AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two monthly's which I just activated today. I also have WIRNS that I intend to connect them to along with other replays which I already have set up on WIRNS. . My question is: by not connecting to Replay servers but only WIRNS will I ever have to worry about them deactvating? And if I switch back to the replay TV listings do I have any concerns? I am running WIRNS version 3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplenty /forum/post/20762348


I have two monthly's which I just activated today. I also have WIRNS that I intend to connect them to along with other replays which I already have set up on WIRNS. . My question is: by not connecting to Replay servers but only WIRNS will I ever have to worry about them deactvating? And if I switch back to the replay TV listings do I have any concerns? I am running WIRNS version 3

The only difference (in the Replays) between 'monthly' and 'lifetime' is the registry keys that control the expiration date. WiRNS 3 (with 'authcmds') sets these to never expire. Any settings on the DNNA server are now irrelevant since you're not connecting to it.


If this is a later Replay, you can check the Replay's 'setup' menu. If you find any mention of 'WiRNS', you know you've got it working.


BTW, if it was monthly, you might want to check your credit card statements in case they try to start charging you for nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I bought these used for the parts and remotes and never used them because I didn't want to pay monthly. Now I have a gift of two that are usable, all my others were already lifetime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rplenty
I have two monthly's which I just activated today. I also have WIRNS that I intend to connect them to along with other replays which I already have set up on WIRNS. . My question is: by not connecting to Replay servers but only WIRNS will I ever have to worry about them deactvating? And if I switch back to the replay TV listings do I have any concerns? I am running WIRNS version 3
If you go back to DNNA for TV listings only, you are going to have to go back to WiRNS 2.1 (unless 3.0 is updated).


With 2.1 you want to install the "NoSoftwareUpdate.dll" as well as the AuthActivate.dll (version 1.2) so that no new software will be installed on your Replay (just in case), and so that it will keep your units authenticated/activated and will also take care of time verification.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I downloaded Wirns 3.0 last week but have not used SD yet to get guide data. I want to get Wirns 2.1 to temporarily use it to get DNNA guide data but cannot find a link to download 2.1 from. It looks like the Wirns website has a link under "Download Extras," but the link does not appear to work.


Anyone know of a website where I can get Wirns 2.1?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecicci
I downloaded Wirns 3.0 last week but have not used SD yet to get guide data. I want to get Wirns 2.1 to temporarily use it to get DNNA guide data but cannot find a link to download 2.1 from. It looks like the Wirns website has a link under "Download Extras," but the link does not appear to work.


Anyone know of a website where I can get Wirns 2.1?


http://wirns.com/Download/



You may need to right click on the link and choose "Save Link As.." or something similar from the menu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Thanks, Space, for the quick response. I just tried to download Wirns 2.1 again with your suggestion and still to no avail. In fact, the majority of the files on the Wirns Download pages do not appear to download.


Any other suggestions?


Thank you very much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecicci /forum/post/20764739


Thanks, Space, for the quick response. I just tried to download Wirns 2.1 again with your suggestion and still to no avail. In fact, the majority of the files on the Wirns Download pages do not appear to download.


Any other suggestions?


Thank you very much.

What browser are you using?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Using IE 8. When I click on the link, I just get a large page of jumbled characters. Right-clicking will allow saving the target as an htm file. If I change the file extension of the file about to be saved to an *.msi file, do you think it will it correctly save it and allow execution and installation afterwords?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecicci /forum/post/20768137


Using IE 8. When I click on the link, I just get a large page of jumbled characters. Right-clicking will allow saving the target as an htm file. If I change the file extension of the file about to be saved to an *.msi file, do you think it will it correctly save it and allow execution and installation afterwords?

I don't have IE8, but I tried it in IE7 and it works if you select "all files" and change the extension to ".msi" when saving.


If you can't do that, then just save it as ".htm" and then rename the file to change the extension to ".msi" and run it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,851 Posts
If you use firefox- right click on the download link- "save link as..." pops up- hit "save" once it downloads- with windows explorer simply remove the .html after the xxxx.msi extension and you're left with xxxx.msi which will work at that point.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top