AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Microsoft claims to have a surge protector built into the power supply, is this true? if so is it good enough?

I have a monster hts3600mkii, does anyone else plug there 360 in the surge protector or just straight to the wall?

my launch system worked perfect for 2 years plugged into my monster - moved to a new house, plugged 360 into the wall. 4 months later RROD...

thoughts?

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
RROD is unrelated to your situation.

IF the power supply is already surge protected, you risk sacrificing your power supply to save the 360.... if your power strip is going to get fried in a bad storm anyway, why not save the power supply too?

i wont get into the whole "cleaner power" argument though. i say use it if you own it, i run my stuff through an APC unit.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
I have had a Monster Power Center since 2006 and had no problems. Best Buy is actually coming out to see my tv KDS-R60XBR1(that one that Sony got sued over)

I used to work for BB and got my stuff on discount.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga /forum/post/16906760

I have had a Monster Power Center since 2006 and had no problems. Best Buy is actually coming out to see my tv KDS-R60XBR1(that one that Sony got sued over)
I used to work for BB and got my stuff on discount.

bypassing the ripoff monster products usually provide. Everything they produce is overpriced. Plus their aggressive trademark lawsuits shouldn't be endorsed.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ /forum/post/16906458

I'm with Formula... RROD isn't a power supply problem.

I'm also into an APC unit, but not the battery part.

you have like an H10/15 or something? thats what i'm running, i love it.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/16907076

you have like an H10/15 or something? thats what i'm running, i love it.

No, just a battery backup for the DirecTV DVR and cable modem, but I should probably get an H15 for the HT... thanks for the suggestion! I have Tripp Lite LC1200 for an upstairs office, and the thing "clicks" every time the AC kicks on, so I can just image what kind of current running through our old house.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 /forum/post/16912812

I still have a TON of monster stuff from when I worked at Circuit City and Best Buy. It wasn't so much of a ripoff at 60-70% off (then again, the competing products were all about 80% off at cost.)

same here, 75% off

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have one of these and highly recommend the product: Tripp Lite LCR2400 . You can find them online for far far less then the $499 MSRP. The main feature that attracted my interest was it's ability to regulate the voltage going into my equipment. It will automatically adjust the output voltage to 115v-120v so that you never have to worry about brown out or over voltage situations. In my old apartment I pretty much lived in permanent brown out conditions, continually getting 90v-100v from my outlets. The LCR2400 provided my equipment with 115v-120v continuously for several years running with no issues. In my new house I often am getting more then 130v from my outlets and the LCR2400 drops me down to a safer voltage.

The unit has 14 outlets on it (not a typo). All of the outlets have noise suppression, but there are 4 outlets that are white that have additional noise suppression for sensitive analog devices like receivers or CRTs. The one feature it lacks is any type of battery back up. So in the event of a power outtage, you will lose power to your equipment as well.

One note to those that buy one; the 2400 in the name refers to 2400 watts. It will safely supply up to 2400 watts of electricity draw, but you have to make sure you aren't severely overloading your outlet/wiring if you are continuously getting brown out conditions. Your breaker/fuse should negate this concern, but at full draw this unit can put your wiring and outlet to the test if you sit just underneath the trip threshhold of your breaker/fuse. If this worries you, you can look for a tripp lite LCR product with a lower wattage rating.

After much searching, this was the unit I settled on for my power needs, and it really has great bang for the buck if you have voltage issues where you live.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjibberjabber /forum/post/16918717

Good new is, most 360 owners probably have 2-3 spares anyway from consoles re-purchased. I know I have a spare waiting to go.

bad news is, your old power supply probably wont work with your new console.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjibberjabber /forum/post/16918717

Good new is, most 360 owners probably have 2-3 spares anyway from consoles re-purchased. I know I have a spare waiting to go.

Why? Can't wait the two weeks it takes to get a free replacement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/16920161

bad news is, your old power supply probably wont work with your new console.

Incorrect, PSU's are 100% forwards compatible, and 0% backwards compatible.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/16922017

Incorrect, PSU's are 100% forwards compatible, and 0% backwards compatible.

which is weird because when I had my launch console fixed two years ago it RR'd the day after I got it back. They asked me to send my PSU along with it this time and when it came back I got the smaller newer PSU. same console, no problems since.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts