AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw in the paper last week that three more Green Bay affiliates are simulcasting in HD - WBAY, WLUK, and WGBA.

Has anyone here heard anything about Time Warner starting to carry any of these feeds? I've seen tons of odd channels added to TW's lineup lately, but I think that's for their on-demand stuff.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I can pick up all 3 stations in HD now...Who-Hoo! Time warners last mailer said something to the effect of "Ask about HDTV..HD-cable boxes now available". This just might mean HBOHD and SHOWTIMEHD. Not nesassarily Local HD. You might just have to give them a call.

Mike F.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Mike,

I hope you were wearing that stormtrooper helmet earlier, it sounds like the weather might have been a bit nasty in your area!

I can tune in ABC and CBS on my DST-3000 now (signal strength 90-100) but am only getting a signal strength of around 25 for NBC, and nothing as far as picture and sound. Do you know if all three stations have their antennas located on Scrays Hill? I haven't had a chance to adjust my antenna yet but thought they would probably come in at similar strength? I live 30 miles north of Green Bay.

Curt

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can get WFRV via my Time Warner box (SA3100) - channel 706. But nothing else local has been added yet. I suppose it's a matter of time. And yes - I also get HBO & Showtime in HD too.

Welcome to "almost" tornado alley, huh?

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Although it appears WGBA (26) is broadcasting in HiDef, my Panasonic STB reports the audio as being AC3, but shows the video signal as SD. Indeed, the picture is as lousy as ever on 26 even though it is being tranmitted on a digital channel, 26-1. WBAY and WFRV look great. WLUK is not up yet.

Willie

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Perhaps they're not broadcasting at full strength either.

I just tried adjusting my outdoor antenna but still can't get past the mid-20's for signal strength. It does show the program guide info now, before it didn't.

Curt

·
Registered
323 Posts
MrSquid,

I'm in the same boat as you. I have the TWC SA 3100HD set top box and am only able to pickup HBO, Showtime and CBS. My repeated attempts at calling the local TimeWarner office - I think they're getting sick of me - has left me with, "we are currently in negotiations with WBAY and expect to offer them by the end of May."

On a side note, has anyone seen the 3-second WFRV (CBS) ads shot in HD? One shot is of college avenue (Appleton); and another is the Fox River. Absolutely stunning!

Jim

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured they were probably in the midst of getting a signal established. I didn't bother to call because I find it's a rare case when the person who answers the phone can actually give you useful information there.

I'll have to watch for the HD spots on WFRV - now that summer is trying to show up, it seems that the only shows I intentionally try to catch are "Band of Brothers" and "CSI".

·
Registered
323 Posts
MrSquid and others........

When you become aware that TWC is adding more HD channels- such as WBAY - please post it here. I'll do the same. Hopefully in a couple of weeks we will have at least one more channel in HD.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing yet...

I'm hoping that we'll wake up on June 16th and see DiscoveryHD AND some of our local HD channels magically appear. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a little more info from a source at WBAY

"Well it looks like I confused both of us! WFRV is currently running 10% of

the maximum allowed power, ie, 100 kw. We are the only station running

the maximum allowed power of 1000 kw at this time. WGBA is running 10% or less at this time I believe. They are doing that for economic reasons. However, they will have to build larger facilities within a year or so. Right now, the FCC rules permit low power facilities covering only the city of license, ie, Green Bay and they have elected to go that route

temporarily. (As has WACY-32) . I don't know what WLUK's plans are or if

they have even started construction yet. Hope this helps clear up the

confusion."

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Are you guys having trouble getting in WFRV with your Time Warner HD box lately? My screen keeps on blacking out-I get sound, though. HBOHD & ShowHD come in great-no problems.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tboo
Are you guys having trouble getting in WFRV with your Time Warner HD box lately? My screen keeps on blacking out-I get sound, though. HBOHD & ShowHD come in great-no problems.

I thought it was just me! The last two nights WFRV has been fading in and out. Hopefully they will have the problem fixed by Thursday so I can watch CSI.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrSquid
Nothing yet...

I'm hoping that we'll wake up on June 16th and see DiscoveryHD AND some of our local HD channels magically appear. :)

What is significant about June 16th? Also, I believe that TWC in Milwaukee

is providing the PBS HD "loop." Hopefully soon we can add this channel to our lineup.

Still haven't heard anything from WBAY. Just the "we are currently

negotiating with TWC..........." :(

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haven't even had my TV on lately... damn summer weather! Well... except for the last few days I guess. But the last time I watched WFRV-HD I didn't have any problems. My cable modem did seem to be having problems Monday night - I wonder if there's a correlation?

June 16th is the rollout date for Discovery-HD.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mighty fine question.... I'll have to try to remember to look tonight to see.

I'm guessing............................................. no. :(

The 16th was just the roll-out date for Discovery-HD though, so HOPEFULLY that's one that we'll see soon.

EDIT>>>>

OK - I just saw that I was wrong on the date of the 16th... turns out the 17th was the Discovery-HD rollout date. Sorry sorry sorry - but since today IS the 17th...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Okay, I received today an email reply from WBAY's operations manager, Dick Millhiser.

" Dear Jim We have given TW written permission to carry our HDTV signal until a formal agreement can be worked out. Also you can get WBAY-DT 23 with a UHF ant. Richard Millhiser...Operations Manager"

Hopefully this means TimeWarner will be carrying WBAY-ABC soon.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.