AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I am not sure if this is the right place to start this thread.

I am in the process of purchasing a 40ft.(12M) run of DVI/DVI cable n I came across the Monster 400 series. Please advise if any of you are using this cable at this length, n will I be experiencing noises n white flakes as some said with other brand, in this forum. Thanks a million !!!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

· Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Run, Run away quick from Montrosity cables!!! Overpriced. Look at RAM cable (a sponsor), Lindy, and many others. Many have been proven to work up to 50'. And most have a return policy if they don't.

It's not always the cable that introduces 'sparklies'. It also depends on the source's power to push the signal down the cable.

· Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply. I will be using the DVI cable between my Denon 2910 n Panny AE500 projector n I need a 40ft. run. Please advise if this combo will create any spikes or not, since I thought you need to use better quality cable to compensate the long length. Thanks.

23,075 Posts
ac388,

You won't know if it will work until you try it unless somebody else has the exact same player, PJ, and cable length (still no guarantee). There's nothing wrong with Monster cables except you can get equal or better quality for less money. Like Ernie said, make sure you can return the cable for full refund if it does not work.

larry

· Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Poop,

Thanks for your advice. But my thinking is if Monster put out a cable for that length, it should work. Otherwise, it will be a big joke for such reputable company. However, the reason I start this thread, is to hope somebody will second it before making my purchase. FYI, no return policy in HK.

· Registered
14,388 Posts
Remember, DVI starts out as a connection between desktop PC and its monitor. It's designed as short run cable and there is very little torrence for noises and signal degrading of long cable run. There is no way of guarantee the quality of long cable because it varies upon your DVI source (player) and display as well as your environment. Most companies that put out these out of spec long DVI cables don't even know themselves that these cable will work most of time or not.

· Registered
750 Posts
go to bluejeanscable.com and read about their DVI cable. THey make no secret about who the manufacturer is, and you can go to the manufacturers' site for more info. I believe they tested it to a 50 foot run with no degradation. I think that RAM is selling the same cable, but they don't tell you who is the manufacturer (but the price is nearly identical, and so is the appearance of the cable).

Monster makes good stuff, but it's horribly overpriced, and it's performance is over-hyped. Don't buy hype.

· Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info from all you folks. Too bad we don't have RAM or Lindy's here in HK. We can only choose from regular computer cable(which I did try n unacceptable quality), some no-name cable from Taiwan(like Maxcable), n then the other 2 are Monster n AQ. I wish I can try all the brand out one by one like you guys, with return policy from the store.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.