AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 hdtvoice is giving away some of these new Monster HDTV cables. I was just about to buy some monster component cables, but should I hold off to see if they release specific HDTV cables? ALso, has monster went the DVI route? according to the specs on the new cables here , they have a DVI cable ready to go.... no firewire at all as well.....

Monster bit the dvi bullet?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am sure that Monster will build DVI cables. Why would they not? They are a "specialty cable manufacturer". They already have Firewire cables in their current lineup. I own several of them.

Ray

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
digital is digital. you either have 100% of the signal or you don't...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yep, both of you are correct in your assessments of cabling and signal transfer in the digital domain. While no discernable improvement may be realized in using high dollar cables where digital transfers are concerned, some people want to buy top quality cabling for varied reasons. Having lived on a beach in a salt water environment in the past, I have seen first hand the benefits in the corrosion resistance of gold plated connectors, and inert filled, and sealed cabling. Others may want it for bragging rights. I make most of my own cabling these days, but I had three Monster IEEE1394 cables thrown in on a recent purchase. The plugs are top shelf, and the cable itself is super pliable, and of obvious quality. This alone justifies my using it. YMMV.

Ray

·
Registered
381 Posts
Retailers love Monster products because of the 70% profit margin they provide. (can’t say that I blame them)

They can make up on the sale of the cables and connectors what they lost on the components. (People tend to price shop major components, not often cables)

BTW, for those of you who think gold connectors are a cure-all for corrosion be careful, if the inputs are of a different material, the result is quite the opposite. The cause is due to galvanic response. This happens when two dissimilar metals come into contact. The unfortunate result is that corrosion is actually accelerated. A good example of this, are British sports cars from the 60's where the bonnet was of a different metal from the body. Corrosion was a major problem where these dissimilar metals intersected.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Also in aircraft applications, all kidding aside, on this issue mostly everyone is right for a change......

·
Registered
277 Posts
While digital is digital, that doesn't mean you get 100% signal or nothing at all. Maybe 80% of the bits are correct, or 90%, or 99%. When you start approaching the point at which some bits are being dropped, the signal becomes unreliable and glitchy, and not necessarily on a consistent basis. So a poor DVI cable could easily cause glitchy, splotchy video.

But you would probably notice it and throw that cable away.

Luckily the newer cabling systems (DVI and 1394) are pretty well speced out, so that any cable that complies with the fairly rigid specs will probably work. But note that DVI especially is a very high bandwidth, fragile signal. The spec only allows cables to be 5 meters long (or something like that) before the signals get less reliable.

I personally own some of monster's lowest end cables, the $12 RCA interconnects available from Target, and I think they are decent. I totally agree that most of their cables are (like other audiophile cables) grossly overpriced. Knowledgeable people who know what is important in a cable can get good cables for much less. But Monster is effectively serving the large market of people who don't have be time or interest in understanding what makes a cable good, but want a trouble free, decently performing cable.

Anyway, as Ray said, there are many reasons for wanting good cabling, from ease of mechanical connection to reliability to cable flexibility to fashion. I am fine with Monster serving the market of people who want more and are willing to overpay a bit.

-Tom

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Morrow
While digital is digital, that doesn't mean you get 100% signal or nothing at all. Maybe 80% of the bits are correct, or 90%, or 99%. When you start approaching the point at which some bits are being dropped, the signal becomes unreliable and glitchy, and not necessarily on a consistent basis. So a poor DVI cable could easily cause glitchy, splotchy video.
do you work for monster?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.