AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently installed a pair of Speakercraft Aim5 Three in my ceiling. The ceiling already had new construction brackets and the attic contained blown in cotton insulation. The new construction brackets holes were covered with a piece of rigid foam insulation.

Once the speakers arrived, I pushed the rigid foam up and out of the way, and I used a couple of long pieces of cardboard to fold into a cylinder shape to keep the blown in insulation pushed out of the way. The rigid foam then became the top to the cardboard cone. I then filled this cavity with a piece of fiberglass insulation and installed the speakers.

My goal here was to keep the blown in insulation away from the back of the speaker while at the same time trying to keep a reasonable thermal barrier.

This is not the most elegant solution, but worked well for my situation.

·
Premium Member
15,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind49 /forum/post/18133302

Speakers are already mounted in drop ceiling. Do I need to cover them with insulation, place a box over them or just leave them as is, with nothing over them? Thanks for any info.

What in-ceiling speakers are you talking about? If they have integral enclosures, you don't need to do anything. If they are open-back in-ceilings, you probably want to make some kind of baffle for them. A "dropped" ceiling is likely absorbent at higher frequencies and acoustically transparent at lower frequencies. Neither property is what the speakers are designed for. They are likely "infinite baffle" designs, which expect a hard, reflective surface around them.

I suggest you contact the manufacturer to find out what type of "baffle" they are designed for, and whether you current installation is appropriate for them.

Craig

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.