AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(16) http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ib385-8-15-infinite-baffle-subwoofer--295-455 come to about $2k........it could easily be powered by a QSC5050 or better yet a clone.......

I would like a crawl space under my room 3' or so which would open to the basement. In that space i could lower four cabinets into the floor with (4) drivers per cabinet, roughly 18"x40"?...... It would be a trough so to speak going the width of my future 15' wide room.....

I'm throwing around idea's still for the room that will be build on the home i dont own yet Lol

Wts, can you squeeze 5hz out of a speaker that says 20hz-500hz

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would still go with the Fi drivers over the Dayton. Even though they are twice the price, you get a lot more surface area and twice the throw 14mm (Dayton) to 30mm (Fi). You would move well over twice the volume of air with half the amount of drivers.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJwelr  /t/1521437/more-driver-thoughts-as-to-ib#post_24451913

I would still go with the Fi drivers over the Dayton. Even though they are twice the price, you get a lot more surface area and twice the throw 14mm (Dayton) to 30mm (Fi). You would move well over twice the volume of air with half the amount of drivers.

+1

(unless the rated Xmax isn't correct)

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Sorry to steer this away from topic but....

Am I the only person that thinks Fi makes mediocre drivers?

I'm not sure why people consider them so often as they aren't exactly priced super competitive. Is it really just in the rated Xmax? I mean, do a lot of you look at your options and then go, "I'll go with the Fi cuz it has the most Xmax out of the bunch."? I'd rather have a driver like the Dayton Ultimax with 20mm of rated Xmax over a Fi anything with ~30mm.

I must be nuts or something.

(btw, this is not related to IB optimized T/S specs from driver to driver. Just in general.)

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
KG, I have a 3' crawl space under my living room and two more SI 18"s to use. I've been contemplating this same thing. I'm debating on whether to put a grate in the floor right under the couch with the subs mounted below or putting a grill on the ceiling and have the subs mounted in the attic.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig  /t/1521437/more-driver-thoughts-as-to-ib#post_24452459

KG, I have a 3' crawl space under my living room and two more SI 18"s to use. I've been contemplating this same thing. I'm debating on whether to put a grate in the floor right under the couch with the subs mounted below or putting a grill on the ceiling and have the subs mounted in the attic.

yeah, I want three cabs with 4 Fi's in each. I can lift em out if I have to clean em off or do some testing..... I'm thinking a EP4K can power four drivers, and EQ with the MniDSP.... now im looking at the tactile transducers too....tons of options

1 - 10 of 10 Posts