AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 6940 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Since about last Wednesday, I haven't gotten a signal at any time of the day or night. Up to that time I had been getting a signal at 100% on my signal strenght meter. Thats why I think they must have lowered their power.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I received a reply to my e-mail to APT from Charles Grantham, Director of Engineering for APT. The problem was with thier PSIP signal. He said that they had entered it into the system correctly now. When I rescanned,

I once again had APT digital (27-1, 2).

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I'm not getting them either. I e-mailed them but I haven't heard back. It may still be a PSIP problem. I'm showing 26-1 and 27-1 now. My signal strength is showing 100% but there is no picture or sound. (I'm also showing the channel numbers for several APT stations that were added to my guide after that reset this PSIP signal a few day ago. Hopefully, they will get things worked out soon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Antenna Web is now showing PBS as being under review, they must have dropped power when they switched to 26-1 from 27-10 and 27-1. Have you heard anything back from them yet?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
No, I still haven't heard anything. I've gotten a brief signal a couple of times when I have checked the channel, but, generally, I'm not getting picture or sound (but 100% on my signal strength meter). Not sure what's going on. I'll send another e-mail and see if I can get a reply. I have to hand it to WNCF, except for one time when I lost it, their signal has been solid as a rock. Hopefully, I can say the same thing about WSFA when they finally get on the air, hopefully, in February. Not much I can say about WAKA.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I got a reply from Charlie Grantham, Director of Engineering. He said a board went out in their PSIP generator and they are waiting on a replacement to arrive in the next day or so. At least the power hasn't been lowered, and we should have the signal back in a few days.

·
Registered
240 Posts
32-1 ABC (Channel 51) Avearage about 75%

20-1 FOX (Channel 16) Average about 98% - been 100% when fine tuned

26-1 PBS (Channel 27) Average about 100%

26-2 PBS (Channel 27) Average about 100%

I had the Samsung tuner SIR 160 OTA and a Yaggi. I was able to sometimes pull in Dothan's Channel 4-1 CBS But traided the SIR with my dad because I got a Toshiba SAT receiver with built in OTA tuner. I must say I miss my Samsung SIR 160 OTA. I cannot pull in Birmingham or Dothan with the Toshiba. I also upgraded my outdoor antenna. I now use a Channel Master 4228 type hybrid with preamp. I can now pull in Fox 20-1 at 100% with it drop down to 95% every now and then.

I live on a side of a hill so I cannot pull any Birmingham stations. But I wonder if I could have with the Samsung SIR 160. Might just get me another one.

I live in Deatsville behind Holtville High School. I pointed my antenna (Per antenna web) to channel 30 out of Bham. It says I should be able to pull it in but like I said I live on the side of a hill. I think it is my receiver. It is one of the 169 time com mods. I might could see if my dad will let me borrow the SIR 160 again to see what I can pull in. I really wish the SIR 161 (for sat and local) had not taken out the firewire port or I would have snapped it up. That SIR 160 was a nice box.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Update

After trying to get best signal by turning my antenna I still cannot get enough signal for 32-1

32-1 has been very weak the past week. Have not gotten a good lock the past few days. 17-23%

20-1 has been a little weak but can lock on. 53%

26-1 has been broadcasting something that has thrown MYHD and my set top box out of wack for that past few days. That's two receivers getting 100% but something wrong with the signal. It was ok last night tho. 100%

26-2 has been fine. 100%

Slapout/Holtville

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
32-1 has been very strong and stable for me for a while. This week it has been almost perfect with only a very rare audio dropout. I can't get 20-1 at all. My receiver locked onto it one time but that has been it. 26-1 is good now although for a while the picture was unwatchable. They seem to be having problems keeping a stable signal on the air. I would probably get 20-1 if I oriented my antenna towards Montgomery instead of B'ham but I only watch one program on Fox anyway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am still getting a strong signal from both PBS and ABC, I have noticed the signal strength on the FOX channel has dropped significantly. I still have a great picture, I'm not getting as strong a signal. I don't know if they turned the power down or what. I wish it were possible to pick up the Birmingham stations all the time, I could do that and get ABC here and be in hog heaven. Is WSFA still a go next month or had they dropped back to March?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigerman73
I am still getting a strong signal from both PBS and ABC, I have noticed the signal strength on the FOX channel has dropped significantly. I still have a great picture, I'm not getting as strong a signal. I don't know if they turned the power down or what. I wish it were possible to pick up the Birmingham stations all the time, I could do that and get ABC here and be in hog heaven. Is WSFA still a go next month or had they dropped back to March?

WSFA is now saying March. This is at least the fourth "live date" they have put off, but at least this time they are putting it off only a month so maybe there is hope. WAKA still says maybe by the end of 2004. I don't have much hope for them. At least this has given me the chance to discover that ABC has some pretty good shows ("The Practice." "Line of Fire," and several sit coms that surprised me). If WSFA and WAKA thought they were losing significant numbers of viewers to WNCF (instead of only a hand full) that would speed up their transition to digital. In the meantime I'll have to be happy with ABC, PBS, the little I get from B'ham and my D* channels.

If I could get CBS and NBC full time from B'ham I wouldn't care what WAKA and WSFA did or didn't do. Has 20-1 started transmitting Fox's 480p signal?

·
Registered
240 Posts
The past month or so I was having problems getting enough signal strenth from all channels. I got to messing with my Antenna and found that the cable from my Antenna to my preamp was bad. And also one of my wires where loose. I guess from all the turning. So now I can get a good signal. So check your cables.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So what's the latest on NBC specifically. I see where they are listed as TBD on antenna web. Have they started building the tower and do they have the equipment ready to make the jump to HD in March. Hopefully it hasn't been pushed back any further.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Anybody heard anything else about WSFA. The last they told me was that they would be on the air in March. I sent an e-mail to them a few days ago and haven't received a reply (I received quick replies on all my previous e-mails). On TitanTv they went from "under review" to information "currently not available." This leads me to believe that they are in the same camp as WAKA (the only difference is that WAKA says they will not be on the air anytime soon and WSFA keeps giving dates aned then not meeting them).

Hopefully, I am wrong and we will see WSFA soon but I am not holding my breath. I thougt WNCF might put pressure on WSFA and WAKA but, I guess

not. Stan

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Jim, Thanks for the info just hope they come through. The first date thay set was 11-02 and there have been several since then (3 this year--2-04. 3-04 and now 4-04). I quess I don't have much faith in WSFA anymore, at least WAKA is upfront and you know not to look for their digital signal anytime soon. Hopefully, WSFA will come through in April-but I'm not holding my breath. Stan

·
Registered
133 Posts
26, 26-1 and 26-2 are all off the air as of this morning. Or at least I'm not receiving any signal for the 3. Also maybe, JimP can help on this one, is WSFA still shooting for April?

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Saw my contact just this past Sunday about WSFA. He said as far as he knows, they haven't changed the date. I think that they had said the end of March(tomorrow) or maybe April 1st. Sure hope this isn't their idea of an April fools joke.

Just tried to tune in 26 on Voom satellite. Got a no signal tuned. Maybe their fixing whatever was causing their signal level to bounce around so much.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
For those in the Montgomery area with PBS going black, there's an article of the wsfa website telling about something on the WAIQ tower literally frying. PBS is still able to broadcast from their other towers around the state, but not Montgomery. They're working on a temporary fix until a permanent fix can be made.

I guess we knew that something was wrong with WAIQ with their signal strength bouncing around, but I guess it took self distruction to get the station manager's attention. Or was it an AVSer? ;-)

Its possible that WSFA will go HD today. I'm unable to scan for new channels with my Voom receiver.(until they've modify the software). Is anyone else getting it? During the day, it may only show up as a digital station with SD and HD at nigh like some of the other digital stations have done.

21 - 40 of 6940 Posts