AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been a slow process, but the outdoor theater is starting to take shape.

The footings have been poured for the posts that will support the 16X9 ft canvas screen. Since the posts are mounted downhill, they will be 19 ft tall. The screen will be 20 feet from the front row seats, and 30 feet from the rear seats.

Shown here is a picture of one of the footings.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The equipment compartment will have a weatherproof door. Inside will be 5.1 amp, DVD player, wiring. This is located on the side of the house on the back side of the patio.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Well this is a novel idea. Got a plan view?

·
Banned
460 Posts
Is this from the TV show? They just got done with my friends house here in Simi(aviation themed) about a month ago.

DMF thanks for the sig. TIVO is set.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, it is "Monster House" - style outdoor theater. It would have been interesting what the show would have come up with. But, too late for that. Or is it? :)

BTW, it would be interesting to see the Aviation theme Monster House.

Don

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Randy-

Our street does not have street lights (private road) and the immediate neighbors are maybe 200 ft away on each side. The neighbors behind me are about 1/4 mile away! I would say that it is about as good envrionment as one could get without going out to the desert!

One neighbor has a tendency to turn on the outside floods, which may pose a problem. I'm considering a roll-down shade on that side to give the theater more privacy.

More pics soon!

Don

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Will there be a solid wall behind the screen? If not you may be showing the pic to the neighbors across the arroyo. Likely not a problem except for the pr0n...

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DMF-

For now, it will be a white canvas. This is experimental, and I may go to a solid screen.

Westshore-

I may be getting a Sanyo XP21N with a panamorphic lens. Lumens is at 2300.

Don

·
Banned
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarillo_cinema
BTW, it would be interesting to see the Aviation theme Monster House.

Don
It will be on Sept 9th, last I heard. Should be good viewing.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lesson #1 - before commiting to a screen size, make sure it's not too big!

So, I decide to make a mock frame of the outdoor screen out of PVC. I start to assemble it, and I was shocked at the monstrousity of this beast! At 16 x 9 feet, it larger than a 2-car garage door!

Back to the drawing board! I'm now thinking of something a little more tame, like a 12 x 6.75 ft screen.

Meanwhile, the patio is being finished this week. More pics soon!

Don

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
What's wrong with a 2 car garage door size? Depends on how far away its going to be from your seating area. There actually are issues when the image starts getting too large, such as the brightness of the image from the projector. The number of lumens is limited by the bulb and technology used and when the projected image gets larger, the brightness goes down...

·
Registered
24,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarillo_cinema
Lesson #1 - before commiting to a screen size, make sure it's not too big!

So, I decide to make a mock frame of the outdoor screen out of PVC. I start to assemble it, and I was shocked at the monstrousity of this beast! At 16 x 9 feet, it larger than a 2-car garage door!

Back to the drawing board! I'm now thinking of something a little more tame, like a 12 x 6.75 ft screen.

Meanwhile, the patio is being finished this week. More pics soon!

Don
What fun is that ? ;) Go big and take advantage of the fact that you can ! :D

Art

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scott & Art-

You're absolutely right - I do wanna think big! And I actually have the room! But, a couple of factors:

1) Haven't tested the Boxlight projector yet (4:3, 2300 Lumens with Panamorphic lens).

2) I have a little concern about the size of the picture and pixels from 20 ft away (1st row).

3) Lifting it up 19 ft may be a *****!

Just a sidebar, but Camarillo had another "Movie Night" at the park last saturday night. Not good at judging crowd sizes, but I'd say at least 1000 folks showed up. This had to be a 16 X 9 ft RP screen, and we were sitting a good 200 ft back. Had no problem watching and hearing the movie from this distance (Indiana Jones), and in fact, I was blown away at the PQ! I'd like to find out what equipment they're using.

I'll be testing the PJ this week with a 20 - 25 ft throw on the patio.

Don

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
So, do the calculations and see if you can reasure yourself. For instance:

My sony projector is 768x1366 resolution.

I have a 100" Diagonal screen (~87.25" wide).

87.25/1366=.0639"

That means that at the native resolution, each pixel is .0639" wide. Can you see that from 12 feet back? Nope.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.