AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a monster surge protector and a lightning storm took out my dvd player,hd reciver,sony 444es reciver,and possibly my hd tv . My question is will they cover it or should I go under homeowners insurance.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
I believe that your homeowner's insurance is primary (less deductible, right?) however that's never stopped people from doing it the other way around. Depending upon how Monster plays this, you may not be covered unless all incoming wires to your system, and that includes the sub, cable, any antennas, were also on the Monster Surge protector.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Some guarantees also contain escape clauses for improperly grounded house systems. For instance, even if *everything* goes through the surge protector yet the cable ground is not bonded to the house ground, you can still fry equipment and it wouldn't be covered.

Not saying that's the case here, but I've seen it with otherwise reputable companies. And this is Monster we're talking about.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Don't fogert the phone or network cable too. If you've got a HTPC or a DVR or a DBS in your set-up and the phone line or router isn't plugged into the monster protector, you won't be covered either.

Routers are particularly nasty cause then everything connected to the router has to be in on a monster surge protector too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
So read between the lines and the warranty is not worth anything!

I personally had storm take out over $5,000 worth of equipment. I have a Leviton whole house surge protector as well as individual TripLite units which supposedly have a $50,000 insurance. Yea right........I sent the unit into them and they said sorry, there must have been EMF that caused the problem. I found out real quick that those are purely marketing tools that the companies will find some sort of out to avoid the claim. There are so many escape clauses that it is absurd, including an EMF clause. I have never dealt with Monster and hope I never have to. The last claim was pain enough. Yes I have the Monster Home Theater unit, but I did not buy it based on the insurance value.

Fortunetly, I have good home owers insurance so was only out the deductible.

Good luck.

Mickey

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
More than likely Monster will take care of you. I have seen it on many occasions. They absoutely stand behind their products.

Panamax is another great company for doing this. They are more than happy to buy you new gear.

Scott

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Quote:
I have a monster surge protector and a lightning storm took out my dvd player,hd reciver,sony 444es reciver,and possibly my hd tv . My question is will they cover it or should I go under homeowners insurance.
I'm sad to read this. Bad luck!

If only you had chosen APC for taking care of your gear...

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
In the whole house approach, you need to insure that all incoming lines are protected. That includes phone, cable, and even such things as an outdoor sprinkler system, external wiring going to say the pool pump, .... you get the picture. The willingness of any company to have their warranty kick in is generally inversely proportional to the claim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.