AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the Monster PowerCenter™ HTUPS 2700 w/ Clean Power™ system and have tried to research on the web for any user comments positively or negatively. There is absolutely nothing!

My goal is to provide a ups for the DVR so I can keep recording during a "brown out" of up to 10 minutes and then looking to basic surge protection. My gear is pretty simple overall with a 46 Samsung LED TV, Cox Motorola DVR, LG 390 Blue Ray, Denon AVR 2310 and X-box 360. I do not see any need for anything other than the DVR to be on the UPS.

Can anyone that owns the PowerCenter™ HTUPS 2700 w/ Clean Power™ from Monster share how your experience has been. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
They want about 6x more than its worth!!

·
Registered
6,096 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I actually bought low end Monster cables not because I think they are "better" but because of the nice construction... until one of the cables was giving me probs, and when I twist off the cap to inspect, it wasn't even properly soldered!!! and from that day on...

There are nicely constructed cables these days without the big$.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I actually have this specific unit and have had it for sometime now.

Works out pretty good. Whenever there's a surge fluctuation i hear this clicking sound inside the unit which i guess tells me that it's keeping the electricity conditioned. The LED display also helps because it lets me know the current electricity draw is.

I don't really have money to burn i just work in the industry so i was able to get it waaay below cost.

Just wanted to share my experience.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
JamE55, then why didn't you get an APC unit, waaay below cost?

You still overpaid.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Neurorad,

This specific unit went into a rack so i have a very limited space to work with and between the two units the 2700 was the way to go. And no matter what you'll always be overpaying.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Admittedly, 'overpaid' is a relative term.

I know NOTHING of the various features of the APC and Monster units - one often has to pay more to get the features one wants. A fact of life.

I've been thinking about this thread since yesterday. I read an audiophile article recently (forget where) which explained that really high priced speaker cables do, in fact, add to the listening experience, since it's very subjective. If I had $10K speaker cables, you're damn right I'd hear a difference - even if it wasn't measurable.

So, a Monster label on a component may affect the listening experience, regardless of measurable benefit.

But I still don't like Monster because of their slimy business practices, allegedly extorting money from small businesses.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/17307403

Admittedly, 'overpaid' is a relative term.

I know NOTHING of the various features of the APC and Monster units - one often has to pay more to get the features one wants. A fact of life.

I've been thinking about this thread since yesterday. I read an audiophile article recently (forget where) which explained that really high priced speaker cables do, in fact, add to the listening experience, since it's very subjective. If I had $10K speaker cables, you're damn right I'd hear a difference - even if it wasn't measurable.

So, a Monster label on a component may affect the listening experience, regardless of measurable benefit.

But I still don't like Monster because of their slimy business practices, allegedly extorting money from small businesses.

There was an article somewhere on this forum about HDMI cables on what's the difference between a high priced one vs a low priced cable. The article even showed a video of where there was a measuring device to see exactly what the transfer rates are of the cable.

Guess what? They tested both Monsters HD1000(they're most expensive HDMI 4ft for like $129) vs Rocket Fishs' lesser expensive 4ft cable(can't recall the price) to see if the have the same transfer rate and the result was yes!! Both have the same transfer rate. Maybe different in the way it was built but does that justify the cost? Maybe?

Point is certain things doesn't have to be expensive to get the quality.

I don't know what the history is of Monster so i can't really judge them. But from what you're telling me about their business practices and what not i think i won't be dealing with them any longer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts