AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm driving a full setup of PSB speakers (9C, 5T, 10S (2) ) with my Denon 3803. Is the Monster XP speaker wire good enough to do the job? I hadn't check the size (gauge) of the wire until I already paid for 250' of them. DOH! :eek:

THX723

·
Registered
85 Posts
he didn't ask what he should do, he asked if it was good enough or not.

Check the gauge first, then wonder if it's good enough or not, but chances are if its around 14-gauge or 12-gauge you should be fine. Monster Cable makes very decent speaker wire, and you shouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I made a measurement and they are 14-gauge, although that's not exactly true since Monster packed a small flux enhancing core in the very center. So the actual copper portion is slightly less than 14-guage.

THX723

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've got some xp speaker wire, and some rolls had a 14 on the jacket and some 16. I wonder if they refer to the gauge though, it seems strange that they would market the same product but have it come in different gauges.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
FYI

Most of the Current is carried on the outer portion of a wire -

Reggie

·
Registered
728 Posts
"Monster packed a small flux enhancing core in the very center"

Snake oil. Monster has been selling a lot of it since I got out of the AV racket 20 years ago. As dealers, we loved Monster cable- the markup was terrific, and warranty issues were negligible.

"FYI

Most of the Current is carried on the outer portion of a wire -"

Nonsense. Skin effect only starts to have significance at RF frequencies. Where do you guys pick this stuff up?

Loopy is right. If you can, return the roll of Monster cable and get some decent zipcord from a local hardware store.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
The biggest advantage to expensive wire (compared to zip cord), assuming that the guage is adequate, is that it looks nice and will have nice connectors. I have some 12 AWG speaker wire running to my subs, and it would be nice if it looked nicer but I can just shrink wrap it someday!

·
Registered
54 Posts
No need to pay extra money for those marketing hype. Any 12 AWG speaker wire will do a decent job.

Cambridge SoundWorks 12-Gauge 50 ft is 24.99

Acoustic Research HT222 Pro 12-Gauge 50 ft is 26.99

Or if you wanna cheaper cable, go to Home Depot.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by THX723

I find it odd that Monster made no mentions of 'Gauges' with any of their speaker wires. :confused:

To someone seriously comparing Monster with other brands, they rightfully assume they won't know what gauge means :)

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Here's a page that contains a nice table discussing size and run length: http://www.sundial.net/~rogerr/wire.htm

Insulation is also something with which to be concerned. I've seen wire turn green under the insulation of cheap speaker wire.

I use 12 AWG wire that home depot sells for landscape lighting. It comes in precut 100 ft. rolls for about $25. It is well insulated. I also think it looks fine (I use bare wire at the speakers).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pandasys

Thanks for the link. I filed it away in my favorite bookmarks. I knew that Monster is Snake Oil, but I was too lazy to look into why. It must be nice to be the owners of that company. Think about how much profit they are making on these cables.

I will admit, I do own some of their product, but only because it looks nicer then some of the stuff out there.

If a company came out with wires that were a fraction of the cost and looked good, I would gaurantee they would turn the cabling industry upside-down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.