AVS Forum banner

6941 - 6960 of 6964 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
It appears WBIH has finally moved to its new tower and boosted it signal. I can get it reliably in the Redland area where I couldn’t get it until about a week ago. It is now the TCT network which is religious programming. 29.1 is now in HD as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Tom Servo

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have never seen a TV Station go over 7 Channels. Take channel 19 and 17 for example. Also, Channel 22 is getting new subchannels. I hope channel 32 gets some new ones soon. They are all owned by the same company.
Still color bars on 8.8 and the channel 22 subs. The trend nationwide seems to be adding more sub channels. Hopefully we’ll see a bunch more in 2021 and maybe even ATSC 3.0. That would give the stations the ability to add even more channels and at a higher quality. I may just have to trade in my HD homerun duo for a 4K ATSC 3.0 HD homerun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
628 Posts
Still color bars on 8.8 and the channel 22 subs. The trend nationwide seems to be adding more sub channels. Hopefully we’ll see a bunch more in 2021 and maybe even ATSC 3.0. That would give the stations the ability to add even more channels and at a higher quality. I may just have to trade in my HD homerun duo for a 4K ATSC 3.0 HD homerun.
Hopefully by the time ATSC 3.0 comes to Montgomery, some of the issues will be worked out. I don't have an ATSC 3.0 tuner myself, but I'm following the posts on the Mobile-Pensacola page here and it's been a rocky rollout. Right now WJTC and WFNA have switched to ATSC 3.0. WJTC is carrying their programming (Independent), plus NBC (WPMI) and WEAR (ABC) all in HD; WFNA is carrying their programming (CW), plus CBS (WKRG) and My Network TV (WFGX) all in HD. From what I've seen, some folks are having issues with aspect ratios being transmitted wrong, and audio not decoding on certain tuners.

For those of us without ATSC 3.0 it's still been an issue. With two TV stations converted, their ATSC 1.0 channels had to be offloaded elsewhere, which has adversely affected picture quality. For example, WEAR has ABC HD plus four SD subchannels now; WKRG has CBS HD plus CW HD, then three SD subchannels; WPMI has NBC HD and WJTC HD plus two SD subchannels; and WFGX has My Network TV in HD plus five SD subchannels. Over-the-air we still see the same channel numbers as before but the picture quality has taken a nosedive on ALL the channels because of how much crap they're putting out. MeTV never looked great on WKRG 5.3, but sometimes now it is completely unwatchable when the picture randomly degrades into a mess of blocks for a moment.

I have never seen a TV Station go over 7 Channels. Take channel 19 and 17 for example. Also, Channel 22 is getting new subchannels. I hope channel 32 gets some new ones soon. They are all owned by the same company.
Check out some of the low power digital stations in Los Angeles, like KSMV-LD. They have 17 subchannels. One even runs in HD! There's a handful of other signals in that market running 10 to 14 subchannels.

In Atlanta, WANN-CD has 10 480i channels and another 8 audio-only channels.

I can't imagine any of these broadcasts look good at all with that much crammed onto one multiplex, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hopefully by the time ATSC 3.0 comes to Montgomery, some of the issues will be worked out. I don't have an ATSC 3.0 tuner myself, but I'm following the posts on the Mobile-Pensacola page here and it's been a rocky rollout. Right now WJTC and WFNA have switched to ATSC 3.0. WJTC is carrying their programming (Independent), plus NBC (WPMI) and WEAR (ABC) all in HD; WFNA is carrying their programming (CW), plus CBS (WKRG) and My Network TV (WFGX) all in HD. From what I've seen, some folks are having issues with aspect ratios being transmitted wrong, and audio not decoding on certain tuners.

For those of us without ATSC 3.0 it's still been an issue. With two TV stations converted, their ATSC 1.0 channels had to be offloaded elsewhere, which has adversely affected picture quality. For example, WEAR has ABC HD plus four SD subchannels now; WKRG has CBS HD plus CW HD, then three SD subchannels; WPMI has NBC HD and WJTC HD plus two SD subchannels; and WFGX has My Network TV in HD plus five SD subchannels. Over-the-air we still see the same channel numbers as before but the picture quality has taken a nosedive on ALL the channels because of how much crap they're putting out. MeTV never looked great on WKRG 5.3, but sometimes now it is completely unwatchable when the picture randomly degrades into a mess of blocks for a moment.

Check out some of the low power digital stations in Los Angeles, like KSMV-LD. They have 17 subchannels. One even runs in HD! There's a handful of other signals in that market running 10 to 14 subchannels.

In Atlanta, WANN-CD has 10 480i channels and another 8 audio-only channels.

I can't imagine any of these broadcasts look good at all with that much crammed onto one multiplex, though.
Wow, 17 subchannels. They could stuff every major TV Network affiliate and still have room for 2 subchannels on each.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don’t know if it is weather related, a stronger signal or a new tower but WETU – LP, 39.1 and 39.2 (Daystar HD) are now coming in strong for the past few days at my house in Redland. This is the first time I’ve been able to pick up these channels in well over a year.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
They filed for a license to cover for their new RF 21 signal earlier this week. It's still coming from the same tower they used when they were on RF 39, but now it's 15 kW instead of 5 kW.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
my new projector screen has totally ruined channel 12 screen basicely covers antenna that is aimed west from JD area.is this true or false

correct me if I'm wrong the desired direction of ant. should be south S West from JD. woops it anit JD it's Rosa Parks now.maybe in a few weeks JD,Lee,Lanier ect, ect will retain it's name if not I'll probably continuing w/ yeh over near JD.

I've been wanting to relocate ant. to attic. so now mite be good time.

·
Registered
662 Posts
They filed for a license to cover for their new RF 21 signal earlier this week. It's still coming from the same tower they used when they were on RF 39, but now it's 15 kW instead of 5 kW.
Thank you! Huge difference.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm about 35 miles to the southwest of the WAKA transmitter. I've noticed over the last few weeks that WAKA has been breaking up on me. Anybody else having any issues with WAKA's signal?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm about 35 miles to the southwest of the WAKA transmitter. I've noticed over the last few weeks that WAKA has been breaking up on me. Anybody else having any issues with WAKA's signal?
No issues here in Redland NE of Montgomery

·
Registered
729 Posts
No issues here in Redland NE of Montgomery

Thanks jt. I went over to RabbitEars and looked at WAKA's antenna plot and wouldn't ya know it, they're focusing towards to the east, north, and west. There is a small lobe to the south. My location is on the east side of that southern lobe where the small love projects out from the main lobe...in a minimum signal area apparently. I may try moving the antenna before long and see how WTVY from Dothan works out. Thanks for the feedback, knowing somebody else wasn't having issues prompted me to look a bit deeper. The antenna pattern says a lot about the problem...guess WAKA isn't interest in this market area.<sigh>

But, looking at the Longley-Rice map I should be good to go with an indoor antenna for WAKA...and I'm using a DB8e outside. And...up to a month or two ago I was having no issues. Nothing has changed here. Maybe something between me and the transmitter changed. Odd.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
Er, WAKA uses an omni antenna. Their auxiliary--for when the main needs maintenance--is directional.

- Trip

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
WAKA is operating normally from the main top mount antenna with no issues, as is WNCF ..from the normal side mount. (WNCF was not repacked). Both from the same tower in Gordonsville.

·
Registered
729 Posts
WAKA is operating normally from the main top mount antenna with no issues, as is WNCF ..from the normal side mount. (WNCF was not repacked). Both from the same tower in Gordonsville.
Is the WAKA antenna omni-directional or lobed? I'm sitting at roughly 140-degrees and 40 miles from the transmitter.

If Rabbitears.info's antenna plots are fairly accurate then I'm within the plot of WNCF's antenna, but I'm sitting in a null of WAKA's antenna. Do these plots appear accurate? Thanks!

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
You are looking at the WAKA auxiliary antenna (DTX-LIC). Look above that one to see the primary antenna (DTV-LIC). The primary antenna is non-directional.

- Trip

·
Registered
729 Posts
Gotcha. I didn't even look at the data...just looking at the diagram.<duh> Well, I guess there must be something different in between the xmitter and my house. Hmm, wonder if the signal is too strong. I've got everything running through an AD Juice pre-amp but the Tall Tower signals, which are closer, have no problems. But the Tall Tower signals also are received by smaller antennas...A DB8e for WAKA and WNCF and a 4-element bowtie for WCOV and a dipole for WSFA. Front-end overload for WAKA, maybe?.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well, I went out and adjusted the antenna maybe 10-degrees north of the old, tried and true setting and now I'm getting a good, solid signal. Maybe there was a multi-path issue or maybe the signal was too strong?...having the 8-bay at a bit of an angle seems to fixed the problem. Re-adjusted the other antennas for WSFA and WCOV and all channels are solid with maxed out signals. (y)

·
Registered
23 Posts
What OTA antennas do you all recommend? I'm in the Dalraida area and plan to mount this thing in the attic. Trying to get consistent reception from our major stations that are now rimshots.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I'm not getting 17 any more dam. all others seam aceptable.
I highly recommend the clearstream2 antenna

6941 - 6960 of 6964 Posts