AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a music store today, and ran across the Monster Cable products they direct toward musicians. The offer a balanced XLR cable (labeled Microphone Cable) five feet long for $75 MSRP, and audio interconnects with gold plated connectors for $24 in a two meter length. My question is whether these products could be used in a home theatre hook-up, and if the members think their use would be good, bad, or neutral, considering the price points. Any input would be appreciated and cure a curiousity streak.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Essentially, there is no difference between what is being called a microphone cable and a balanced audio interconnect in terms of their function or properties... it is all marketing. However, just as with standard interconnect cables, there are differences in sound from one balanced (microphone) cable to the next. The cheap belden microphone cables with the silver XLR connectors are usually pretty junky and are relatively inexpensive. Personally, I wouldn't touch the monster cable balanced cable because there is better out there for similar costs. Canare and Mogami make great "microphone" cables and am surprised that it isn't used more frequently for balanced connections in audio systems.

I had wired the house with microphone cables in the walls using Canare foil shield balanced cables. I then used silver solder and Neutrik XLR connectors for termination. I also started using the wire for interconnects between audio equipment where balanced connections were required. I found it to be as good as anything else I had heard out there and it didn't cost a heck of a lot of money to purchase. A stereo set of Neutrik XLR connectors run around $20-40 depending on where you get them and a 300' reel of the Canare was only a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scooter,

Thanks for the reply and input, I find it very interesting that you referenced Canare cables, as I used them for connecting my Meridian home theater, and loved the performance. I wont get into the cable fables of the Golden Ears, but I believe that some of these cable manufacturers are still vacationing in Hawaii with the profits from their overpriced offerings. I purchased my Canare items, but would love to know your source for the raw components, and how difficult it is to do this myself, or do you have a good source ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also using Canare to cable my Meridian system. Bought all the raw materials (L5CFB RG6 cable, RCAP-C5F RCA connectors, TS-5C cable stripper, TC-D-5CF die set and TC-1 crimp frame) from Markertek ( www.markertek.com ). Are they the cheapest supplier?? Probably not, but they had all the equipment and supplies when I needed it and provided prompt, professional service.

For info on how to assemble the cables, see http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm

...gregg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.