AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting the itch to upgrade my AVR and this model looks very good. Some questions -

1) It's listed as a factory refurb for a good price on harmanaudio.com. Is this likely to be one of the older, buggier units? Would they be able to give me the manufacture date over the phone? Would it be worth the price difference to get a brand new unit?

2) I was also considering a BFD to tame a nasty peak in my bass response. (Not sure of the frequency, but Blue Man Group definitely hits it ! ) It sounds like the EQ feature of the 635 will do the job. Any thoughts on 635 vs. BFD?

3) How does the H/K handle bass management for multi-channel audio? My Onkyo has separate speaker level settings for the analog inputs. I like this feature but it's not a deal-breaker.

Thanks,

DE

·
Registered
986 Posts
DE,

1) I looked at the price for refurbed 635's on harmanaudio.com, and it is more expensive than what I paid for a new one from J&R. So forget about that option. I am not sure if I can mention price, but many of us have bought the 635 from J&R for under $700, with free shipping and no tax outside of NY. If you want to try to get a deal, refurbed 635's are now showing up on H/K's ebay store, but you'll likely end up paying not much less than for a new one from J&R.

2) I have never used a BFD, but I would imagine you have much more control with the BFD. As far as results go, the 635's EQ may mimic the BFD. But I don't know. I have an SVS sub, and the 635's EQ has definitely made the bass tighter. But as to objective tests, I don't quite know since I don't know how to run tests for peaks, etc. But I am pleased with the results.

3) There is no bass management for multi-channel audio anymore in the H/K 635. It was in the 525 and 630. But you can adjust speaker level settings in the 6-channel input. It just won't redirect the bass using a crossover. That will have to be controlled by your DVD player.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response - that's a great tip about J&R. I'll be watching to see if they get some in stock - looks like they're out right now.

I figure the BFD is more capable, but my expectations for the EQ are not super-high. As long as I can tame the worst of the peaks in the bass, I'll be a happy camper.

It's a bummer about the lack of BM, but not a show-stopper. I have a Pioneer 578 universal player, which I believe has a fixed crossover. Anyone have experience using the 635 with one of the Pioneer 5xx players?

Thx,

DE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.