AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Monster PowerCenter HTS3500 (the old one with the clear top, not the MKII with the silver on the front) and I'm wondering if it's still doing its job properly. For some reason the power plug in my living room is on the same circuit as the fan in the bathroom. Whenever the bathroom fan gets turned off, my Samsung DLP TV blanks out for several seconds, then the picture returns. The TV does not power off during that time, but the picture does go completely black.

It seems to me that what's happening is perhaps a spike or drop in the power due to the fan switch, but isn't this the exact kind of problem a power filter is supposed to fix? Do power filters become less effective over time? This one is a good 10 years old. I don't really remember, but I do not believe this problem was happening 7 years ago when I moved into this house.

Anyone have any ideas or advice?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoffel_Pock /forum/post/15435899

isn't this the exact kind of problem a power filter is supposed to fix?

A so-called power filter will do NOTHING for brownouts or voltage drops caused by motor starts. They are supposed to filter out voltage spikes (noise).
Quote:
Do power filters become less effective over time?

No.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
It seems to me that what's happening is perhaps a spike or drop in the power due to the fan switch,

No, that doesn't seem likely at all. Whenever an inductive load (such as a fan) is switched on or off, a burst of RF is produced. The RF is Radio waves and causes interference wirelessly. The burst probably causes corruption in the data to your TV, which blanks the image...It's not a power line issue, as you mentioned yourself, the TV never shuts off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's very interesting. While separated by a wall, the fan and the TV are really within 10 ft of each other. I have also seen it happen with turning on/off the florescent light in the kitchen, which is about 15 ft away. Could that be the same thing? If so, then I suppose there really is no fix, right? I just have a TV that is susceptible to RF interference?

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Well, there's plenty of people who have similar configurations yet don't experience the problem. Just for the hell of it, temporarily run an extension cord to your TV from outlets that are on different circuits and see if the problem replicates itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.