AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More Consumers Drop Pay TV in Q2

By Rachel Cericola
Could tight budgets and cheap streaming options be contributing to the drop in pay TV services?

While many consumers have threatened to cut cable or satellite TV, there are plenty of people out there that have already made that move.

According to GigaOM, 193,000 subscribers recently cut ties with pay TV in the U.S. in Q2 2011.

The report seems to think that those 193,000 households just didn't think what they were paying was worth it. After all, how many of your service's 200-plus channels do you actually watch on a regular basis?

Another reason could be that consumers have more options than ever. Despite the recent backlash against Netflix, many consumers have opted for that as a main method of entertainment, as well as services such as Hulu Plus or devices like Roku and smart TVs.

Click here to continue.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
While I understand the crux of the story and why some people are cutting the cord the numbers stated in the story don't seem to reflect any big change in how people use cable TV. The chart shows loss and gains among different providers and a net loss of 193,000 which seems quite minor when compared to the total number of subscribers. The question remains - is this a short-term or long-term trend?

http://www.ncta.com/Statistics.aspx

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
We cancelled our cable almost 18 months ago shortly after my wife lost her job. When we started tightening the budget it was one of if not the first thing we cut. She still misses the HGTV but catches some of those things online now. I personally don't miss it a bit. We watch a ton of things on Netflix streaming with the Xbox and still get the one at a time disc in the mail. I have an antenna connected to one of our TV's but honestly haven't even used that much. Around this time I got an Amazon Kindle so I find I'm actually reading more than ever.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
When the economy recovers after Obama is voted out of office, we will see people restoring their cable service. The convenience of cable, when matched with a DVR, far exceeds any of the other options available.

It is the loss of disposable income which is causing the drop.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Create and ION offer much of the same type of programming as HGTV and similar pay channels.

·
Registered
624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/20828509

When the economy recovers after Obama is voted out of office, we will see people restoring their cable service. The convenience of cable, when matched with a DVR, far exceeds any of the other options available.

That's probably what it will take for congress to actually do something to help the economy. Can't do anything now that might help Obama's reelection chances. Job, jobs, jobs, but only after Nov. '12.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/20828509

When the right wing religious looneys take over the only tv we will be able to see will be the 24Hr rantings of FOXXX network

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
Folks have yearned for a less expensive, less restrictive (tier system) for content delivery for years .. now that there is some choices, some are moving on .. and it won't change ..

What will happen is more bandwidth crackdown as the CATV / ISP providers try to make up revenue ...

And although political discussion is an AVS no-no .. this trend has nothing to do with DC ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
This article butchered the data by misunderstanding the key metric - Net adds/losses. There were 193,000 NET losses of customers, which means there were far greater number of customers deciding to cut the cord...to the extent that more people are cutting the cord than signing up for service.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
All I know is that to date I have saved about $2000 not having CATV. I didn't replace that with anything new because I was already using Netflix. Money aside, I find that I make better use of my time now that I'm not sucked into TV for hours on end. I read more, exercise more and spend more time with my wife. Time Warner calls me all time begging for me to come back. That might be the best part of all for me. Wankers.

·
Registered
287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 /forum/post/20828425

We cancelled our cable almost 18 months ago shortly after my wife lost her job. When we started tightening the budget it was one of if not the first thing we cut. She still misses the HGTV but catches some of those things online now. I personally don't miss it a bit. We watch a ton of things on Netflix streaming with the Xbox and still get the one at a time disc in the mail. I have an antenna connected to one of our TV's but honestly haven't even used that much. Around this time I got an Amazon Kindle so I find I'm actually reading more than ever.

Same here. I got rid of cable back in 2006 and haven't had it sense. I do not miss it one bit at all either. After a while, you get used to not having it and I just watch what I want when I want on Netflix. Other than that, I still buy blu ray movies and standard movies. I'm on the verge of buying a Kindle as well as I love to read.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I got rid of Directv in February. It had nothing to do with politics, and everything to do with what a poor value it is. I'd watch maybe 4 or 5 channels regularly, and was paying over a hundred bucks a month for the privilege. I'm much happier using Netflix, and borrowing, renting, and buying DVDs and Blurays.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage

Was the encapulated political diatribe really germane or necessary. I suppose it was Obama who was responsible for the great financial crisis and resulting recession and his being voted out of office will drive the great expansion that you seem to omnisiently know will follow.. good grief.

There is a long term structural trend related to real wages and it does not point North. The cable companies lost tocuh with reality on pricing and people not only have less discressionary income, cable pricing increasingly looks out of touch with the customer base. More ala carte type pricing is going to have to come down the pike. I have a Ceton so I use cable TV. I generally only watch maybe 4 or 4 cable channels a month. But I do wath them a lot. CNNHD, CNBHD and ESPHD figure most prominently. The rest are of lttle or no interest to me.

Cable TV pricing and the way it is priced and bundled with internet kind of makes separating the two hard for most consumers. But I applaud the trend of susbscriber loss if it only wakes the Comcasts of the world up to what dire straigths their customers are in.

Clearly with a Ceton I have not cut the cord, but I pay no rental fees, even own the cable modem. I buy the minimal digital service tier available. Not much else I can do. Cable internet alone is the bulk of my monthly bill. I do have an antenna and probably 50 percent of my TV viewing is OTA.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray /forum/post/20830791

Was the encapulated political diatribe really germane or necessary. I suppose it was Obama who was responsible for the great financial crisis and resulting recession and his being voted out of office will drive the great expansion that you seem to omnisiently know will follow.. good grief.

There is a long term structural trend related to real wages and it does not point North. The cable companies lost tocuh with reality on pricing and people not only have less discressionary income, cable pricing increasingly looks out of touch with the customer base. More ala carte type pricing is going to have to come down the pike. I have a Ceton so I use cable TV. I generally only watch maybe 4 or 4 cable channels a month. But I do wath them a lot. CNNHD, CNBHD and ESPHD figure most prominently. The rest are of lttle or no interest to me.

Cable TV pricing and the way it is priced and bundled with internet kind of makes separating the two hard for most consumers. But I applaud the trend of susbscriber loss if it only wakes the Comcasts of the world up to what dire straigths their customers are in.

Clearly with a Ceton I have not cut the cord, but I pay no rental fees, even own the cable modem. I buy the minimal digital service tier available. Not much else I can do. Cable internet alone is the bulk of my monthly bill. I do have an antenna and probably 50 percent of my TV viewing is OTA.

I have to agree on all points! Your summary of the cable-situation is good, and good folks, please leave politics out of discussions on this forum at least. There are enough places to voice your opinion on those topics.

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
Political discussion is banned on AVS ..

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
We haven't dropped cable, but we did change from extended to basic about 6 years ago, we still wanteed the local channels, and can't pick them up over the air. We really only watched 2 or 3 of the extended channel's anyways, and most them just show the same programs over and over. Tune in at 11pm and the same program that was running at 8pm is on again.

Sadly, for high speed internet, cable is the only choice we have, and they keep upping the rates because there is no competition in this area.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I currently have cable and cable internet through a provider called Wide Open West (WOW). I pay $70/month but that's for internet (8 Mbit) and cable bundled. For the high speed internet alone it's $50/month.

I think as long as companies like these (Time Warner, WOW, etc...) are in existence they have us "by the balls". Simply because they provide the access to the outside world, such as Netflix and so on. As soon as these companies catch on to the trend that people are only interested in internet access, I'm sure the rates will start to rise.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.