AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently tested both the A3 and A30 on my Sharp 46in 1080p lcd and there was significantly more grain on nearly all of the 35 hd dvds I tested. Both A3 and A30 were connected using HDMI, and the add on is running though component at 1080i. I know it is not the tv or hdmi cable because I use this same cable & input for PS3 and the PQ is fantastic. Any one else experience this or have suggestions?

Was contemplating getting the A35 but THE GRAIN is stopping me!

Any input or comments welcome for post or PM

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
266 Posts
My experiance is that the add on looks "softer" than the stand alones when I compared it to my buddies A2 and my XA2.

The XA2 for example was sharper and more detailed than my add-on regardless of HDMI or component hook up.

Of course with more detail=seeing flaws or grain easier. I have two PQ settings on my XA2. One for max detail for discs like Hot Fuzz, King Kong etc etc, and one thats softer for movies like 300.

It's your call but I prefer the XA2 and it's easier to make PQ softer than it is to make it clearer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS Z07VETTE!

Anyone else have an opinion on this topic?

Think the A35 is worth purchasing within the next few weeks?

Or waiting until Q3 for the new Toshiba stand alones with better processing and improved load times?

All responses welcome

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

try the A3/A30 with component

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorunit /forum/post/12867503

I recently tested both the A3 and A30 on my Sharp 46in 1080p lcd and there was significantly more grain on nearly all of the 35 hd dvds I tested. Both A3 and A30 were connected using HDMI, and the add on is running though component at 1080i. I know it is not the tv or hdmi cable because I use this same cable & input for PS3 and the PQ is fantastic. Any one else experience this or have suggestions?

Was contemplating getting the A35 but THE GRAIN is stopping me!

Any input or comments welcome for post or PM

Thanks in advance

If you object to film grain, then only get films that have none. Unfortunately, that will eliminate a tremendous number of high caliber films out there.

·
Registered
394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman /forum/post/12884632

try the A3/A30 with component

+1.

You do realize that each device/input to a display typically requires its own calibration?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bobrob

What types of calibration specifically are you pertaining to? How would that adjust/improve the grain?

Didn't have to calibrate anything for the ps3 or Xbox add on........

Thanks

Also I Currently Have a Sharp 46 Aquos, but may be exchanging for a Samsung 46 in the next week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts