AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at blu ray players and curious to find out if spending more money (over $350) compared to $250 and below will get you a player with better video and audio quality.

I just bought the denon 4310ci and was advised to get an expensive blu ray.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnak /forum/post/19563937

I am looking at blu ray players and curious to find out if spending more money (over $350) compared to $250 and below will get you a player with better video and audio quality.

I just bought the denon 4310ci and was advised to get an expensive blu ray.

Audio quality probably to almost certainly (unless you will do all your sound decoding in your receiver or pre/pro--then it would be money wasted). Video quality for Blu-Ray: maybe but probably not. Video quality for standard DVD: yes if the player uses one of the better deinterlacing-upscaling chipsets. There is an upper limit beyond which the improvements will either fall off significantly vs. dollars spent or else be totally non-existent. The consensus seems to be that that amount is around the $1000 mark.

·
Registered
15,957 Posts
For BluRay discs, PQ is pretty similar with inexpensive and expensive players (if using HDMI out). What you tend to get with higher priced players is better build quality, better analog audio (irrelevant if you use digital outs), perhaps better PQ of BDs over component, and better upscaling of SD DVDs.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
For BluRay discs, PQ is pretty similar with inexpensive and expensive players (if using HDMI out). What you tend to get with higher priced players is better build quality, better analog audio (irrelevant if you use digital outs), perhaps better PQ of BDs over component, and better upscaling of SD DVDs.
He can use his very nice denon 4310ci to do the upscaling, right?

Quote:
Analog and digital video sources are upconverted via Anchor Bay VRS processing to HD quality (up to 1080p/24/60),
So why spend $$ coin for DVD upscaling chipsets that are duplicated on high end A/V's??

Not frugal IMO, save the $$ for other "stuff".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for responding to my question.

I have an older OPPO ( ? 970 ? ), not blu ray.

The video looks great thru HDMI.

I upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V995 ( no HDMI ).

My TV is an older Panasonic plasma ( 720p ).

Will the blu ray player make a difference?

Or should I just wait till I upgrade to a 1080p tv?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnak /forum/post/0

Thanks again

I think you'll be impressed with the new audio formats so I would buy now. There should be improvement with the video but for me the audio alone was worth the change to Blu- ray.

·
Registered
15,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnak /forum/post/19576276

Thanks again

I have a 720p DLP and definitely see an improvement with BluRay versus SD DVD (comparing both formats of the same movie). But, the difference between VHS and SD DVD is much more dramatic than the difference between SD DVD and BR.

·
Registered
718 Posts
More money does NOT equal better PQ for bluray. Different back to back comparisons have been done between cheaper players and more expensive ones and either found no difference or a slight advantage to the cheaper player like the Pioneer bdp-320 which by the narrowist margins beat the more expensive Marantz players. The Pioneer 320 has the same exact PQ as the Pioneer Elite bdp-09fd. This is all in regards to bluray viewing. DVD viewing will be different especially if the bd player has 24fps upconversation for dvd's, the Pio 320 does not have 24fps for dvd's but the 09fd does.

BD Player Shootout test:

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/thomasnorton/010410BD2/

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/19565067

...and there is the best answer!

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are only a handful of chipsets used in bluray players. Most of them are broadcom . That means that the $300 player and the $99 player are likely to have the same chipset which means the output is going to be the same.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I purchased the Sony BDPS1000es from Vanns.

It was a customer return because they changed their minds.

It still has the 5 year warranty...and the price was right..$135

Thanks to everyone for their help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts