AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my 1031q in hand now and im working on figuring out how i want to setup my room. Im assuming i need to settle on setup before going forward on building a screen? on converging? I have decided on using an HTPC but haven't settled on a screen format.(I'm leaning towards 16:9)

Question 1: My first question involves screen size. Ideally, in my room id like to mount the projector in the back of the room at the top of a tall closet, cutting out a hole in the wall for the projector. The problem is that would give me a throw of about 170". In reading the manual, there are 3 spacer settings: 72", 100", and 100"-250". According to the manual, at 170" throw, im looking at about a 130" screen. Jason told me this is way too big and that the projector will be way too dim for that size screen. Is there some way i could use a spacer to allow me to have the 170" throw but change the throw/picture size ratio? Otherwise, im going to have to go with the coffer table setup and make my setup klunky with wires/power/etc....

Question 2: I got some kind of box with my projector that is supposed to be for inputing a vga signal... heres a link:
http://www.gridley.org/~inslaim/paul2/P1010017.JPG
http://www.gridley.org/~inslaim/paul2/P1010018.JPG

Will this work for and HTPC or will i need some other cables?

thanks all!

-paul

· Registered
16,924 Posts
Paul ,

-- there is no way around the distance/throw issue with CRT pj's [ No Zoom Lens ] .

-- That is an Extron Box and that will do a great job with the 1030Q1 [ looks like you are good to go for an HTPC connection ] .

--- See my website for another way to use your PJ [ click the WWW link above ] .

--- Best of Luck Paul ,

--- Jason Berg

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey jason,

thanks for the reply. i was afraid youd say that about the throw distance, so in the meantime ive been staring at my room trying to figure out plan B. My room looks alot like yours except for one thing. I have sliding door closets in the back. Thats why i was hoping to just have everything hidden away in the closet....flip a switch....Voila!!!...Lights dim, projector turns on, HTPC fires up, and the curtains slide open. I guess I can settle for a ceiling mount and take down the ceiling fan. The back closet wall is at 170" from the projection wall. Right now the PJ is sitting on a card table right at about 137" throw. I'll just ceiling mount the PJ and run the power and Extron box cable into the closet. Heres a basic pic of the room:

http://www.gridley.org/~inslaim/paul2/ht_room.jpg

Now that I have a basic idea where im going to put my projector and throw distance I can decided on a screen size. I'd saying I'll be using it about 40% movies(DVD), 40% computer/surfing/Games, 20% analog cable TV. I was leaning towards 16:9 like you but what is this I read about burns watching regular 4:3 TV on a 16:9? Also, it looks like my extron box is pretty old. Do you know what the different switches do?

-paul

· Registered
16,924 Posts
Paul ,

-- there should be a manual available on the Extron website for the 109 . I have an Extron 108 that has more adjustments then the 109 but it should work great . Most of the adjustments you will not need to use , but check the manual for specifics . I only use the Voltage adjustment and Peaking controls on my 108 which make an incredible difference in the image Contrast and Sharpness . It looks as if you have all the cables there for connection to an HTPC , be sure that you have the 9 to 15 pin cable that goes from the VGA out on the HTPC to the 9 pin input on the Extron .

--- for your viewing you will be best to keep it 4:3 , I watch about 80% anamorphic DVD with my 1031Q so I went 16:9 . You can get burn in the tubes by shooting 4:3 right in the middle of your 16:9 image so most stay with 4:3 that have a variety of programming needs like yourself .

--- Best of Luck ,

-- Jason Berg

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jason-

if i went 16:9, I was planning to have my computer output 16:9 when i used it for surfing and such, so wouldn't i want to stay with that format instead of 4:3? Also, if you watch regular TV, does using some kind of stretching algorithm prevent burns?

I can't seem to find the extron manual for my box. Theres a 109xi which is a new model but looking at the manual i dont see much similiar to mine. I need to read it more closely to see if it has the same controls mine does (actaully mine only has one switch on the whole box), maybe i can figure it out.

Finally, if i mount on the ceiling can i converge the porjector before i put it up there or do i have to do it in its final location? I assume that its best to converge it where its going to be, but making all those adjustments with a screwdriver while the projector hangs upside looks to be a pain? Maybe i will just have to suffer.....

-paul

· Registered
16,924 Posts
Paul ,

-- If you don't mind the stretch on regular tv viewing then go for the 16:9 screen . I do that for my Sat. signal and it doesn't really bother me since most of my critical viewing is done via DVD . Using Dscaler with an Input card can get you just about any aspect that you would require .

-- No manual for the 109 , hmmm.... maybe you can post a request here on the forum and someone can scan in a copy and send it to you . I have manuals for about 4 or 5 extron models but not the 109 - sorry .

-- The convergence needs to be set after being mounted , you can however get it as close as possible so that only minimal adjustment is needed . Keep in mind however that your keystone will probably be off once the unit is inverted and mounted to the ceiling [ so there will be more adjustment needed once it is up there ] .

-- Best of Luck ,

-- Jason Berg

· Registered
117 Posts
Your RGB109 is about 10 years old. In the professional video world it may be considered an antique. :)

It should still work just fine for your system. For the best settings call the manufacturer. Extron's got great support. Their number is 800-633-9876. Be sure to tell them that the RGB109 is grey and white from the early 90's.

· Banned
2,582 Posts
go look at my theatre in the photo area, I am running my 1031Q on a DRAPER 16:9 screen and I use it for normal 4:3 material. There is a littlel bit of streach but its reall not that bad, not as bad as wide screen RPTV's when you display 4:3 in wide mode.

You can get the convergence close but you will need to make adjustments like Jason said. You can never get it perfect on the floor if your going to the ceiling with it. Just make sure your height measurements of the screen and projector are good as to not have to use too much keystone correction.

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys! im running into a bit of problems prioritizing the order of what i should do. can you guys just tell the best order cause i have no idea. heres what ive got to do:

1. build screen (trying to do the parkland plastics screen)

2. clean/converge unit

3. mount to ceiling.

4. finishing building htpc

right now i was planning on doing in that order. problem in building the screen first is im not sure how i know exatly the screen size without mounting and converging the unit. and i don't know how im going to do a good convergence without the htpc (no dvd player)

-paul

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh, another question on converging....ive read the manual and it seems pretty clear, plus i've searched and found several threads with step-by-steps. However, if im going to do 16:9 all the time do i use a 16:9 picture to converge. The manual just talks about using the internal grid (4x3), but ive read many say that wont get you all the way there. I have a friend bringing me the video essentials disc tomorrow (too bad my htpc isn't done yet to use it). Also, i called extron and Serlin was right! they were very nice and helpful. There going to fax me some information and are looking for an old manual.

-paul

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Extron faxed me the RGB 109 specs....no manual yet:

says can display 640x480 up to 800x600

horiz freq: 15-45khz

vert freq: 60-87Hz

RGB video bandwith: 100MHz

Horizontal and vertical picture centering

· Registered
240 Posts
Dude, just set it up and play by ear/converge by eye ;). That's the way i did it, and asking questions doesn't prepare you for the real thing.

Lots of luck.

Mark

· Registered
16,924 Posts
Paul ,

-- if you are going 16:9 then try to converge a 16:9 grid . You will probably have a larger grid then what you want so when your HTPC is ready you can setup Powerstrip to get you the correct size [ like 45" x 80" ] . I use a 16:9 grid and shoot a smaller 16:9 image within the grid using Powerstrip . I found that going any larger than about 80" on the width [ not diagonal ] will cause a loss of brightness for the 1031Q . These units come factory set for a 60" x 80" image so 45" x 80" works very nicely and much easier to obtain a good solid focus [ as long as your distance is correct ] .

--- Best Wishes ,

--- Jason Berg

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, i stopped asking questions and did some work. Decided to get my HTPC first since that can help me with everything. Heres what i got right now:

1700+ Athlon XP,

Gigabyte 7DX mobo,

256M DDR,

Radeon 7000,

old Creative PC-DVD 6x with harware decoder card,

Windows XP Pro

Any Suggestions? Comments?

I've got a clean install with Powerstrip. I started trying to converge the 1031q with just the internal grid blasted on my wall. DANG!! This is going to take some time. Im going to give it another shot tomorrow. In the meantime, I fired up the HTPC into the PJ. I have the video card resolution on 640x480. How do i make sure i don't damage my PJ when driving with the HTPC? Do i just make sure i dont go over XXXx480 with powerstrip? Also, Jason you suggested setting up the 16:9 throught powerstrip and converging on a smaller pattern inside that. What settings do you use and what patterns do you use for convergence?

Thanks for the help everyone!!

I've seen the PJ at 640x480 and now im getting even more excited..

-paul

· Registered
16,924 Posts
Paul ,

-- what I suggested is that you set up your test grid [ built into the PJ ] for 16:9 and then use Powerstrip to shoot a correct [smaller] 16:9 image inside that of the test grid [ make sense ? ] . The reason for this is that you normally cannot get this unit down to the correct size for a 45" x 80" image by itself and if you do then your HTPC image will be even smaller .

-- be sure that you don't push the SCAN RATE over 32Khz as this can cause a problem for the unit [ it may not but why risk it ] .

-- Best Wishes ,

-- Jason Berg

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
>Paul ,

>- what I suggested is that you set up your test grid [ built into the PJ ] for

>16:9 and then use Powerstrip to shoot a correct [smaller] 16:9 image

>inside that of the test grid [ make sense ? ] .

hmmm, you lost me here. i dont know how to make the PJ spit out at 16:9 other than feeding it a 16:9 image through my HTPC. The internal grid pattern is 4x3 so how do i make 16:9? and then how to i make my HTPC send the projector that grid pattern?

-paul

· Registered
16,924 Posts
Paul ,

-- you can get the grid to a 16:9 aspect by adjusting the overall size of the grid [ squeeze the vertical on the grid by adjusting the pots and use the rgb V-Size pot under the convergence board if more squeeze is needed ] . This is kind of difficult to get but it is worth it as it gets rid of all the scanlines by grouping them closer together [ really improves the image on these PJ's IMO ] .

---------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Or if you can't get the grid to 16:9 aspect then just use the 4:3 grid at 80" x 60" and shoot your 16:9 image inside of that using Powerstrip and the HTPC [ sort of like an anamorphic image inside a 4:3 box - like how a normal 4:3 Dtv does anamorphic right in the middle ] .

---------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Sorry if this is not making sense to you , it is hard to explain .

--- Jason Berg

· Registered
6,226 Posts
i know some thx dvd's have a convergence grid in the optimizer, but if you ever get tired of putting in that dvd then do a search in forum for a program called align.a member told me about it and i love it.i keep it on my desktop and call it up when ever i needed to touch up convergence.you can set it for 16x9, or 4x3.and add circles and many other items to help you out when converging.

i have a 1031 as well and i squeezed my projector down asclose to 16x9 as i could.screen is 80" wide as well.i did not use pots under convergence board at all....i then used powerstrip to finish squeezing the image down to 45".and the picture is absolutely incredible!!get those scan lines close and you will not regret it.

brickie

it's funny that about a year ago me and my wife both hated widescreen...now we love it!!!

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks brickie and jason! I spent some time this evening when i wasnt as impatient and got it converged as well as i could with just the internal grid at 4x3. Im going to take your guys advice and push it down to 16:9, converge with the internal grid, and then ill try to find that "align" program and tweak. I assume I just measue the screen with a tape measure and adjust the pots until im right at 80x45?

One confustion about the projection size. If i squeeze the projector image with the pots, then input a 4x3 signal, wont i just get a stretched 4x3 image? And if i input at 16x9 signal (via powerstrip and HTPC), wont it be even further distorted?

Guess its time to find out.....

-paul

· Registered
6,226 Posts
i will try to answer .....you should not get a distorted image.what will happen is that you will get a small 4x3 image centered inside of your 16x9 image.image will not be distorted but will be small.you will have bars on each side as well...you could use powerstrip to stretch it, but i don't like doing it...i just don't buy or watch 4x3 material anymore on my system...i use my 35" for that.align is a great program...i just got tired of getting video essentials and going thru menus just to touch up convergence..now i can just fire up a convergence grid from dektop.properly setup the 1031 will put out some amazing images.my test for if i really got it tuned is shrek..if i have my system really tuned(always is) then it looks like i can walk into the movie...it's that 3d..

brickie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.