AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I purchased 2 HDTV ready TVs (TW40X81 and Samsung CRT 4:3) last year. Naturally, with almost no HDTV source material, I had decided to delay my purchase of an HDTV tuner.

I am still not sure about whether there are any receivable HDTV stations in my vicinity (Milford, CT), but I wanted to check whether prices for HDTV tuners have dropped. Oddly, I found very little discussion here about this issue (maybe my fault).

So, are there any cheap HDTV tuners on the horizon?

/iaw

·
Registered
395 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I've been in a buy mode for equipment lately, and have done quite a bit of research into tuners. In general, don't expect any PC type growth in features and specs for receivers. They just aren't a big enough commodity yet I think.

There is a new Zenith receiver that is expected out near the end of the year that may or may not have a few nice things over the existing lot out there, but its all on paper now. Nobody is saying they've seen one working yet.

So, there is little danger of buying now and something cheaper/better coming out within the next few months.

There is a good round-up of current recievers in The Perfect Vision magazine. My findings is that there just isn't a huge difference in existing receivers right now. There are a few little things that may or may not harm or hinder your purchasing decision, but nothing big.

As for me, I am going to struggle a bit longer with my Time-Warner cable box and see what the reports are like on the Zenith. If that turns out to be a bust, I'll probably get the Panasonic.

Good luck! --Karl

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Moore's law of HDTV receivers says that the capabilities will increase by 1% each 18 months, during which time the price will drop by 5%.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: T-bird 1.4, K7S5A, Radeon LE, accessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile
It's not HD. It's HBO.
s>

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are there not also new algorithms and software that

improve signal reception and reduce

multipath interference? These improvements are

not limited ny Moore's laws and are most welcome.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have purchased to OTA receivers in the last year or so and I can say there have been improvements. On the same antenna connection, my DTC-100 fails to lock onto signals that the internal tuner in the Sony XBR2 can display, and generally the Sony has fewer dropouts (but not zero) on weaker signals.

I think the next big leap in set-top boxes will be the introduction of those with digital connections of some variety. If someone announced a box that ONLY had digital outs, it should be significantly cheaper (like the Mitsubishi HD-recorder deck), but I'm guessing there's still a much larger market for boxes with both types of outputs.

Maybe some company that has invested earlier in Firewire or DVI will be the first to make a lower-priced Sat-only digital output box to complement those sets with internal OTA tuners and digital ins? I'm sort of waiting to see what happens there, myself. There's definitely nothing on the market right now that seems next-generation or cutting-edge, it seems the whole market for tuners is in a holding pattern..

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I think receiver features and performance are increasing somewhat, but prices sure aren't falling significantly as Moore's law would indicate. Prices remain too high and show little sign of dropping anytime soon. In fact, I noticed today **************.com slightly raised the price of a couple of their receivers over the last couple of weeks.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I live in New Haven, CT and wanted to get a DISH 6000 system, so that I could get CBS-HD (I'd use a fake address) but my land lord chickened out and will not allow me to install a Dish on his roof. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

I would buy an HD tuner if I could get one for $250 or less. I am not going to pay $550 to $800 for a friggen tuner when I will be moving next Summer into a houe that I will own.

If anyone knows of a way i can get a tuner for $250 or less, I am all ears.

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
169 Posts
is it just me or does moore's law seem to have the opposite effect on sat receivers? When i think back to my oldest DTV receiver, it was definetly the fastest. My newest (and most expensive) Sony HD100 Ultimate TV receiver is annoyingly slow. I hear HDTV receivers aren't much better..

I'd love to know what processor they put in these things.

Gerald

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.