AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the broadcast of the Magic v. Pistons game and the announcers were saying that in the future, (April 29) a special on the Playoffs, in HDTV and "classic" games in HDTV on a regular basis...

How would either of the Satellite companies carry NBA TV after they introduce regular HD programming? I use Dish Network.

Any body have any information regarding this?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Regardless of whether the satellites will offer this service, just how many "classic" NBA games in HD could there possibly be? The 2003 All-Star game? Those are the only clips they showed during that promo. Unless they're going to telecine games that were filmed instead of video'd, the pickins' are going to be slim.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well... Considering the HDEVT channel on DISH does nothing throughout the whole day, why not show these specials? Me, I'm a basketball junkie. Give me all the HD Hoops I can get, baby, but if you air it on a weekday, make sure it's at a reasonable Pacific Coast Time so I don't have to keep leaving work early ;)

-T

·
Registered
260 Posts
Network TV speak translator:

"classic" = rerun

"encore" = rerun

"demand performance" = rerun

"very special blah, blah, blah," = pull out a dvd

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I'm not an NBA fan, but there WERE HDTV games prior to this year. MSG in NY has been producing Knick home games in HD for at least 3 years (albeit a VERY limited audience), HD-Net showed a couple of NBC games last year, and I'd bet that some of the regional FSN's have produced some HD stuff. I'm not sure the "classic" games are only limited to this year.

Ken, I couldn't get through your link...may be my firewall, though.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
For insight into the direction David Stern wants to go:
http://www.auspaytv.com/news/oct02/3001.htm
Very intersting, still, I wonder where all of the classic NBA games for HD can be used as compaired to NFL films?

I've still got my fingers crossed that this Friday's game in Phoenix will not be blacked out in my area since it will not be on a local FSN channel (as far as I know).

·
Registered
323 Posts
In regards to blackouts and stuff, I think an interesting part of the article is this paragraph:

Quote:
To avoid as much viewer cannibalization as possible, the NBA is currently negotiating a deal under which NBA TV's telecasts would be blacked out in the local markets in which Fox Sports Net telecasts are carrying the local game(s). Stern says talks also involve having Fox Sports Net produce the feed for some of the telecasts of NBA TV games, and vice versa. "Fox is an important rightsholder," Stern notes.
Does this mean there are currently no blackout rules regarding these NBA-TV?

If and when a blackout rule is agreed to, I *HOPE* there is stipulation that if an HD feed is being provided by NBA-TV, that feed does not have to be blacked out to the local region, if the local station is not providing an HD feed of its own. I.E., go ahead and blackout the crappy SD version, but don't force us to watch ugly instead of uglier when we could have seen it in HI DEF glory.

Mr. David Stern.. your thoughts?

-T

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live near Tampa and during the Pistons vs. Magic game on Wednesday the SD feed on NBA TV was blacked out in favor of Sunshine Network feed. However the NBA TV HD feed was NOT blacked out..thankfully for me :)

This was on Brighthouse Networks (formerly Time Warner) btw.

·
Registered
323 Posts
LuZZo, were you getting your NBA TV HD feed via Brighthouse Networks as well?

If so, that is very good news, very good news indeed.

-T

·
Registered
226 Posts
Saw my first NBA TV HD greatest games on Dish 9425 HDEVT today.

It was the 2003 All Star game and the PQ was much better than the focus popping of the previous playoff games.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also all portland TrailBlazer home games are in HD.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Remember, HD didn't appear this year. There have been HD cameras and tape decks since the late 1980s. So, it's quite possible that there are actual "classic" HD basketball games made as one-off tests.

Which begs the question: did HD cameras ever capture Jordan at the top of his game?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ender21
The 2003 All-Star game? Those are the only clips they showed during that promo. .
Actually I dont think that footage was of the 03 All Star Game. Kobe Bryant looked way to young and I thought I saw Scottie Pippen. Looked to me like it was that Charity Game MJ played in several years ago during his first retirement. It was on of Pippens charity games and was played at the old Chicago Stadium. Ofcourse, I could be wrong. Later.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sun 4-27 7:00 am PDT 9425 HDEVT

2002 NBA All Star game

Mon 4-28 1:00 pm PDT 9425 HDEVT

2000 NBA Playoffs: Raptors vs Knicks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.