AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went back to the Wal-Mart in Rogers, AR today and now they are selling several more HD items. As far as actual TVs go, they now have 32", 52", 55", and 60" sets (all by either RCA or Philips). The associate I talked to said that the smaller direct-view sets (32" and 36") are selling quite well.

Also, they are selling the RCA DTC-100 for $468 - which, AFAIK, does not require a contract.

They are using an RCA RC6000P dvd player showing Toy Story 2 to demo all the sets. They are using component inputs on all of them, but I thought that the picture looked very bad. However, I spoke to a few people that were looking at them, and they remarked how good they thought the picture was. (Non-HT people of course...)

Anyways, I hope this doesn't start another ******* war. I just see it as good news for the HDTV cause.

~

chris brown

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Chris,

Are any of these TVs 16:9, or are they all 4:3 sets? I know one of the old concerns when DVD started to go mainstream was that the "walmart crowd" would demand pan and scan, ending videophiles enjoyment of OAR on DVD. That didn't happen, but it would be rather reassuring to see some 16:9 TVs in Walmart.

Jim

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure both of the direct view sets are 16:9, and the 61" is as well. All of the others are 4:3.

~

chris brown

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure they were using the progressive output on the dvd player, so it was 480p that they were showing. However, IMO, I don't think that the RC6000P is a very good player. I bought one and returned it the same day a few weeks ago. When being line-doubled by my Hitachi 53SDX01B, my old interlaced dvd player looked better than the RC6000P.

~

chris brown

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tragick:
When being line-doubled by my Hitachi 53SDX01B, my old interlaced dvd player looked better than the RC6000P.
If my experience with the 53SDX01B is anything to go by, it's doubler is particularly good and makes the low end progressive players look not so good.

Greg

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for the update. Why did you think the picture looked bad? Did it appear to be 480p? If so, then I would be in with the WalMart crowd and say that the picture looked pretty good, also.

I know 480p is no where near as good as 1080i, but IMO, it is light years ahead of 480i. I had kind of forgotten how bad non-doubled 480i was until I visited my sister's house, who had just recently purchased a big screen standard definition TV. HORRIBLE picture is an understatement. I couldn't believe she could even watch it.

Anyway, I am just curious to know what the WalMart customers were impressed with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.