AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Standard HDMI ps3 Monster Gamelink cable , first link, and the monoprice hdmi cable 3661, second link. Which one do you think I should hook up from my Denon reciever to the tv. I was thinking about hooking the ps3 with the monster to the denon and then the monoprice cable out to the tv from the denon. Or do you think that the monster cable is superior to the monoprice cable?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_119PS3H...k.html?tp=2398

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
mon$ster = well made, heavily advertised, huge sales commissions

monoprice = well made, sold direct, very reasonable price

bottom line - no practical difference in performance, huge difference in price.

·
Registered
22,653 Posts
Urban Legend: Mon$ter is better than other cables because they cost more, look pretty, recommended by retailers and have great marketing/advertising.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/17008302

Urban Legend: Mon$ter is better than other cables because they cost more, look pretty, recommended by retailers and have great marketing/advertising.

Not to mention some grossly dishonest advertising, like the speaker wire demos Monster installed at dealers in the 1980s which had 50 foot lengths of extremely thin wire that nobody in the audio business would recommend to a customer, and compared that to their 16 gauge wire. Of course the 16 gauge Monster Cable speaker wire sounded better, since the thin wire they compared it to was far too thin for that distance.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White /forum/post/17008470

Not to mention some grossly dishonest advertising, like the speaker wire demos Monster installed at dealers in the 1980s which had 50 foot lengths of extremely thin wire that nobody in the audio business would recommend to a customer, and compared that to their 16 gauge wire. Of course the 16 gauge Monster Cable speaker wire sounded better, since the thin wire they compared it to was far too thin for that distance.

It did? It was?

In college, I hooked up my speakers with Belden 8451 (because that is what I had available.) People thought it sounded great because my speaker wires were shielded!

People who buy Monster usually have more dollars than sense.

·
Registered
22,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase /forum/post/17009036

(Oh, brother...)

What?

If you were joking... that's okay. If not, please explain why/how 22 AWG shielded speaker wire improves the sound.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/17009246

What?

If you were joking... that's okay. If not, please explain why/how 22 AWG shielded speaker wire improves the sound.

Shielding does nothing to improve the sound.

Neither does oxygen-free welding cable. FYI, if I wanted Monster Cable performance, I'd buy it at Sears. In the Automotive Department. (Jumper cables...)

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase /forum/post/17008632

People who buy Monster usually have more dollars than sense.

be fair... they don't necessarily lack "sense", they lack "knowledge"... and while those of us who haunt avs know how to acquire said knowledge, the majority of the public at large still doesn't... it can be somewhat daunting for a newcomer to the a/v world to decipher a site such as this... especially when their "trusted salesperson" is insisting that a certain product is "better"...

however, once they acquire "knowledge", if they then continue to buy monster (or any other equally or even more overpriced product), THEN they lack "sense"...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White /forum/post/17008470

Sad thing is, they still use setups like those. I had seen such a setup on my last visit to a local circuit city. I don't mind them using intelligent advertising to sell the stuff because, hey, if they can do it, more power to them (from a business perspective). But, those setups are pretty dishonest.

·
Registered
22,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase /forum/post/17010884

Don't take it personally. You know this board.

I did.

I do.

Just trying to differentiate between sarcasm and seriousness (or whatever your intent).

·
Registered
664 Posts
Audioholics did a neat article on this back in July. Not all HDMI cables are created equal, and on longer runs, some cables are actually better (in lab tests at least). For a 6' run though they all seem to be fairly equal. Test results are here: http://www.audioholics.com/education...esting-results

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzoz01 /forum/post/17012854

Audioholics did a neat article on this back in July. Not all HDMI cables are created equal, and on longer runs, some cables are actually better (in lab tests at least). For a 6' run though they all seem to be fairly equal. Test results are here: http://www.audioholics.com/education...esting-results

Okay, key point:

Not all HDMI cables are equal.

However, when functioning for the task at hand, there aren't any performance differences to be had.

Two subtly, but VERY different things.

Are there differences in the quality of HDMI cabling? YES! Absolutely, huge differences.

Will this lead to a better picture? NO! Absolutely not, assuming both cables are working for the task at hand.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.