good cables that can be purchased for much less. (Some people have verified this using testing equipment and various different flavors of cable.)

Frankly, I seriously doubt most people could tell the difference between monster cable and off-the-shelf Radio shack cable in a double-blind test.

So, if you have money to burn then, sure . . . get the monster cable, it is good stuff. But if you want to save some money but still get great quality, get another brand of premium cable.

I was *seriously* annoyed by a "side by side" demo at a nearby Best Buy where they "proved" that monster cable was better because the TV hooked up to the DVD player using *component* monster cables looked better than the TV hooked up using *composite* ordinary cable. (*Cough* FRAUD! *Cough*)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Harms:
I noticed these CALRAD RGB Component Video Cables with high quality RCA ends at Stark Electronics. Tom
http://www.starkelectronic.com/newstuf.htm

6 Ft. for $25.95 & 12 Ft. for $34.95
They are out of the "High Quality" type connector mentioned above but have the molded connector for about half the price for molded gold RCA ends. I ordered the molded 6ft cable on Mon. 6/25. http://starkelectronic.com/calrgb.htm

·
Registered
987 Posts
As stated, Monster cables are better made cables, but IMO not worth the price.

If you disconnect and reconnect several times a day, they may be worth it, but for random connects, you can find cheaper.

Biggest problem I found is that some molded cables sometimes break the shield connection, which is why you have to be gentle with cables.

If equipment is old (and cables) make sure they are clean and make a good electrical connection.

·
Registered
228 Posts
There are no known advantages between cables with identical

electrical characteristics - impedence, capacitance and inductance. So, the purchase of very expensive cables has been shown to be irrelevant to picture quality. That said, it's still important to have a good quality cable from a mechanical perspective and to use cable which the manfacturer at least claims meets the most important spec for an RGB cable - 75 ohm impedence. This is doubly true for long runs (I have 50 feet) and when you're pulling it thru walls.

Rgrds-Ross

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
What about VGA cables, like for use from a DTC-100? Is Radio Shack off the shelf good enough for this, or do I want some fancy one?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am confused about what makes "component cables" marked with red-blue-green different from the "dubbing cables" that consist of three cables marked with red-white-yellow. The component cables that came with my decoder box are spindly, cheap-looking little cables that have to be the poorest quality you can get, but seem to work fine. Is there a difference in impedance? Shielding?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.